British Speedway Forum
Col

Belle Vue Vs Wolves, Grand Final 2nd Leg, 5/10/16...

My choice would be no TR's at all in Play Offs.

• Like 2

When Craig Boyce landed that punch on Gollob,sky covered every minute of it,even with craig talking to the ref.

When Martin Dugard flawed Stefan Andersen,sky were right there,including beforehand ,when Bob Dugard was having a go at various people.The late great Tony Millard loved every moment of it,putting his own spin on events.I just hope sky havnt told Pearson and co that they cant talk about various flashpoints that come up during a meeting.That would really kill speedway.

ps....PS Anyone know how i can get in touch with Kelvin Mullarkey to ask his view on Speedway today?!!!!! ;)

• Like 1

Especially if you couldn't attend because you were banned from the stadium.

Neverseenthatbefor.

For anyone to be banned they must have done something very bad so if they missed it tough its their own fault. Missing it for a birthday is bad planning! Who has a party on a wednesday!

You summed up brilliantly what happened in that race UNTIL the final bit!!! You are correct Lingren did use Zagar to make Cook stranded in the middle of the Sandwich,it was a class move to shut the door on what he had to do.Cook was stranded in no mans land and Lingren made the move work.Super and vital at the time.

We'll have to agree to dissagree there, if you look at the replay it clearly shows Lindgren take out Cookie's front wheel after making him the meat in a sandwich. I have no desire though for this to distract from one of, if not the BEST speedway meeting I have ever witnessed, and a victory well earned by Wolves.Hopefully the BSPA will of been woken up by the desire and atmosphere by the riders and both set of fans and do something that actually helps and improves our great sport.

The tac ride situation was perfectly fair. Belle Vue used one, Wolves used one. How much fairer do you want it?

For the playoffs it would be better if there were no tacs, they aren't needed... but your idea here is just, well it's the kind of gibberish that make promoters ignore fans suggestions.

The Tac ride was introduced to help keep the scores close. Belle Vue were losing by more than 10 at Wolves and used the rule,if we had of got an advantage we would of brought the score closer,as was the reason for making the rule, Wolves were winning (aggregate score) at Belle Vue and were still able to use the rule as they were losing on the night, if they had of got an advantage their lead would of increased on aggregate.The crazy rule is not needed especially in the P/Off's.

And surely you can see then how unfair it would have been if wolves had not been allowed to use a tr because they were away in the 2nd leg and hence still ahead on aggregate?

Law of averages would suggest that the team at home in the first leg will have a leaf and try to defend that lead. Team away in the 2nd leg tend to have to try and make up the gap. So what you suggested originally hyderd would be hugely beneficial to the team at home in the 2nd leg. Either it needs to be available for both teams on a match by match (not aggregate) basis as it is now, or preferably not at all in 2 legged matches...

• Like 2

And surely you can see then how unfair it would have been if wolves had not been allowed to use a tr because they were away in the 2nd leg and hence still ahead on aggregate?

No, it would only of been fair if Wolves could only of use the Tac if they were 10 or more points down on aggregate,

Belle Vue used it to try to pull back points in a meeting they were losing (on aggregate).

Wolves used it to try to increase their lead (on aggregate).........................and that's why the rule will never be a fair rule.

Law of averages would suggest that the team at home in the first leg will have a leaf and try to defend that lead. Team away in the 2nd leg tend to have to try and make up the gap. So what you suggested originally hyderd would be hugely beneficial to the team at home in the 2nd leg. Either it needs to be available for both teams on a match by match (not aggregate) basis as it is now, or preferably not at all in 2 legged matches...

100% agree........and that's why the rule will never be a fair rule.

No, it would only of been fair if Wolves could only of use the Tac if they were 10 or more points down on aggregate,

Belle Vue used it to try to pull back points in a meeting they were losing (on aggregate).

You gave it away with the word 'meeting' (my bold, italics and underline). They weren't losing the meeting. They were losing the tie. As pointed out elsewhere, in effect what you're saying is that the team riding away in the first leg would be the only one able to use a tac.

Again, as mentioned elsewhere, surely you either stick to the rules used in the league or decide that, given it's a one-off aggregate two-legged match, no tacs at all. Reluctantly, I'd say keep it as per the league -- team managers' roles have been diminished enough already.

Full agreement on your most important point, though: Tremendous meeting. Have only seen it on screen -- was at work on the night -- but must get to the NSS next season. Wonderful track and stadium by the looks of it.

PS: Just a general observation on Cook's interview. Did really well to keep his comments controlled despite his obvious bitter disappointment. Very impressed by his passion.

Edited by Fourentee
  • Like 1

Regarding the tactical rule. IMO I would not allow it in 2 leg matches. It is not needed and unfair. 1 team may get to use it and the other may not. That can't be right in a final especially.

In 1 off league matches I see the attraction but not over 2 legs.

You could get a situation where a 1 team gets 6 for the Tac and wins overall by a point and the other team never uses it. Surely this rule is flawed.

Same for The World Team Cup really. If a team who's played the Joker and pips a team not having had the chance.

• Like 1

Personally I thought the actions from the Aces fans was pathetic, this is not football! The only time I have known riders be booed in the past have been when they have been involved in an altication with a rider from the opposition, not simply because they bothered to turn up to help their team try and win a match.

I recall couple of seasons ago Eastbourne were at Lakeside and booed Lewis Bridger on the introductions and Jon Cook told them to stop it on the basis that Hammers fans showed respect for the Eagles riders please show the same.

I was pleased for Wolves that they won because the Aces fans, a lot of them admittedly are johnny come latelys have no class, terrible losers, just because you have the best stadium and arguably the best race track does not entitle you to win.

In regards to the use of the tactical sub in the Play Offs, Peter Adams noted in his programme notes against Poole that it was put forward that the TR rule be scrapped for the duration of the Play Offs, something that he didn't agree with pointing out that you can't go changing rules and formats just for the Play Offs.

My choice would be no TR's at all in Play Offs.

NO TRs full stop !!!

I call it the mickey mouse rather than TR...... it makes the Sport look Mickey Mouse.... which it probably is with regards to how the Sport is run.

• Like 3

I just hope sky havnt told Pearson and co that they cant talk about various flashpoints that come up during a meeting.That would really kill speedway.

ps....

I noticed they never picked up on or discussed Tai's comments in the GP about Freddie. Surely something worthy of discussion.

Personally I thought the actions from the Aces fans was pathetic, this is not football! The only time I have known riders be booed in the past have been when they have been involved in an altication with a rider from the opposition, not simply because they bothered to turn up to help their team try and win a match.

I recall couple of seasons ago Eastbourne were at Lakeside and booed Lewis Bridger on the introductions and Jon Cook told them to stop it on the basis that Hammers fans showed respect for the Eagles riders please show the same.

I was pleased for Wolves that they won because the Aces fans, a lot of them admittedly are johnny come latelys have no class, terrible losers, just because you have the best stadium and arguably the best race track does not entitle you to win.

Our promoters think you and Mr Cook are right.They have already put a sign up at the stadium.(quote) under no cicumstances will you be allowed entry unless you promise not to make any noise its not what we do at speedway.You are expected to just watch the racing fill in your programme's purchase our food and drink and go home.New comers will have to pre book seats two weeks in advance so they can be vetted to see if they are of a noisy disposition if proven so will not be allowed entry.Thank you enjoy your speedway).

On a personal note i would like to apologize because even though we have a new stadium and a great track,greedy i know but i still wanted my team to win i am sorry.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

It makes NO difference what the partner does to the success of a tac. 6-3 and a 5-1, no different to a 3-3 and 8-1.

Was just about to say exactly the same. The only target for the T/R is for that one rider to win the race and get double 3. The other rider is only scoring single points so yes, an 8-1 would be nice but as long as your T/R gets 6 points you have achieved the maximum available.

Yep to both of those. The only small caveat I would note is that, precisely because people put such great store by the success of the T/R, the 3-3 and 8-1 might have a bigger psychological impact than the 6-3 and 5-1 despite them having the same effect on the scoreline. I've been in the pits and seen the effect on riders after an 8-1 for their side (bear in mind that many riders have only a general idea of how a meeting is going rather than knowing the actual scoreline, so the 8-1 is perceived as a huge boost).

• Like 1