British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Changes Have To Be Made In 2017?

10 pages into a thread about next year and all we have seen are suggestions to turn the clock back 30 or 40 years.

The issue above all else that needs addressing is the one that even the BSPA realise they got wrong, namely the ridiculous EDR scheme.

We have to keep the EDR scheme on the grounds of cost but the following adjustments have to be made IMO:-

1. The team that finishes bottom get first pick and the team that finishes top get last pick, no ifs, no buts, no protected assets nonsense.

2. Any EDR'swhose average takes them into the 1-5 may only ride at No's 2or4. No more EDR's getting blown away in heatleader roles.

3. Get rid of the huge gap between the best and worst EDR's. It needs to be looked at carefully but should be something like EDR's to be selected from PL second strings or NL No1's. No more Newmans, Worralls, Auty's, etc dominating the EDR . riders of that standard need to earn their EL team place on merit.

4. I am tempted to say that reserves be limited to six rides. I invite opinions on that. I can see flaws in the suggestion which others might be able to improve upon but we need to stop bona fide second strings and heatleaders dropping to reserve and being able to score 18 or 20 points. Riders like Lewis Bridger, Bjarne Pedersen, and Nikolai Klindnt should never be in protected heats against genuine EDRs

• Like 1

10 pages into a thread about next year and all we have seen are suggestions to turn the clock back 30 or 40 years.

The issue above all else that needs addressing is the one that even the BSPA realise they got wrong, namely the ridiculous EDR scheme.

We have to keep the EDR scheme on the grounds of cost but the following adjustments have to be made IMO:-

1. The team that finishes bottom get first pick and the team that finishes top get last pick, no ifs, no buts, no protected assets nonsense.

2. Any EDR'swhose average takes them into the 1-5 may only ride at No's 2or4. No more EDR's getting blown away in heatleader roles.

3. Get rid of the huge gap between the best and worst EDR's. It needs to be looked at carefully but should be something like EDR's to be selected from PL second strings or NL No1's. No more Newmans, Worralls, Auty's, etc dominating the EDR . riders of that standard need to earn their EL team place on merit.

4. I am tempted to say that reserves be limited to six rides. I invite opinions on that. I can see flaws in the suggestion which others might be able to improve upon but we need to stop bona fide second strings and heatleaders dropping to reserve and being able to score 18 or 20 points. Riders like Lewis Bridger, Bjarne Pedersen, and Nikolai Klindnt should never be in protected heats against genuine EDRs

So sorting the EDR system is gonna be the saviour of EL?

I severely doubt it.

Play off's are in many sports now...in theory it doesn't make sense for all the reasons mentioned. Imo, it's a 'modern' mindset, where people want more from their sport.

Same could be said for penalty shoot outs to decide important football match's. When you consider all the hard work during a season, and then it comes down to a few penalties.

I understand that fella...however...music at an event, especially in a high adrenalin sport like speedway, can be used to build the excitement and anticipation to the main event.

I experienced last night, the worst chosen music for any sporting event I've ever been too. It actually made me feel depressed and sleepy. I felt so strongly about it, that I mentioned it in the Somerset match thread.

I've seen it done well at Swindon...as mentioned. 'Appropriate' music to set the atmosphere.

It really can enhance an experience or ruin it.

It's not expensive or rocket science...but done poorly can really darken the mood.

If after 2 legs of the play offs we have a draw it goes to Golden heat. A seasons work down to 1 heat, its exactly the same as football and any other sports

I agree with having music to enhance the build up to main meeting and on a victory parade which adds atmosphere but personally, between heats, I was always self-absorbed for reasons given previously.

When I used to watch the Oxford City 'Stars' (Ice Hockey) they would be introduced to the crowd with flashing lights and the theme to Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds' which really added to the occasion.

The music wasn't anything special at the NSS for the World Cup final. When the speedway is that good nobody gives a stuff about the music.

Blaming the presentation and the music is usually a screen to cover up a poor product

• Like 1

I've got a good idea. Scrap the names Elite League, Premier League and National League and rename them as Qualifying Rounds Division One, Two and Three for the National Trophy in each Division.

Because that is what it is nowadays.

The thread is not about a saviour for the EL its about changes for 2017. Sorting out the EDR will not necessarily save the EL but it will be one less nail in the coffin, and will certainly be more beneficial to keeping the existing fans than pandering to those of yesteryear who are unlikely to return unless we revert to a 20 race programme including a second half all for £10 . It is something that needs immediate attention if the league is to be a semblance of fair competition.

In all honesty, look at my suggestion and compare it with TWK's above post suggesting we simply change the names. Which one is most likely to result in something like a level playing field (or speedway track ) ?

The thread is not about a saviour for the EL its about changes for 2017. Sorting out the EDR will not necessarily save the EL but it will be one less nail in the coffin, and will certainly be more beneficial to keeping the existing fans than pandering to those of yesteryear who are unlikely to return unless we revert to a 20 race programme including a second half all for £10 . It is something that needs immediate attention if the league is to be a semblance of fair competition.

In all honesty, look at my suggestion and compare it with TWK's above post suggesting we simply change the names. Which one is most likely to result in something like a level playing field (or speedway track ) ?

It's not a question of pandering but what's deemed as value for money. If people feel that fifteen (?) heats of racing is good value at £15/£16/£17 (or whatever the price is now) then that's fair enough but it doesn't represent good value for money as far as I'm concerned for reasons given elsewhere.

Edited by steve roberts

Surely all promoters realise the EDR rules haven't worked this season, 100% they'll do something different regards that. I think they need to "go back to the start" with this league, tracks being number one ....

Would the Elite league be more attractive in 2017 if it consisted of ten clubs again?

If the answer to that is yes, then to keep them up, the most financially solvent clubs from the Premiership would have to be promoted.

My reasoning is that the clubs who've dropped out in recent seasons all did so due to cash problems.

Would the Elite league be more attractive in 2017 if it consisted of ten clubs again?

If the answer to that is yes, then to keep them up, the most financially solvent clubs from the Premiership would have to be promoted.

My reasoning is that the clubs who've dropped out in recent seasons all did so due to cash problems.

Dont think many PL teams would take the chance to move up for financial reasonsIMO.

It's not a question of pandering but what's deemed as value for money. If people feel that fifteen (?) heats of racing is good value at £15/£16/£17 (or whatever the price is now) then that's fair enough but it doesn't represent good value for money as far as I'm concerned for reasons given elsewhere.

People are more than happy with 15 heats as long they are a good ...to most it would be the near of bottom of the problems speedway has ...as I said the only people who want second half's back are the over 55's the same people who want no double points no play offs no sky and one off world finals and the Golden helmet back .

People are more than happy with 15 heats as long they are a good ...to most it would be the near of bottom of the problems speedway has ...as I said the only people who want second half's back are the over 55's the same people who want no double points no play offs no sky and one off world finals and the Golden helmet back .

Bit of a generalisation but that's fine if the assumption is correct....and if people regard fifteen heats of racing as good value then, again, that's fine but it doesn't represent good value to me and wouldn't entice me back to the sport especially the fact that I would have to put petrol in my car and drive fifty miles to my nearest speedway.

Strikes me that it's the over 55's who are keeping the sport going judging, apparently, by the lack of youngsters now attending?

I'm not advocating that the re-introduction of any of the above would dramatically increase attendances but clearly speedway is in trouble and something drastic needs to be done to buck the trend and thereby attract new fans (and riders) to the sport. There lies the crux.

Anybody have a magic wand?

Edited by steve roberts

Needs to go ASAP!!!!!!!!!

EDR was not for cost saving it was to bring riders on or was it just to save money which is what I have always said poor show if the EL can't function without it !!!

A bit of both I suspect but why they didn't sort the averages out this season, taking away any scores from the protected heats and then not using the protected heats in this year's averages I know not ....

Dont think many PL teams would take the chance to move up for financial reasonsIMO.

Add to that ,, sporadic fixtures pandering to Poland , and the boredom of seeing same teams every few weeks , Only an Egomaniac Like Hemsley could possibly view Elite League as an improvement , as for music . for me it only enhances memories ,certain songs from back when music was music .immediately transport me to a certain track at a certain time .Oddly enough theres not one for my home track of over 50 years . modern muzak does absolutley nothing for me . squawking teenage bints and black rappers certainly are no enhancement to my entertainment , much rahter a bit of banter between opposing fans or just a sensible conversation with a friend suits me . and certainly "smack my bitch up and shoot ma bro " is not going to create and pleasant memories

• Like 4