British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

GRW 123 wrote " but for the true followers of the Sport, this year has been a massive turn-off.

Its all too easy to point fingers, but the fact remains, the Club made some bad decisions. The way the fans are kept in the dark, and taken for a ride, amounts to contempt of the highest order. Yes, we have to move on, but not before we have learnt from these bad times, ensuring they never happen again"

AND I totally agree with him about the above and his excellent critique of the riders who should Go and who should Stay.

However I fear that with the same promotion it is obvious that no lessons have been or will be learnt. There is no willingness to learn and that is the only way that progress can be made. Whoever really made those bad decisions ( wether Lyon, Allit or Chapman ) appear to show little sincere concern about the future. Without a new Promoter I just can't see things changing - even if the sport is re-structured yet again under Buster's leadership of the BSPA. The "massive turn off" referred to has certainly been true for me personally and after attending for all of the KLS seasons since they started at Saddlebow Rd. I am most unlikely to go next year.

The season at last, has finished. Its so disappointing our season has ended this early. We started out back in March, with huge potential, with high PO and KO Cup intentions, but finished up as Wooden spoon contenders. In the end we couldn't buy a win. Cant believe something that felt so good should have finished so poor. Probably, only the likes of Batch and Holder will gain any satisfaction from the way things turned out, but for the true followers of the Sport, this year has been a massive turn-off.

Its all too easy to point fingers, but the fact remains, the Club made some bad decisions. The way the fans are kept in the dark, and taken for a ride, amounts to contempt of the highest order. Yes, we have to move on, but not before we have learnt from these bad times, ensuring they never happen again...

As for the riders we used, some were good, some were poor, and those who I would welcome back.

Holder; Batchelor: Quality riders not always at their best. Both thought more of themselves than the Fans or the Club, Pleased they've gone.

Robert Lambert: Disappointed he hasn't progressed as quick as I thought he would. He has more ability than most, His scores are not as consistent as they ought to be. Obviously talented and has a grand future, but needs to put more importance into his riding, Too many excuses, and too many last places for someone who is supposed to be a future World Champion. Probably next year he'll step up, (Keep)

THJ: Massive disappointment. A mere shadow of the rider he once was. For him to stay he has to have a massive upturn in form. (Go)

MPT: Been around a long time, Development has been slow. But I feel next year could be his best. (Keep)

Huckenbeck: Started off brilliantly but faded as the season wore on. To me he didn't do enough as often as he ought. Unless total commitment (Go)

Jorgensen : Star of our season. a tremendous acquisition. (Keep)

Rose: Good early season form, Too injuries prone. (Go)

Porsing: Potentially good, but oh dear, always a problem, always an excuse. Had too many chances (Go)

Simon Lambert: Way past his best. Now not good enough . (Go)

Auty: Needs to belong somewhere. Too good to let go (Keep)

Bailey: Way out of his depth... (Go)

Promotions need to do a lot better...

I agree will all of the above but most of our problems was self inflicted we basically got what we deserve. The promotion needs to take a long hard look at its self and how it treats its fans .

I've not attended a meeting at KL since July 1st and I won't be returning till attitudes change off track .

• Like 1

Don't forget the Pairs trophy Robert and Chris won early in the season....

Buster, given what he said after the meeting Wednesday, is aware of the lack of communication and has plans to improve things.

Buster can certainly talk the talk.........

So can some on here.

Buster, given what he said after the meeting Wednesday, is aware of the lack of communication and has plans to improve things.

Hurray! I will be watching and listening closely to see if enough changes are made to KLS to tempt me back to Saddlebow Rd. in 2018

I'm pretty sure he said that this time last year as well.

• Like 1

Out of interest, what was the crowd like on Wednesday night.

I believe you make a tremendous PR officer, You obviously love the club and have their best interest at heart, But if you were in that position, would you be told everything ?? :wink:

The season at last, has finished. Its so disappointing our season has ended this early. We started out back in March, with huge potential, with high PO and KO Cup intentions, but finished up as Wooden spoon contenders. In the end we couldn't buy a win. Cant believe something that felt so good should have finished so poor. Probably, only the likes of Batch and Holder will gain any satisfaction from the way things turned out, but for the true followers of the Sport, this year has been a massive turn-off.

Its all too easy to point fingers, but the fact remains, the Club made some bad decisions. The way the fans are kept in the dark, and taken for a ride, amounts to contempt of the highest order. Yes, we have to move on, but not before we have learnt from these bad times, ensuring they never happen again...

As for the riders we used, some were good, some were poor, and those who I would welcome back.

Holder; Batchelor: Quality riders not always at their best. Both thought more of themselves than the Fans or the Club, Pleased they've gone.

Robert Lambert: Disappointed he hasn't progressed as quick as I thought he would. He has more ability than most, His scores are not as consistent as they ought to be. Obviously talented and has a grand future, but needs to put more importance into his riding, Too many excuses, and too many last places for someone who is supposed to be a future World Champion. Probably next year he'll step up, (Keep)

THJ: Massive disappointment. A mere shadow of the rider he once was. For him to stay he has to have a massive upturn in form. (Go)

MPT: Been around a long time, Development has been slow. But I feel next year could be his best. (Keep)

Huckenbeck: Started off brilliantly but faded as the season wore on. To me he didn't do enough as often as he ought. Unless total commitment (Go)

Jorgensen : Star of our season. a tremendous acquisition. (Keep)

Rose: Good early season form, Too injuries prone. (Go)

Porsing: Potentially good, but oh dear, always a problem, always an excuse. Had too many chances (Go)

Simon Lambert: Way past his best. Now not good enough . (Go)

Auty: Needs to belong somewhere. Too good to let go (Keep)

Bailey: Way out of his depth... (Go)

Promotions need to do a lot better...

I agree with all of that apart from Robert Lambert.

I believe he has to move on, even for a year or 2 to benefit his career. It will also benefit King's Lynn as he'd return better and in the prime of his career.

Personally I think he is still doing very well. His average has increased since 2016. Internationally he is making people sit up and take notice. (World Cup apart).

I get the feeling he thinks British Speedway is a joke and we need to start looking after our better riders or else he too will opt out and progress further elsewhere.

So much more pressure put on him this season than was necessary due to the selfish actions of others. The fact he was still able to add to his average despite all that pressure is pretty remarkable IMHO.

• Like 3

So can some on here.

But they aint looking to get people to part with 17 quid + a week are they ?

• Like 3

Personally I think he is still doing very well. His average has increased since 2016. Internationally he is making people sit up and take notice. (World Cup apart).

I get the feeling he thinks British Speedway is a joke and we need to start looking after our better riders or else he too will opt out and progress further elsewhere.

So much more pressure put on him this season than was necessary due to the selfish actions of others. The fact he was still able to add to his average despite all that pressure is pretty remarkable IMHO.

Its all down to opinions, and I take what you say on board. But I've seen Robert ride some unbelievable races, I've seen him pull the most amazing passes you could imagine. This boy has talent coming out of his ears. But that's the problem. It difficult for some of us to witness these feats of magic and then watching him riding about creating no pressure to pass the man in front. As if that will do..

With the experience of 4 yrs in the top league, . You cant tell me there are 15 riders in the league with more latent than him, but the league says there is. He should be much higher in the league of averages than he is. I believe he is happy at the slow progress he is making, But I don't think he aims high enough. I think is the best young talent this country has produced for many a year, and It annoys me to see other young riders making bigger strides than Robert.

I just want him to be that superstar today, rather than wait till tomorrow.....

Some say, 'Tomorrow never comes....'

• Like 3

Out of interest, what was the crowd like on Wednesday night.

Not brilliant of course!!!

Its all down to opinions, and I take what you say on board. But I've seen Robert ride some unbelievable races, I've seen him pull the most amazing passes you could imagine. This boy has talent coming out of his ears. But that's the problem. It difficult for some of us to witness these feats of magic and then watching him riding about creating no pressure to pass the man in front. As if that will do..

With the experience of 4 yrs in the top league, . You cant tell me there are 15 riders in the league with more latent than him, but the league says there is. He should be much higher in the league of averages than he is. I believe he is happy at the slow progress he is making, But I don't think he aims high enough. I think is the best young talent this country has produced for many a year, and It annoys me to see other young riders making bigger strides than Robert.

I just want him to be that superstar today, rather than wait till tomorrow.....

Some say, 'Tomorrow never comes....'

He's doing it his way, who are we to question him? I hope he's enjoying his speedway, don't forget the pressure the riders are under in the Polish Extraliga, they have to feel on top of their job....

I think Lambert has to start making some important decisions.

I think he maybe has to drop Champ and concentrate now on UK/POL and Sweden.

His talents are above Polish 2nd Div and he has had his nursery stint in that league. He needs if poss Polish EXL if he can be promoted correctly or at worse Nice league 1. He certainly also needs to meet the same top riders in Swedish Elite League.

Those should be his main focus and then topped off with things such as World U21 which he still qualifies for and maybe try and get some SGP qualifying experience if possible.

I have had some reservations about him as we have to remember he did get a good grounding in the sport as an under aged rider in Germany before UK. BUT yes he has talent and perhaps its a question of where he rides and the guidance he gets. Seen lots of Forum comments about his Mum being a driving force. I don't know but I think with right Professional guidance he can go a long way.

Nearly all say he has got the talent but its untapping it more on to the big stage.

Much as I like Poole and their promotion of the good young Aussies (incl the likes of Jason Doyle when he was developing), I do find it a shame that a young rider like Lambert with all his talent at a tender young age is not getting pushed forward as much as the likes of young Aussies such as Kurtz/Holder Jr/Fricke etc.

Maybe he does need a move away into team where perhaps not so much pressure put on his like this season also with losing NKI as the established heat leader. He is still only 19 and I think yes after 4 seasons next season needs to be his breakthough year on the big stage.

I hope he makes it as the top level he is one of the few Brits currently who could make it big in the sport. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1