British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

Peter York might be looking for a job soon. :wink:

It would certainly put me off going if he was on the mic.

He covered for Porkie at Wolves about 3 times in 2016.

The dullest dross I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Pleased to see Batchelor is continuing to impress in his native land. He top scored in the heats of Rd3 in the Aussie Championship only to lose out in the final. This form has to bode well for the coming season and show those doubters that form is only temporary whereas skill is more permanent ..

Congratulations also to Justin Sedgmen , not only for leading the point charts but also showing those who doubted him, what a fine prospect he really is..,

What would David Howe come back on ?

A GM? :D

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 1

Pleased to see Batchelor is continuing to impress in his native land. He top scored in the heats of Rd3 in the Aussie Championship only to lose out in the final. This form has to bode well for the coming season and show those doubters that form is only temporary whereas skill is more permanent ..

Congratulations also to Justin Sedgmen , not only for leading the point charts but also showing those who doubted him, what a fine prospect he really is..,

Yes it's great to see Troy doing well in the Aussie championship let's hope he can bring that form back to England with him if he does we will take some stopping (if we can stay injury free)

Troy is in a better place this year, may see some of the Troy of old 😊 I hope he will enjoy his year with his fellow Aussie mate ....

from memory he was still about 5.5 when he packed in...

If he was on 5.5 would he not have his average reduced because of injury and retirement and also a reduction for being English

I would say 3.3 Would be about right think he would then fit in at no 7 lol

If he was on 5.5 would he not have his average reduced because of injury and retirement and also a reduction for being English

7.41 from 2015 before he retired.

Lynn first replacement, after MB had gone, made a mockery of that statement. He knew all about Kings Lynn from his Stack Car days but knew sod all about speedway. He was happy to call the riders by the wrong names and get excited over very little... Fortunately he didn't last very long....

See what you did there, take a small snippet of my post to suit your argument.

Do you need knowledge of the sport to be a Speedway presenter? NO

If you'd copied my whole post you would have seen "A good modern sense of humour is also a requirement and being able to hold a crowd."

The guy that Buster brought in as a replacement failed on those points rather than a lack of knowledge.

He just got on everybody's t!ts with his shouting & every week dragged the same 2 supporters on the track for score predictions.

I don't think there's one presenter out tnere who doesn't get riders names wrong.

Speedway experts on the TV fluff that up quite regularly.

Was Bennetts background Radio ? Maybe Bustet could tempt a Body from KLFM to give it a go. Gift of the gab would get you a long way. The nuts n bolts of the Sport they could pick up along the way. Or How about Mark Herle ? Does a lot of interviewers at The Football Club and Radio Norfolkk think he likes his Speedway.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

See what you did there, take a small snippet of my post to suit your argument.

Do you need knowledge of the sport to be a Speedway presenter? NO

If you'd copied my whole post you would have seen "A good modern sense of humour is also a requirement and being able to hold a crowd."

The guy that Buster brought in as a replacement failed on those points rather than a lack of knowledge.

He just got on everybody's t!ts with his shouting & every week dragged the same 2 supporters on the track for score predictions.

I don't think there's one presenter out tnere who doesn't get riders names wrong.

Speedway experts on the TV fluff that up quite regularly.

Good Morning !! ,

Obviously you are in a contemptuous mood with your reply, the only reason I showed part of your comment was the part I have a problem with. I agreed with the rest.. Of course you need a sense of humour and be able to hold the hold, but foremost you need that knowledge of the sport. To say that is not so is ridiculous...

If or when you project the competence, of someone who knows what he's talking about, it will be far easier to hold their interest. If you cant do that you're on a loser to start with.. Once you have their attention, then its not what you say but how it comes across.

• Like 1

i have since checked the BSPA listing.

His final average listing for 2015 was 6.72.

Yeah Id let you have him on 3.3..... 😂😂

Good Morning !! ,

Obviously you are in a contemptuous mood with your reply, the only reason I showed part of your comment was the part I have a problem with. I agreed with the rest.. Of course you need a sense of humour and be able to hold the hold, but foremost you need that knowledge of the sport. To say that is not so is ridiculous...

If or when you project the competence, of someone who knows what he's talking about, it will be far easier to hold their interest. If you cant do that you're on a loser to start with.. Once you have their attention, then its not what you say but how it comes across.

I don't disagree with most of that, except the knowledge of the sport part as a requirement.

Someone who's never been very easily pick up the basics i.e. 7 per team, 4 riders per heat, 15 heats etc etc.

Would the man in the middle hold a crowd at King's Lynn v Belle Vue and starts blabbering on about Glasgow's history?

Or standing there reciting the rule book etc?

For me, what's important is the man in the middle does basic research on a meeting by meeting basis, talk to & about the both teams current riders rather than what that team did in 1973.

If what happened in 1973 with King's Lynn or the away side is important, well I couldn't tell you but a couple of taps into Google and you'd believe I have a vast knowledge.

Knowledge is unimportant, research is important, they're not the same thing.

obviously a no 7 that can do more than just make the numbers up is the aim but on the average that's available i think we will be very lucky to find a no7 that will score freely - I still think the position will be changed once the averages change .

given the strength of this kl side I would be amazed if you have points spare to strengthen at 7 once the first averages come out. I think you will be at least a couple of points over the limit.
  • Like 1

given the strength of this kl side I would be amazed if you have points spare to strengthen at 7 once the first averages come out. I think you will be at least a couple of points over the limit.

With you on that & that's why I think King's Lynn are taking their time over the No7 position.

Whoever it is will have done their job if they can maintain or add ½ a point on their average.

Think it will be the same for the majority of the teams that if they wish to change a No7 rider they'll end up having to replace 2 riders to do that.