British Speedway Forum

Another good meeting and as far as watching speedway riders go I enjoyed it.

Was their a difference between the track prep from Friday to Saturday? Its just that all the Russians were more into it on Friday - Emil 15, Cug Cug 11 etc, but they didnt seem to have the same "go" in them - tiredness maybe. Friday Chugunov was gating well, so was Emil, but Saturday..... Yes I know the opposition was better quality on Saturday, but still Russia lacking.

Team GB (yes I like the name) was not fully prepared for that meeting IMO. Perhaps one of the negatives of going straight to the final thus lack of track knowledge. Poor management from the top of British speedway, they all want sacking. How on earth does any country expect its young riders to get to the top of the international scene without experience of riding international circuits with other riders from various countries.

Chris Harris tried as hard as ever does, but we know he coming to an end of his international career, but 10 out of 10 for his whole souled efforts.

Stevie Worrel came good at the end. He really did take a bite of the cherry and gave it all he got and he deserves a BIG pat on the back, mixing it with top world class riders. Those races will stand him well for the future - and like he said "thats the best race that I have finished last". Yes, deserved more then 0 points, should have been 2.

Cookie and Robert, not on it at all sadly. Cookie in his last race off 4 took the high line on bend 1-2, like others had, but didnt seem to know what to do with it and lost ground, unlike other riders getting an advantage from it. Put it all down to lack of experience.

What goes round comes round. Poles are ruling the roost at the moment, but it wont last forever, but if its Team GB that does the challenging then there has to be a massive change in attitude at the very top of British speedway is required and it is required NOW

The issue with Lambert is he's doing what Cook did. Happily plodding along in the PL (Championship), ok fair play he is having a go in Sweden and Poland but doesn't scoring big points in the PL give him too big a sense of self worth?

The making of Doyle was having the PL safety net taken away. Maybe Cook and Lambert need the same. About 4 years ago the BSPA brought in a "dobling up for 2 years only" rule, amazingly 2 years later they dropped it. Had they not then Cook and Lambert would be riding full time EL (Premiersip) now. Cook I have a little sympathy for, it was one bad meeting after two great meeting in the GP qualifiers but scoring easy points on the weekends can't help them step up when it comes to the SWC.

Why can the Swedes, Russians and Latvians step up when they have to but Brits rarely do? People are getting excited about Worrall and he did a little better than expected but he's still some way off being where we need him to do - but in his defence his career is moving forward year after year (that one terrible year just before the draft aside) and seemed to change his lines and style as the track changed tonight.

Anyway, good to hear Rosco say he's got a few meetings lined up for us in Poland in 2018.

edit - I feel Ive been a bit harsh in Worrall in this post reading it back. He did a good job tonight., He should be congratulated for that, he shoved his middle finger up at those who doubted his team place this week. And Im pleased for him. He was always the obvious choice.

Your point about Doyle it is total nonsense when Doyley doubled up he took in loads of racing kept fit ie) he had a troublesome shoulder got his confidence up and that helped to invest in his aquipment,Steve Worrall another example has rode three tiers of British speedway it has not done him any harm now Worrall needs more European action chuffed for him tonight.Lambert is another one only 19 his achilles heel is his GATING at this level it is going to be hard but he is quality his time will come.Going back to Doyle he is where he is now because he is a quality rider and nothing to do with having that safety net taken away without the PL he would not be at the level he is now. Edited by Sidney the robin

No. IMHO you're fifth behind Russia and Latvia

And speedway whatsoever,

as somebody said before lets have the final at monmore or lakeside and see if poland win that one :t:

• Like 1

It appears, I'm not so forgiving as most posters on here. We are looking for excuses of why we didn't perform, and in all honesty I feel riders like Cook and Lambert were a big let down. We didn't expect then to be challenging for honours but we did expect better than tailing off at the back. This was the pinnacle of this years racing, the biggest shop window you could ask for, and both reacted like 'Rabbits in the headlights' on the biggest stage of all. This has to go down to bad preparation. and attitude. It was never going to be easy, and any results would have to be fought, long and hard. and any ideas that this was like a normal meeting were in for a rude awakening... Robert did rise to the expected standard in his last race, but it was only equivalent of shutting the door after the horse had bolted. Had he shown this energy earlier probably we could have rescued the bronze medal. When Cook was interviewed on the Tele, he said the team were together and confident of doing well. they were there on Friday to watch a learn. He obviously didn't watch too much and learnt even less... We know Cook and Lambert are better riders than this and that is why I feel they let us down big-time...

Full marks to Bomber and Worrall who can hold their heads up for at least making a fight of it, I always thought Bomber would be competitive from the experience he has gained over the years. but Worrall to me was our Star Performer. Never having rode on this stage before, he rose to the occasion to mix with the best. a brilliant effort. Had the others shown similar attitude we would've walked that 3rd place.

There can be no joy in coming last in any competition, Yeah, some say we finished 4th in the world, better than some more distinguished countries, but we were only there by the luck of the draw and beating a injury savaged Aussie team, Surely there can be no celebration in that.....

• Like 3

Wonderful meeting to watch once again. Others have pointed out team GB's weaknesses but for me it was simply awesome to see a totally packed out stadium with an incredible atmosphere, along with some quite stunning racing. Real, proper speedway out of the top drawer.

Let's just face up to the reality. Speedway in the UK is a complete joke. A nonentity compared to that which the lucky Poles witness week in week out. God, it's just incredible to watch. Equally incredible to witness are the reactions of folk on here who just don't get it. We are not on the same planet as these top guys from Polska. Don't even pretend we are. Our whole psyche is wrong. They want to win far more than we do. Their mindset is different. They're fitter. They're faster. They're better. Their equipment is superior. In every single department they are light years ahead of us.

Admitting that is the first step to changing our position.

• Like 7

GRW 123 said " Full marks to Bomber and Worrall who can hold their heads up for at least making a fight of it, I always thought Bomber would be competitive from the experience he has gained over the years. but Worrall to me was our Star Performer. Never having rode on this stage before, he rose to the occasion to mix with the best. a brilliant effort. Had the others shown similar attitude we would've walked that 3rd place."

How right he is that the Bronze medal was well within the grasp of Team GB if only Lambert had displayed his true competitive nature in his first rides and not only in that final one ( where he looked a different rider ). Cook never showed up at all and was not even a pale shadow of his true self in any of his rides. He brought nothing to the team, for all his "talk' - even when he gated with people he went backwards quickly. Lambert and Cook did not seem to "want" it very much or were unable to demonstrate that they did. I don't think any other GB riders would have done better.

Wonderful meeting to watch once again. Others have pointed out team GB's weaknesses but for me it was simply awesome to see a totally packed out stadium with an incredible atmosphere, along with some quite stunning racing. Real, proper speedway out of the top drawer.

Let's just face up to the reality. Speedway in the UK is a complete joke. A nonentity compared to that which the lucky Poles witness week in week out. God, it's just incredible to watch. Equally incredible to witness are the reactions of folk on here who just don't get it. We are not on the same planet as these top guys from Polska. Don't even pretend we are. Our whole psyche is wrong. They want to win far more than we do. Their mindset is different. They're fitter. They're faster. They're better. Their equipment is superior. In every single department they are light years ahead of us.

Admitting that is the first step to changing our position.

This post says it all for me spot on the Poles are at a different level to everybody else they are a pleasure to watch Pawlicki is my favourite he is so frustrating but on his day he is mighty quick. Edited by Sidney the robin

watched last night and kept thinking .... he'll give Ellis a skid soon. There's no point in taking the lad there "to give him experience" if you're not even going to try him when the others are failing so bad ? The poor lads confidence must be shot to pieces

• Like 4

What Team GB also need is a series of tutorials with Jason Doyle as to why he now believes fully in himself and what steps he took to make the step up that Lambert and Cook must do ( not too late for Cook if he gets on with it ) and it is essential for Lambert that he learns from the best. He really can make that step up to world class. Hopefully JD knows what it took for him AND is able to pass on the key elements of it ( that would still need to be adapted for each individual rider's style and personality )

watched last night and kept thinking .... he'll give Ellis a skid soon. There's no point in taking the lad there "to give him experience" if you're not even going to try him when the others are failing so bad ? The poor lads confidence must be shot to pieces

You are joking- confidence shot to pieces, all about a learning experience for him and he would have practised yesterday.
  • Like 1

Leszno's track is 330 meters. Belle Vue is 347 meters and Kings Lynn is 342 meters. Regarding KL it's fair to say it does not have wide sweeping bends like Leszno but, Belle Vue is the closest to any of the big Polish Tracks. Cook and Worral both ride Belle Vue. Lambert KL whereas Bomber has been a round long enough to have had the experience of riding all over Europe.

To ride Belle Vue would require no more technical skill or sheer speed than Leszno as both are very similar as in lots of different lines and speed. KL slightly different but, imo I don't think the poles would have too much trouble adapting. As for technical skills are you suggesting the GB boys are superior to the Poles?

I also saw the great teams England had from the 70's and I agree everything goes round. So how long do you think before Team GB are back on top?

With Bewley, Smith, ZW, JPB added to Lambert ( as the Harris figure ) 5 -7 years assuming that Poland etc stand still. With Chugunov Russia now likely have another world class rider and others coming along. We might be able to compete on a more equal basis then.

It appears, I'm not so forgiving as most posters on here. We are looking for excuses of why we didn't perform, and in all honesty I feel riders like Cook and Lambert were a big let down. We didn't expect then to be challenging for honours but we did expect better than tailing off at the back. This was the pinnacle of this years racing, the biggest shop window you could ask for, and both reacted like 'Rabbits in the headlights' on the biggest stage of all. This has to go down to bad preparation. and attitude. It was never going to be easy, and any results would have to be fought, long and hard. and any ideas that this was like a normal meeting were in for a rude awakening... Robert did rise to the expected standard in his last race, but it was only equivalent of shutting the door after the horse had bolted. Had he shown this energy earlier probably we could have rescued the bronze medal. When Cook was interviewed on the Tele, he said the team were together and confident of doing well. they were there on Friday to watch a learn. He obviously didn't watch too much and learnt even less... We know Cook and Lambert are better riders than this and that is why I feel they let us down big-time...

Full marks to Bomber and Worrall who can hold their heads up for at least making a fight of it, I always thought Bomber would be competitive from the experience he has gained over the years. but Worrall to me was our Star Performer. Never having rode on this stage before, he rose to the occasion to mix with the best. a brilliant effort. Had the others shown similar attitude we would've walked that 3rd place.

There can be no joy in coming last in any competition, Yeah, some say we finished 4th in the world, better than some more distinguished countries, but we were only there by the luck of the draw and beating a injury savaged Aussie team, Surely there can be no celebration in that.....

With you with regards to Cook as he should have been way better, at the very least on a par with Worrall which would have seen 3rd place sealed.

With regards to Lambert, people keep saying he's got time on his side, no he hasn't.

He's 19 and still can't gate, as harsh as it is he's just your average British Speedway double-upper.

Chuganov is 17 and way better and nobody has had of him before.

If anything was proven last night, we're gonna struggle for many many years for another world class rider to come through.

I saw the great years of British speedway. It's the Poles' turn now, but nothing lasts forever in sport. Let's get on with our domestic rebuilding, bring through the promising young riders and....be patient!

Domestic rebuilding?? Have the organising body issued a policy on this?

Domestic rebuilding?? Have the organising body issued a policy on this?

Why would the promoters want to push our youth to the world stage, it would mean British rider's would demand higher wages.

Keep them rubbish then when it comes to the World Cup British rider's will know their demands on wages to not be substantial.

Seldom have I read such common ground in a thread. We may have our minor differences but the overwhelming feeling is of disappointment and shame, about the organisation and preparation for this event. Hopefully it is a wake up call to the powers that be.