British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

I presume an awful load of matters come into play.

1. Does the lease holder play ball with the BPSA. If not that needs addressing very quickly to sort things out.

2. Is the land the stadium sits on belonging to the owner, or as in the case of BP the Local Council, what is the working partnership between both parties. I am sure if they have problems, then the lease on the land could be cancelled, then taken over by other parties. Because when all said and done, all the owner has are a few buildings a fence and a load of shale.

3. Lots of clubs still race inside greyhound tracks, so they are there only until they upset someone. as with Birmingham the other year, no rent no speedway club.

Things need to be sorted out quickly if the sport hopes to carry on for many more years, soon there will be no one out there who wants to take the risk of becoming a promoter, after all the way the sport is now it is a very big gamble.

Hope that those in power, can do something to get the crowds back again to decent levels, instead of seeing about 100 fans turning out to watch the top flight clubs, even at reduced rates when Sky are there. It looks terrible on the telly and I am sure it will not give people the heart to turn up to a track with hardly anyone there.

How they do it have not got a clue, it certainly needs more in the way of advertising, plus some big name sponsers. It would be great to see crowds like the ones in the 1950 to 70's but I think those days are lost to the history books.

I presume an awful load of matters come into play.

1. Does the lease holder play ball with the BPSA. If not that needs addressing very quickly to sort things out.

2. Is the land the stadium sits on belonging to the owner, or as in the case of BP the Local Council, what is the working partnership between both parties. I am sure if they have problems, then the lease on the land could be cancelled, then taken over by other parties. Because when all said and done, all the owner has are a few buildings a fence and a load of shale.

You raise some good point but things are not that complicated - if you follow contract law and normal business practice.

1. Does the lease holder play ball with the BPSA. The presumption you are making here is that the lease holder is also the speedway promoter. However, as a lease holder there is no need for him/her to play ball with the BSPA other than to ensure the stadium/track is suitable for speedway should he wish to promote the sport or hire it to a promoter.

2. I am sure if they have problems, then the lease on the land could be cancelled. The only grounds that would give cause for cancelation of the lease by council would be if monies due for the lease were not paid or if the property was being used for activities outside of the specified purpose. standing empty and unused would not constitute suitable cause if the lease was being paid for - Unlike as it appears the NSC in Manchester.

It appears some people think that as the leaseholder DH will be out of pocket without speedway he should cut his losses and just walk away. However, the facility has a future value which like it or not DH has created. i.e. there is a stadium which a promoter can run meetings and earn money from. So it would be a fair presumption that DH as the leaseholder is (as is his right) to seek compensation for the use of the stadium for which he is the rightful tenant either by sub letting (if the lease allows) or selling the lease.

I do agree that so we fans know for certain we will have speedway at Leicester in 2017 it would be great to see this matter sorted sooner rather than later. However, we also need to recognise that there are business interests being served here and they need to be sorted out to the satisfaction of the vested parties. clearly some serious and detailed negotiation are going on and frankly, we don't need to know the details, just that they have been concluded and that the Lions will roar (Hopefully with more effect on track than in recent times) next season.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

I thought Buster Chapman was taking over the promotional reins at Leicester?!

the ongoing negotiations - aside from the financial debt situation - is likely to be about the level of control the promotion will have over some of the stadium facilities owned by DH!!

Not least the track and any alterations the new promotion may wish to make which may go against DH's own opinions or wishes?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

and then I woke up!

This about it. Holder is signing or Lynn but Iversen wants to ride in the UK. Why would Lynn replace Iversen with Holder? Makes no sense. What does make sense is Holder wouldn't want to ride at Leicester but would love to ride at Lynn, so have Holder at Lynn and that free up Iversen to go to Leicester. That way Lynn and Leicester get a 12+ number 1 and everyone is happy.

So which league is NKI dropping? Poland or Sweden? Or is he just standing up to the Poles' new rules?

So which league is NKI dropping? Poland or Sweden? Or is he just standing up to the Poles' new rules?

The same one as Holder, obviously!

The same one as Holder, obviously!

Does Holder ride in the Danish league? I thought Aussies have the UK classed as their home league so add Sweden and Poland and that makes three. Thought your maths was better than that SCB :P

Does Holder ride in the Danish league? I thought Aussies have the UK classed as their home league so add Sweden and Poland and that makes three. Thought your maths was better than that SCB :P

Looking at his profile he only rode in Poland and Sweden plus Poole UK last year, so can ride in the UK if he wishes.

Denmark is Puks home league. Poland, Sweden and GB would be 3. Holders in Poland, Sweden and GB would be 3. I thought a riders home league was excluded?

Pretty sure a riders home league is included.

So Holder is Poland, Sweden and Australia then. He can't sign for Kings Lynn. I'm confused.