British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hot Shoe

Swindon's New Stadium

Please pleae please Swindon promotion, take your time to get the track right. Is Cardiff the right shape? Thought the Warsaw shape was better for a small track.

For gods sake get it right. You have a blank canvas. No excuses.

• Like 2

Please pleae please Swindon promotion, take your time to get the track right. Is Cardiff the right shape? Thought the Warsaw shape was better for a small track.

They seem in the past to have changed their mind, originally it was going to be the shape of Birmingham, now it seems to be of Cardiff, but agree they need to get it right the first time.

I hope it allows for fast racing with different racing lines.

• Like 1

Depends a lot on what shape/size they want the greyhound track?!

• Like 2

They seem in the past to have changed their mind, originally it was going to be the shape of Birmingham, now it seems to be of Cardiff, but agree they need to get it right the first time.

I hope it allows for fast racing with different racing lines.

Would Scunthorpe not be suitable as a better template for a "smaller" track? How hard would it be just to clone that one?

• Like 2

It hates me to say it being a Wolves supporter,but the shape of the old Dudley Wood track would take some beating.Its always been said it was the same shape as Wembley(but couldn't see it myself).

Of course now having Colin Pratt at Swindon,he would have first hand knowledge of the old Cradley venue,and im sure he will probably have some imput for Blunsdon,s future development.

:drink::t:

While we are on the topic of good news i wonder what Doyley's good news to find out later today is all about?

Probably the same as Chris Holders, whatever that was... :o

Edited by Starman2006

:drink::t:

While we are on the topic of good news i wonder what Doyley's good news to find out later today is all about?

He has signed for Rospiggarna for 2017.

If Helmsley is no longer involved at Leicester, we could ask him...

Didn't Helmsley utilise the 'expertise' of former Leicester legend Ray Wilson when designing the track?

Not so sure the new Swindon track does have a blank canvas. There are bound to be constraints and restrictions which dictate the shape and size.

You would think however that if there is an opportunity to choose, they would base it on the Scunthorpe, Somerset shape. If the track needs to be smaller, then maybe Wimbledon or even Hackney? Others who visited those two old tracks may have some more intuitive input as I only managed a couple of visits there.

Can't see how it's a blank canvas for Swindon Speedway.

The only certainty is they'll have a track, surely Gaming International will dictate the shape and size as primarily Swindon will be a dog track first & foremost??

• Like 1

You'll have to fit it inside a dog track, yes?

So there will be size issues.. Also, banking might be an issue because the doggies will need to be seen all the way around the track from the main stand? So, the banking won't be allowed to be to high, as it will obstruct parts of the dog track bends..? Just a thought....

If we can't have banking that's higher than the dog track, would there be a drainage issue if we had the track and centre green sunk down, with the banking at ground level?

If we can't have banking that's higher than the dog track, would there be a drainage issue if we had the track and centre green sunk down, with the banking at ground level?

Hopefully they will design it to have drainage between the dog track and the speedway track, and then good drainage on the inside of the speedway track, one can only hope that someone who knows what they are doing is involved with the design.

Didn't Helmsley utilise the 'expertise' of former Leicester legend Ray Wilson when designing the track?

Not so sure the new Swindon track does have a blank canvas. There are bound to be constraints and restrictions which dictate the shape and size.

You would think however that if there is an opportunity to choose, they would base it on the Scunthorpe, Somerset shape. If the track needs to be smaller, then maybe Wimbledon or even Hackney? Others who visited those two old tracks may have some more intuitive input as I only managed a couple of visits there.

Sure it wasn't Jocky Wilson?😁

(One for the teenagers there)...😉

Edited by mikebv