British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Bspa should make it possible for every Brit to ride in both leagues

Completely disagree.............the BSPA should make it IMpossible for ANYONE to ride in both leagues!!!

That is one more reason that many fans are walking away.

• Like 5

In which case there wouldn't be enough riders to go around. Although I agree more could and should be done to avoid clashes.

Anyway, which Brits are unable to double up?

• Like 1

So he said in this weeks speedway star but then I guess other riders would like a call from the lions aswel, it's a shame that all Brits can't ride in both British leagues yet Johnny Foreigners can.

Bspa should make it possible for every Brit to ride in both leagues

Every Brit can ride in both leagues.
  • Like 2

Funniest thing I have read this evening, so your saying you would take Auty because the fans like him and that is what Speedway is all about so stuff his average pmsl so you would take a rubbish rider not implying Auty is because he is a fan favorite very logical.=, only in Speedway.

Because he is a decent rider and i commit and say he will improve this year also the fans who pay his wages are happy with him.Is that to hard to digest ? i remember you last year slagging him off yet he went to Poole beat Newman and Pedersen (who he could beat easily on good race tracks Scunny? all day long as a example.Get a grip forget the averages and the fans matter,you have basically said teams home favourites does not mean a jot forget averages speedway is a entertainment Auty whatever you say about him is a racer ask the Scunny fans. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

In which case there wouldn't be enough riders to go around.

Of course there would...........are you trying to tell me there are less than 119 speedway riders in the world?

We have 17 teams in the top two leagues with 7 riders per team, equating to 119 riders. The quality from top to bottom may not be quite so high, but that would far outweigh the credibility gained for the sport.

Of course there would...........are you trying to tell me there are less than 119 speedway riders in the world?

We have 17 teams in the top two leagues with 7 riders per team, equating to 119 riders. The quality from top to bottom may not be quite so high, but that would far outweigh the credibility gained for the sport.

It should certainly be the target for 2019. I'd have limited it to 2 double uppers in 2017, 1 in 2018 and none in 2019.

I think it would be a struggle to get 119 riders to ride regularly over here without flooding teams with NL riders. Six man teams might well work with the correct format.

Just seen SCB's post, this would be the best way to do it, phase out double upping gradually.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

I think it would be a struggle to get 119 riders to ride regularly over here without flooding teams with NL riders. Six man teams might well work with the correct format.

It's also a struggle to get people to take the sport seriously with riders riding for two teams........I know which struggle I'd prefer to struggle with!

Every Brit can ride in both leagues.

Bomber,Nicholls,Cook,Kennett are riding for which championship team ?

Bomber,Nicholls,Cook,Kennett are riding for which championship team ?

If a team wanted them and they agreed terms i don't think there is anything stopping them.

By the way Cook is riding for Workington,a championship team :t:

• Like 2

If a team wanted them and they agreed terms i don't think there is anything stopping them.

Exactly. Most of the championship teams will have found the converted average too off putting.

So all Brits were available for both leagues.

Ask Bomber,Nicholls & Kennett then who want to ride both, didn't cook struggle to get permission last year to ride in both, time British Speedway moved everything to make the Brits ride in both leagues.

The one thing that will hold up the process of getting back to one rider, one club is wage levels..

Riders need multiple jobs to earn what in their eyes, is a good wage, gone are the days of second strings and reserves turning up with bikes on a trailer, or in the back of a citreon safari! It's fully ply lined and kitted out vans, 4 different coloured helmets, etc... & Multiple mechanics.....

That's what is ruining British speedway.. If, British speedway got crowds of 5,000+ then riders would be paid more, would get more sponsors, and would/could earn twice as much, but only riding for one club..

Can we get back to the Lions. Rate Kim Nilsson, tidy rider, big test for him as whether he can handle being a number 1 but should do well certainly put him above other 2017 Premiership #1's. Always liked Josh Auty, think he could flourish in this new league as a second string. Two decent signings for Leicester IMO.

• Like 1

Actually, there are 19 teams in the top flights of British Speedway. That's 133 riders.

Without Belle Vue & Leicester, there are 17 riders doubling up. I suspect there will be about 22 in the final line ups, so to amalgamate the leagues you need 22 new riders and that doesn't take into account replacements for injury. That's a tall order without, as GB says, flooding the league with NL performers (and there are 17 of them doubling up anyway).

Having said that, SCB is spot on. There has to be a will to reduce the number doubling up (and hence cut the ridiculous dependence on guests and rider replacement) over the next few seasons and there was an opportunity to start in 2017 with the reduction in teams. It hasn't been taken.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2