British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

I wish they would put a halt to that silly Joker feature with double points when a team gets behind. If a team gets behind so be it. I cannot think of another sport that has such a stupid rule. The other change I would like to see instigated is when there is a jumped start a 1 minute warning would be immediately put on with the pit gates kept closed and riders returned immediately to the tapes.

The biggest trouble speedway has is that if they cut out all the faffing about, the meetings could be done and dusted in an hour:D

• Like 3

I wish they would put a halt to that silly Joker feature with double points when a team gets behind. If a team gets behind so be it. I cannot think of another sport that has such a stupid rule. The other change I would like to see instigated is when there is a jumped start a 1 minute warning would be immediately put on with the pit gates kept closed and riders returned immediately to the tapes.

The biggest trouble speedway has is that if they cut out all the faffing about, the meetings could be done and dusted in an hour:D

And who wants to be at a meeting rushed through in great haste to finish within a hour. Dream on, the meeting needs track preparation and some sort of purpose, rather that a rush to get the punters out of the stadium as quick as possible. If it was tried it would possibly put people off attending another meeting. Hardly in speedways interests or the Fans. Minimum time would be something like 90 minutes IMO.

• Like 7

Muddllo and Chris Holder are tweeting about the new averages not helping them and that being successful is now penalised. Tough on the Poole guys but had to smile as these moves are to benefit the sport as a whole.

Edited by marky
  • Like 1

I assume the BSPA will release full statement in the near future will all the answers to the queries that confuses us normal punters.(or abnormal as some suggest)

Edited by Fromafar

I don't like the double points thing . but there is a need for manoeuvre by team managers , a couple of bad rides and an engine failure should not end your teams chances of winning . so there has to be a way of a struggling team fighting back

• Like 3

I don't like the double points thing . but there is a need for manoeuvre by team managers , a couple of bad rides and an engine failure should not end your teams chances of winning . so there has to be a way of a struggling team fighting back

Not really, it's sods Law. One time it would benefit you the next Meeting it might benefit the other Team. It would work out over the Season.

As I have said many times, contriving Results will not bring the Punters back. Most will know a 'con' when they see one.

• Like 2

Not really, it's sods Law. One time it would benefit you the next Meeting it might benefit the other Team. It would work out over the Season.

As I have said many times, contriving Results will not bring the Punters back. Most will know a 'con' when they see one.

but in football you have players on the bench who can be brought in if things are not going well , so team managers should not be hogtied by the rules and should be able to use their riders as necessary to win .

• Like 2

but in football you have players on the bench who can be brought in if things are not going well , so team managers should not be hogtied by the rules and should be able to use their riders as necessary to win .

But when those players come on, they can influence a game to score a goal...but they don't get two.

I'm all for tactical Subs...but double points is just plain stupid by most peoples sense.

Edited by Gresham
  • Like 2

But when those players come on, they can influence a game to score a goal...but they don't get two.

I'm all for tactical Subs...but double points is just plain stupid by most peoples sense.

I'm not an advocate of double points myself , and although I think the reserves should have minimum 3 races . I have no problem with any of the top 5 being replaced at any time ,

• Like 1

Agree about the joker ruile and a joke it is and also sending riders straight back to the tapes, but if meetings were shortened too much it would put people off going even more. There is not value for money as it is. To shorten the meetings would hasten the problem of vfm. People moan about tractor racing but the tracks have to be raked etc . At least it is kept to every 4 heats usually. It is part of the sport.

For me speedway is a night out, waiting for the track to be done is not a problem and shouldn't be or do we want completely shale-less tracks after a couple of heats. To have a meeting done and dusted in an hour its not worth going and paying the price which is high enough already.

Edited by Sniffy
  • Like 4

i think they should go back to the old style TS when 6 pts behind replace a rider normal pts gives team managers room to work and keep meeting alive

with out silly double pts

• Like 3

I would say 90 mins is about right for a speedway meeting, 2 hours max. As for double points, it was only introduced to save money but I'd be in favour of a more controlled tac sub rule instead, ie a certain number (two?) when ten behind and perhaps only up to heat twelve.

I would say 90 mins is about right for a speedway meeting, 2 hours max. As for double points, it was only introduced to save money but I'd be in favour of a more controlled tac sub rule instead, ie a certain number (two?) when ten behind and perhaps only up to heat twelve.

I'd rather no subs at all but a choice of gate positions instead.
  • Like 2

I am at a loss to see what has been done that would encourage an increase in attendances

To be fair, I think every promotion has tried something different from half prices offers, £1 entry, advertising at tourist information, advertising their own business with their own shop in shopping centres, getting children involved in extra events, free gifts, town advertisement boards, websites, leaflets, celebrity turn outs and still speedway has no formula of attracting people.

Look at what's around. There is nothing that can be done. It is a minority sport and still I bet half the country don't even know what it is. It's a marmite sport. It is not in our society like it was in the 60s and 70s and those days are long gone. People have so much other choice on a Monday night such as other sports, using media or sitting round the box saving their hard earned.

If anyone could come up with ideas to solve it, I am sure the promotions would pay you to get 3-4000 bum on seats every week.

The only way I see it happening is a constant hefty admission drop but it is just not viable.

Just an honest opinion.

• Like 6

To be fair, I think every promotion has tried something different from half prices offers, £1 entry, advertising at tourist information, advertising their own business with their own shop in shopping centres, getting children involved in extra events, free gifts, town advertisement boards, websites, leaflets, celebrity turn outs and still speedway has no formula of attracting people.

Look at what's around. There is nothing that can be done. It is a minority sport and still I bet half the country don't even know what it is. It's a marmite sport. It is not in our society like it was in the 60s and 70s and those days are long gone. People have so much other choice on a Monday night such as other sports, using media or sitting round the box saving their hard earned.

If anyone could come up with ideas to solve it, I am sure the promotions would pay you to get 3-4000 bum on seats every week.

The only way I see it happening is a constant hefty admission drop but it is just not viable.

Just an honest opinion.

I concur with all of your observations...even if it was free admission, after an initial peak, I believe the great majority would stop coming, just like so many who have paid in the past.

Times have moved on and people want and expect more.

To have returning fans each week, you need them to get hooked. To actually immerse themselves in the sport and understand it. After a while, watching four blokes going round in circles gets boring, unless you actually immerse yourself in the finer details.

Speedway is so confusing and different to pretty much all other sports.

The majority of Clubs don't own their 'stadiums'.

Many tracks are not purpose built and just fit around something else, which isn't condusive to good racing.

Apart from the racing, entertainment has pretty much been neglected.

Offering chips and hot dogs doesn't cut it these days.

Higher end hospitality is very poor standard... any potential sponsors with money would expect better.

Then you have the problem of rain off's...we live in a Country where it rains a lot. How Clubs expect people to keep wasting their money and keep an interest is beyond me. I can't think of one motor sport that's effected by the weather so much.

Speedway is confusing to the newcomer...it's neither a team sport or an individual sport.

You have teams with riders who all ride for other teams. Those riders also provide their own machinery. Those teams are also effected by what a rider is doing in 'individual' events. You now have 'Red Bull' teams and 'JAWA' teams etc...like in Road racing...I could go on....the sport is so mixed up, it has no idea which way it's going... it's mental.

Even if you do get interested and hooked...you end up frustrated, because everything you read is so negative. Read this, the star, social media, and it's just a raft of negativity and problems.

Speedway imo, needs a complete overhaul...it needs to forget some certain traditions and start again. Either become an Individual sport...or purely a team sport. Or....make it so that riders can only be in one 'code'.

• Like 4