British Speedway Forum

In fairness quite a few similar number 7's so if he can score 2 or 3 it will be job done.

• Like 1

In fairness quite a few similar number 7's so if he can score 2 or 3 it will be job done.

yes agree let's hope he can
  • Like 1

Fan of max and Nathan obviously but if their reserves in the top league and someone whose not been riding for 3 years make up 3 7ths of your team then it shows how far the leagues fallen. However, maybe the racing will be closer. Here's hoping

Not sure what to make of this team. Very strong top three and a weak bottom three. I think Wolves season will be dependent on how much Skornicki has left in the tank.

• Like 2

the pressure is on the likes of Howarth, Thorsell and Masters now not to have any bad meetings as we'll already be carrying the 2 reserves. Not sure what to expect from Skornicki so will have to wait and see, could be a masterstroke could be a mistake.

the reserves are what worry me. Clegg for someone who rode at Monmore for 2 teams last season and has ridden there in previous seasons never looked like he knew the right lines round the track. this needs to improve this season with him as the senior reserve.

The reserves look weak compared to what we have been used to before the revamp.

When you look at them against some in the league, there are some of an equal ability

Coventry: Sarjeant & Bates

King's Lynn: Huckenbeck (3.31 left for other)

Poole: Klindt & Shanes

Rye House: Branford & Perks

Somerset: Allen & Graversen

Swindon: Grondal & Wajtknecht

Wolves: Clegg & Greaves

When you look at them against some in the league, there are some of an equal ability

Sarjeant and Bates are by some way the best reserve pairing in the league. Poole and Kings Lynn are similar and Somerset with Allen could be strong at home.

Rye House and Wolves look similar and Swindon the weakest

Think that shows how much the sport has declined at top level in GB.

There were actually no 7's just as weak, if not weaker in the late 80's, early 90's in the top flight.

Of course the rest of the relevant teams were far stronger.

• Like 2

There were actually no 7's just as weak, if not weaker in the late 80's, early 90's in the top flight.

Your probably right,it's the overall standard in the top flight that's declined badly.IMO
  • Like 1

Id argue in dome teams both reserves were as weak or weaker. Cradley nearly won the league in 82 with dome awful reserve pairings. Coventry's title winning side of 87 had two local juniors at reserve.

But absolutely the main body of the team were much stronger. Though the top teams in 2017 will still be better than the weaker teams of the earlier eras (e.g. eastborne 83, swindon 82/83, Halifax 83/84 etc.

• Like 1

Sorry not allowed, Poole mafia say so. :D

Obviously not talking about me then as i have said Wolves have a good team that will challenge for the title.

Obviously not talking about me then as i have said Wolves have a good team that will challenge for the title.

Of course not. I would put you down as rational,reasonable and fair-minded (and always have been). It's just some of the others....................................................................

• Like 3

Coventry look stand out.

Poole next mostly because of Klindt alone.

ditto the Stars until we know who the 2nd reserve is.

Somerset, in Allen have potential.

Whilst the rest are much similar.

I think people forget the huge progress made by Clegg in the 2nd half of the season. Still a bit of an issue on away tracks but as a huge sceptic even I have seen a big growth from start to end season.

The overall product, without a question.

We started with very similar weak draft riders 3 seasons ago and have helped some move into main team places so maybe this is the start of another generation coming thru.

Much rather watch British lads struggling and possibly progressing than do what the championship (old PL) do and use totally pointless foreign wasters in reserve.

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 3

Clegg will know that 2017 has got to be his break out year. Hopefully he's not daft enough to come out with the 'I'll be World Champion' guff next season. He should be focussing on making a good living from speedway and best of luck to him. His target, imo, should be to progress past the likes of Sarj & Bates.

Edited by Wolfsbane