British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProperSport

Speedway Gp's 2017

Similarly I'd been told how expensive drinking in Finland was, but was in helsinki last week and prices barely different to what you would pay in aussie or nz.

Alcohol prices are ridiculous in Australia.

Alcohol prices are ridiculous in Australia.

You could say the same about London.

We were in a restaurant in Norrkopping once after a Vargarna meeting. One of the crew was served a very expensive piece of fish that wasn't fit to give the cat. The owner had kindly stayed open for us but the chef had gone home so he offered him two free beers - which were worth more than the fish...

Glad to hear it's more affordable now. Only place where I've been breath tested before being allowed into a disco, just in case I was drunk. Okay, the bouncers walked along the queue to see if they could smell alcohol on people's breath.

Wonderful city plus world-class speedway, what more could you want? Wish I was going.

Australias booze prices are outrageous, $13.50 for a pint of heinekien!!!

My wife & I had our honeymoon in Prague & went to the go the year sayfutinov won his 1 st go

beautiful city lovely people highly recommended

Ive been to Prague 3 times now. So much to do, cheap, really easy to get to the stadium on a tram and if you buy a 3 or 5 day bus/tram/metro pass it really doesn't cost much at all to get around. Plenty to do for people aged 12 to 100 there,

I visited the Wasa museet a year ago and remember there being talks of closing it, as the ship cant "take the weather" anymore and has started to combust or something like that. Must be some info online if you google it. But anyway, visit it now.

I visited the Wasa museet a year ago and remember there being talks of closing it, as the ship cant "take the weather" anymore and has started to combust or something like that.

I went there last week. The problem is primarily the original preservation solution that was sprayed on the ship which seems to slowly be dissolving the ship, plus the humidity from all the visitors was encouraging mould to grow (although new air conditioning has apparently reduced the problem).

The irony is that the ship was much better preserved when it was underwater in the harbour because the pollution prevented anything from growing..

I went there last week. The problem is primarily the original preservation solution that was sprayed on the ship which seems to slowly be dissolving the ship, plus the humidity from all the visitors was encouraging mould to grow (although new air conditioning has apparently reduced the problem).

The irony is that the ship was much better preserved when it was underwater in the harbour because the pollution prevented anything from growing..

Well it was after all in the most contaminated sea there is! Itämeri in Finnish, Baltic sea in English.

I visited the Wasa museet a year ago and remember there being talks of closing it, as the ship cant "take the weather" anymore and has started to combust

or something like that. Must be some info online if you google it. But anyway, visit it now.

As said it's the old preservation fluid but also because of when the ship was salvaged the conservators put allot of iron nails into the hull. The nails then rusted and then contaminated the hull

together with "natural" iron objects such as cannon balls and etc. It is not combusting but the hull is (very) slowly shrinking/deforming due to it being very heavy.

Read more about it here: http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/preservation/re-consevation

Edited by Ghostwalker

Thanks very much for the replies

Will keep you posted upon what I book but very much appreciated - Sweden does indeed sound good

Thanks

Chriis

A trip to Warsaw for a GP is good.Have been myself in 2015 and 2016.Stadium easily accessible,flights and hotels very reasonable too.

As said it's the old preservation fluid

Maybe they should use the stuff Greg Hancock's on instead :wink: .

Some good advice given already. Main point I will make is to do it all yourself, do NOT use STT unless you have money to give away. We've done GPs abroad for less than half the price of the tours. Tickets can be easily booked on the Speedway GP website, as can flights using Ryanair, Easyjet or whatever one suits you. Hotels are easy for find, use Trivago (hotel search engine) to find best deals. If you don't find a deal you like immediately then just wait and keep checking back. Deals change all the time and you get some cracking prices. Travelling from airports to city centres is very easy, use local trains or buses, avoid cabs if you can. Check on trip adviser, loads of information about what train or bus to catch, or simply pop up a post here and ask. A good tip would be Warsaw, great stadium, easy to find, easy to get to and from and Warsaw is a very cheap city to visit.(nice beer too) I have not done Prague, but that too looks pretty straightforward. Final tip would be to be "on the ball" Look at the speedway GP website regularly for confirmation of the dates of GPs and book your flight (and tickets, if it's Poland) ASAP. Once the airlines get wind of a big event you can expect their prices to rise considerably. This can be avoided by stretching out your trip a bit, fly Thursday, return Tuesday for example. As has already been mentioned make a short holiday of it too. Good Luck and enjoy!!

• Like 2

Some good advice given already. Main point I will make is to do it all yourself, do NOT use STT unless you have money to give away. We've done GPs abroad for less than half the price of the tours. Tickets can be easily booked on the Speedway GP website, as can flights using Ryanair, Easyjet or whatever one suits you. Hotels are easy for find, use Trivago (hotel search engine) to find best deals. If you don't find a deal you like immediately then just wait and keep checking back. Deals change all the time and you get some cracking prices. Travelling from airports to city centres is very easy, use local trains or buses, avoid cabs if you can. Check on trip adviser, loads of information about what train or bus to catch, or simply pop up a post here and ask. A good tip would be Warsaw, great stadium, easy to find, easy to get to and from and Warsaw is a very cheap city to visit.(nice beer too) I have not done Prague, but that too looks pretty straightforward. Final tip would be to be "on the ball" Look at the speedway GP website regularly for confirmation of the dates of GPs and book your flight (and tickets, if it's Poland) ASAP. Once the airlines get wind of a big event you can expect their prices to rise considerably. This can be avoided by stretching out your trip a bit, fly Thursday, return Tuesday for example. As has already been mentioned make a short holiday of it too. Good Luck and enjoy!!

I have done Prague, I have been to the last three, as others have said, lovely city, cheap food and drink, crazy cheap public transport, and easy to navigate around. I have stayed in three different hotels and have no complaints about any of them, but dont ignore Travel Plus. You may pay a few quid more but from home to home everything is well organised for you, take a look here.

http://speedwaytours.co.uk/

• Like 1

Done Several GP,s abroad and have always done it independently at about half the cost of the tours, funnily enough a lot if the time they use the same flights.

Prague was nice and so was Stockholm but generally enjoyed them all but the costs do seem to rise every year.

Edited by bigcatdiary