British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

The Pzms New Two Team Rule.

Correct. They could also make it a term of getting a contract that the rider is available for practice 7 days if they wanted. As it is, it's probably not an unreasonable restriction, so long as they are paying riders sufficiently well to still make it worth signing.

I would imagine it will put "fringe" riders like harris and cook off signing for polish clubs, when there is no guarantee of meetings.

Indeed, many self-employed people (me included) have had contracts that restricted their ability to work for third parties.

What amuses me is the indignation on here from so many British posters, completely oblivious to the fact that this is exactly the same way the BSPA behaved in the 70s and 80s when we had the world's top league.

• Like 2

This is absurd and incredibly arrogant. Can't for one minute think many riders who ride in the EL and have done so for many years, will bow to this demand.

Unfortunately how many Elite League riders are there that ride in both leagues? Off the top of my head I would say 5 or 6. As we know the Polish League pays more and has a bit more kudos Than the Elite League. You are quite correct though in that it is quite arrogant of them.

The top Danes certainly won't go for it.

They have to ride a certain amount of meetings in there own league and certainly want to maintain their Swedish commitments.

• Like 1

The top Danes certainly won't go for it.

They have to ride a certain amount of meetings in there own league

No they don't.

Fair play to the Poles.

They know they have the best hand to play and that riders won't jeopardise the top dollar they get there.

As regards legality, how is this any different to any other contractor agreement where it's stipulated they can't provide their services elsewhere? Simply conflict of interests surely?

Wouldn't get this issue if speedway was a proper team sport with one rider, one club .

Edited by frigbo

The water has been defrosting for a while but that feels like a step on the river that will crack the ice per se.

I don’t think it will go down well with a lot of riders, the last thing a club wants to do is interfere with their wage packets.

While I understand this won’t apply in every instance and is based on hearsay and rumour – I think a few who race in Britain probably like the assurance of a guaranteed income which may not compare to Poland, but can be relied upon – with the somewhat chequered history of some Polish sides and their pay history it might put some in quite an awkward situation.

Interesting times.

The water has been defrosting for a while but that feels like a step on the river that will crack the ice per se.

I don’t think it will go down well with a lot of riders, the last thing a club wants to do is interfere with their wage packets.

While I understand this won’t apply in every instance and is based on hearsay and rumour – I think a few who race in Britain probably like the assurance of a guaranteed income which may not compare to Poland, but can be relied upon – with the somewhat chequered history of some Polish sides and their pay history it might put some in quite an awkward situation.

Interesting times.

Hmmm

Hmmm

There isn’t much point trying to be a clever arse about it given it evidently applies in certain instances – the likes of Poole and Wolves are clearly well run clubs who have created a bond and loyalty between them and the riders who appear for them.

Riders affected by the PZM rule who ride EL.

Zagar

Hougaard

Jonsson

Nilsson

Harris

Iversen

Batchelor

Holder

Andersen

Lindgren

Woffinden

Fricke

Thorsell

Masters

Doyle

Wozniak

There isnt much point trying to be a clever arse about it given it evidently applies in certain instances the likes of Poole and Wolves are clearly well run clubs who have created a bond and loyalty between them and the riders who appear for them.

So two out of eight clubs are reliable, meaning six out of eight are unreliable. Hardly great odds if you're looking for a "guaranteed income".

So two out of eight clubs are reliable, meaning six out of eight are unreliable. Hardly great odds if you're looking for a "guaranteed income".

I used two out of eight working from the basis of loyalty and reputation - I wouldn’t claim to know the ins and outs re the rest or all clubs in Poland (or the UK for that matter so possibly there are more examples that could be used), purely going off rumour and on occasion spoken word from riders

That and both clubs (Wolves and Poole) hold or have held 6 out of the 16 riders this would impact, so you are talking the best part of 50% , an addition then being the likes of Harris isn’t a “regular” in Poland.

The same things go on in both countries though I assume re pay, doesn’t simply have to be used a downer re British Speedway – throw in the fact that Britain typically affords guaranteed meetings rather than squads I can see why this is going to cause issues.

I dont want it to happen but we would be fine without the top riders there are not many of them as it is now.Just look at last night Pooles reserves were the stars of the show.True grit and fought hard for every point and with a passion for their club.Theres a good few top riders that dont have any passion for any club it seems its all about the money for them.

To give the riders something to think about though perhaps tell them pick the Polish league over us now and there will be no place for you in the British league when the Poles dont want you any more.Be as ruthless as the Polish league is its possibly the only way we could fight back.

PS off mr Shovlars list i would say at the moment there are 7ish riders that could be sure to be picked every week in Poland where as if riders sign for a British club most would have a team spot all season.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

Riders affected by the PZM rule who ride EL.

Zagar

Hougaard

Jonsson

Nilsson

Harris

Iversen

Batchelor

Holder

Andersen

Lindgren

Woffinden

Fricke

Thorsell

Masters

Doyle

Wozniak

don't forget buzcowski (sorry about the spelling),schlein,porsing,hans,possibly lambert next year to name a few off the top of my head. It's not just the big boys it may affect Edited by castrolargh
  • Like 2

Typical PZM thinking they own speedway.

This will never happen, rider power will see to that.

What a disgraceful thing for them to even consider. Talk about trying to kill off all the other countries league racing besides the top 2 of them and Sweden.

Utter disgrace.

• Like 2

Might UK clubs have to reward these riders a lot more to keep them in the EL?

If not then it's the end of the EL and amalgamation with the PL and probably an enlarged NL.

Just think we could then properly invest in the NL and bring through juniors.

Matt Ford must be spinning!