British Speedway Forum

A British win with no passing would be a massive loss to speedway as any new armchair would be fans would only nod and say " yes. first away from the start wins". "why bother to go", which is the problem we currently have.

Not sure if that's true. My daughter - who has no interest in speedway whatsover - watched the King's Lynn round and got really into it because GB was winning. She even said she wished she was coming to Cardiff with us afterwards and fancied going to speedway sometimes.

• Like 2

A British win with no passing would be a massive loss to speedway as any new armchair would be fans would only nod and say " yes. first away from the start wins". "why bother to go", which is the problem we currently have.

while that might be true in general the British public who may be watching will get sucked into the" we are winning , come on " nothing happens in any other sport but when Brits are winning we latch on to it
  • Like 1

Winning (to me) is more important than good racing leading to a loss. The whole point of any sport is to try to win, any entertainment factor is just a bit of icing on the cake. I know some folks come on here and say the opposite, especially when their team is near the bottom of the league but I suspect they'd be happy with a few (fairly predictable) wins.

Belle Vue, Peterborough, Sheffield... Are there anymore? I always used to think KL but apparently its not the case anymore sadly..

Belle Vue, Peterborough, Sheffield... Are there anymore? I always used to think KL but apparently its not the case anymore sadly..

Somerset and Scunthorpe generally deliver good racing

• Like 2

ALL the ingredients were there yesterday ... a perfect track, great weather and riders of a very similar standard. Even the young Russian was impressive. When speedway like that is served up it is scrumptious.

• Like 7

ALL the ingredients were there yesterday ... a perfect track, great weather and riders of a very similar standard. Even the young Russian was impressive. When speedway like that is served up it is scrumptious.

I am sure we all agree and those in positions to influence the BSPA to think in that way ( and take any positive steps to make it happen - please do so ). It is scary and disappointing that the Chairman's track has usually provided only dire racing this season. A shift in thinking seems needed if speedway, as we know it is to continue and not be further diluted.

But maybe it is only when it is much more diluted, will it improve and attract a paying audience on the terraces?

Having four teams of a decent ability means they should be taking points off each other and that should see Team GB in contention, like last year as we enter the last round of heats. An ef, ex or well placed joker can have a massive effect.

All to play for I'd say.

I am sure we all agree and those in positions to influence the BSPA to think in that way ( and take any positive steps to make it happen - please do so ). It is scary and disappointing that the Chairman's track has usually provided only dire racing this season. A shift in thinking seems needed if speedway, as we know it is to continue and not be further diluted.

But maybe it is only when it is much more diluted, will it improve and attract a paying audience on the terraces?

I thought this new chairman was going to sort things out. Or is now that his official first speech is over thats gone out the window.

Easier said than done, off top of my head these are all needed...

- A decent track shape conducive for racing

- A well prepared track

- Teams with riders of similar levels?

Not something easy to create across all tracks and teams.

I thought this new chairman was going to sort things out. Or is now that his official first speech is over thats gone out the window.

To be fair, change can take time.

Problem is what he wants as chairman has to be agreed by all the other promoters.

He can't just say this and that is happening and all the other promoters accept it.

Saying all that, any failure to deliver improvement to the sport is a failure of him as chairman

Easier said than done, off top of my head these are all needed...

- A decent track shape conducive for racing

- A well prepared track

- Teams with riders of similar levels?

Not something easy to create across all tracks and teams.

To be fair, change can take time.

Well he must have had at least 6 months to sort a decent track out for Last Saturday, it's not as though the meeting was dropped on him last minute.

• Like 4

The first event at Kings Lynn wasn't a great advert for the sport but Team GB did a great job with what was in front of them and filled the card with wins and seconds to easily qualify for the final. However had Team GB have been in last nights meeting instead of Denmark, I don't think they would be finalists and at best looking towards Friday's play off.

Sweden had a few problems but dominated a tough meeting while Russia relied on the main two but Tarasenko came to the party with some great points. As for Latvia it was mainly Lebedevs but the other points were hard fought for and to get six points from the nominated heats shocked the rest and a well deserved play off place.

Got to feel for Denmark after years of dominance in the sport but they no longer have the big names and field a very inconsistent team of riders and when you consider they won five of the twenty races, it was the 13 points from the other 15 races which cost them. They were unlucky to have Jensen pulling up in his fourth ride as it was clearly first bend bunching and should have been all four back.

So now we have Russia v Australia in the play off with Latvia a likley third and USA a distant fourth but all credit for getting there and being in the right round as USA and Czech are clearly the two weakest teams of the nine in the competition.

The heat format works but have always thought it's slightly wrong which is easily fixed while the rules are getting stupid. Every country picks a squad well in advance, usually ten riders. A week before the competition starts they should name the starting five along with one standby rider and one standby reserve and through the competition can use any of these seven as long as the reserve is one of the under 21 nominations.

Should be a good final but who will get Silver ? RUSSIA/AUSTRALIA, SWEDEN or GB

The first event at Kings Lynn wasn't a great advert for the sport but Team GB did a great job with what was in front of them and filled the card with wins and seconds to easily qualify for the final. However had Team GB have been in last nights meeting instead of Denmark, I don't think they would be finalists and at best looking towards Friday's play off.

Sweden had a few problems but dominated a tough meeting while Russia relied on the main two but Tarasenko came to the party with some great points. As for Latvia it was mainly Lebedevs but the other points were hard fought for and to get six points from the nominated heats shocked the rest and a well deserved play off place.

Got to feel for Denmark after years of dominance in the sport but they no longer have the big names and field a very inconsistent team of riders and when you consider they won five of the twenty races, it was the 13 points from the other 15 races which cost them. They were unlucky to have Jensen pulling up in his fourth ride as it was clearly first bend bunching and should have been all four back.

So now we have Russia v Australia in the play off with Latvia a likley third and USA a distant fourth but all credit for getting there and being in the right round as USA and Czech are clearly the two weakest teams of the nine in the competition.

The heat format works but have always thought it's slightly wrong which is easily fixed while the rules are getting stupid. Every country picks a squad well in advance, usually ten riders. A week before the competition starts they should name the starting five along with one standby rider and one standby reserve and through the competition can use any of these seven as long as the reserve is one of the under 21 nominations.

Should be a good final but who will get Silver ? RUSSIA/AUSTRALIA, SWEDEN or GB

Don`t forget the prize money is cr&p- hard enough splitting it between 5 let alone 7 !!!!!