British Speedway Forum

The difference is that the vast majority of these medals you talk about were won by athletes who went to private schools. There the ethos is different.

I hate private schooling myself, where the only reason for these places to exist in my eyes is to buy privilege. But with far more money and resources they get the idea of breeding winning sportspeople. I'm a primary school teacher in a state school and I can assure you that it's there that the problem starts from. The majority of teachers follow this politically correct bull that states we can't humiliate those who might not win. It bugs me to the hilt. Nobody is talking about humiliating them, but we simply have to instill the idea that if we want to succeed we have to accept that for all the tiny number of winners there will be many more losers.

Going back to your post about the medals in Olympics, unfortunately not many speedway riders come through the private school system. I can only think of one in my 41 years supporting that has been any good, Mr Tatum himself.

Tony Briggs went to Millfield as far as i remember, admittedly he didnt get to the top but was just hitting a decent run of form when he had his career ending crash

• Like 1

When you see on twitter Polish riders testing 5 or 6 brand new GM's mid season on well prepared tracks whenever they want, THAT'S the difference.

Instead of the BSPA wasting money on GTR's, ( I just bloody wasted money on one), use some of the SKY money to pick our brightest young prospects, buy them two well sorted GM's each and send them on a camp to Poland for a fortnight. with decent technical support (yes even Tai if he's willing).

That will bring better results than the endless year after year hand wringing.

It's called investing in the future, oh and try letting them ride in Euro championships as well !!

Edited by Jonny the spud
  • Like 3

We ( the UK / GB ) were winners in speedway during the era when we had the most powerful ( and well paying ) leagues with high average crowds. There was money in the sport and that is when riders from Europe flocked here a) to gain experience B) to earn better money. The wheel has turned so far round and in the last 20 years Sweden and Poland have become THE places to go to for riders with serious aspirations ( if you can get in ) and where you can earn much higher rewards. As the sport has faded in terms of spectator appeal across the UK and little money is now available we can no longer attract the top stars. Or soon retain the services of more of our own top riders ( TW has left already and others will go when / if they get the offers and quite right too ). Thats the way of things - decline & fall. Those less prominent countries now emerging have riders who are getting Polish experience.

I was surprised to hear that Sky are continuing to fulfil their contract of payments to the BSPA ( whilst not wanting to offer coverage ) Can that money not be used for setting up Test matches abroad? Or did it all go on buying Gerhard engines?

CORRECTION ... SKY are not continuing to pay. They reached a settlement with the BSPA to pay off the rest of their contract but that's it. No more money.

Tony Briggs went to Millfield as far as i remember, admittedly he didnt get to the top but was just hitting a decent run of form when he had his career ending crash

TONY and his elder brother Garry did go to. Millfield, a private school that excelled at sports, but it did nothing for his speedway career. Tony always wanted to ride, Garry didn't.

When you see on twitter Polish riders testing 5 or 6 brand new GM's mid season on well prepared tracks whenever they want, THAT'S the difference.

Instead of the BSPA wasting money on GTR's, ( I just bloody wasted money on one), use some of the SKY money to pick our brightest young prospects, buy them two well sorted GM's each and send them on a camp to Poland for a fortnight. with decent technical support (yes even Tai if he's willing).

It's called investing in the future, oh and try letting them ride in Euro championships as well !!

THE SKY money goes through promoters' pockets as quickly as it goes in. Invest? Don't make me laugh.

• Like 1

England obviously with a team of ex private schoolboys just won another trophy in football.Two in the last few weeks

Edited by iris123

CORRECTION ... SKY are not continuing to pay. They reached a settlement with the BSPA to pay off the rest of their contract but that's it. No more money.

Surely that statement is a contradiction. If they have settled the contract they continued to pay

Surely that statement is a contradiction. If they have settled the contract they continued to pay

waytogo28 wrote they are 'continuing' to pay. They are not.

why ? did they not move out of the way . what goes around comes around , he will have plenty more hospital visits to come ,because he may well get away with it here but the poles wont have it

Oh i see the Aussie hater is still sticking his little knife in? Reckless? You really are a first rate knobhead ...Master Bates by name... Edited by hagonshocker

Who's the man for the job then Phil if you want Rosco out. Who is Woffinden friendly enough to get the job ?

Time for you to walk the walk

I saw the Aussies all together , team bonding, all eating and drinking healthy , unfortunately this was on Sunday after they had been eliminated, are you.suggesting Team GB's build up was not correct. What more could Team GB have done under Rosco,? Spotted All eating at the team hotel, all attending the race off, all in Team GB tracksuits , even the riders went into quote claiming all the guys were mates and the team spirit was excellent. What more could have been done ?

Strange how Woffindens' reasons for not racing for Team GB according to you is linked to Rosco's appointment, but he is prepared to put that to one side to make himself available for the World Games on his home track in Poland, with err Rosco in charge !

Welcome back to the debate Phil Rising.

it seems from the Star this week that Alun Rossiter's answer to this seasons 4th place finish is to arrange with Unia Leszno club a pre season training camp at their track , potentially organize a full test match against Poland and campaign to the BSPA about loosening the regulations that allow our best riders unable to compete in the European Championships and Pairs. As someone you say doesn't walk the walk what more can he do ? Rome was not built in a day.

As someone who wants Rossiter out 3 days on you still haven't given us the name of your choice of successor ?

Welcome back to the debate Phil Rising.

it seems from the Star this week that Alun Rossiter's answer to this seasons 4th place finish is to arrange with Unia Leszno club a pre season training camp at their track , potentially organize a full test match against Poland and campaign to the BSPA about loosening the regulations that allow our best riders unable to compete in the European Championships and Pairs. As someone you say doesn't walk the walk what more can he do ? Rome was not built in a day.

As someone who wants Rossiter out 3 days on you still haven't given us the name of your choice of successor ?

THE person I would like to see take the role, along with many other changes, wouldn't thank me for naming him at this stage, and certainly not on here.

Let me make it clear that I don't think any manager would have improved GB's result this year. Without Woffinden it was the best we could expect after an easy ride through the qualifier at KL.

Rosco's plans are fine, if the BSPA are prepared to fund them, which its doubtful, but they are only go so far. What will happen when they get to Leszno, for example? Who will be there to supervise? Or will the riders just ride around the track which in truth work be pointless. Having Woffinden there would help massively.

You are right, Rome wasn't built in a day and nothing will change overnight. It will be a long and possibly fruitless process but fundamental issues being addressed would be a start.

But aren`t we told that any rider can look good blasting round lap after lap in practice. IMO our riders need exposed to big pressure meetings more often, that will need an attitude change from many riders who appear unwilling to test themselves in regular racing in European leagues, and to be honest why should they when they can make a reasonably comfortable living racing in two leagues in this Country.

Yes but one of them also decided he doesn't want to ride for Team GB and has thrown his rattle out of his pram and taken his ball home.

So did Geoff Boycott, quite explicitly. And so do professional footballers, except they do it more implicitly, by withdrawind due to mysterious injuries just before England matches only to amazingly heal up in time for their next club match.

So what's new?

But aren`t we told that any rider can look good blasting round lap after lap in practice. IMO our riders need exposed to big pressure meetings more often, that will need an attitude change from many riders who appear unwilling to test themselves in regular racing in European leagues, and to be honest why should they when they can make a reasonably comfortable living racing in two leagues in this Country.

"aren't we told" WTF does that mean ? by all means expose riders to big pressure meetings, but when you're competing against bottomless budgets i don't care how good you are it's not gonna happen .

GTR's ? ... maybe they'll work in a few years but not yet.

Adam wanted to ride in the euro championships but the BSPA wouldn't allow it !

Adam also spends a fortune riding in the Polish 2nd division, German league , the fledgling French league and any individual meetings he can get .

unwilling ?? have a word with yourself !

So did Geoff Boycott, quite explicitly. And so do professional footballers, except they do it more implicitly, by withdrawind due to mysterious injuries just before England matches only to amazingly heal up in time for their next club match.

So what's new?

Boycott. Showing your age there. :neutral: Had to look him up.

Boycott. Showing your age there. :neutral: Had to look him up.

He was a TV "expert" summariser / commentator a few years back, which is why I had to look him up...to see what he as an expert at, like...sort of thing...It kind of sticks though, someone with the name of Boycott, boycotting his national team...not the sort of thing you forget lol.

TONY and his elder brother Garry did go to. Millfield, a private school that excelled at sports, but it did nothing for his speedway career. Tony always wanted to ride, Garry didn't.

THE SKY money goes through promoters' pockets as quickly as it goes in. Invest? Don't make me laugh.

Tell us where the money goes in Poland and Sweden Phil please?