British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

So for example say Steve Worrall rides for Newcastle and Belle Vue again... They never have a fixture clash and Steve is ever present for both clubs.. He has a 10.00 average for Newcastle who win the play offs and a 6.5 average for Belle Vue who finish bottom of their league... With this rule Steve will want Newcastle to get beat in their most important meeting of the season as he will be riding for Belle Vue.

He'll actually have one average based on all his matches.

He'll actually have one average based on all his matches.

Okay forget the averages. Steve will want a club who he has been ever present for and who has paid his wages all season to get beat
  • Like 1

The Brexit sentiment runs through a lot of British thinking.We didn't want to be involved in the Football world cup when it started and we weren't really keen on the European Cup either.In speedway we haven't got involved much with the European Championships and the SEC.We have a fair number who don't want to be involved with the EU.I note Phil Rising hopes that the Belle Vue stadium gets some big meetings from the FIM though......

I agree we should be creating product that attracts riders who want to be involed.We need to create a product that makes fans want to see it.The big trouble is we have a p poor youth training scheme.We don't produce riders of world clas quality with any regularity,so rely on foreigners.The pool of riders is only getting smaller and by trying to go the isolationist route we are shooting ourselves in the foot,both on the political and speedway front

My thinking was along the lines of riders missing our league in preference to riding in another country. I have no issue of our riders representing the country in major events, but when riders have league meeting clashes it inevitably means guest and RR for us.... That the biggest drawback our sport has always had...... I was hoping this would be one of the issues addressed at the recent AGM........

Going back in time when we had 13 heats, part of the second half was to give the reserves and lesser riders the opportunity to race against seasoned riders in their quest to improve. When the team was a rider short then these lesser riders were used as replacements. Back in the 70's we had an abundance of young riders coming through the ranks, but when we done away with second halves, we also close the opportunity these youngster had....

• Like 2

I am confused by the promotion aspect from the AGM. How will some Premier League clubs afford it in the top flight? Surely it can only work if promotion comes with a big winners cheque to help prop the team up for the following season or two in the top flight.

Surely if a Club doesn't want to go up - then they will ride to lose in the 'Play Offs'.

Yes - there will be some fun and games next Season.

They have kept 'Double Points' - so sadly I won't be there to see it.

The biggest issues and important steps needed to grow the sport have once again been papered over, I like the rebranding but a sh!t can still be called a poo, a turd or a skid but be the same thing!

• Like 1

Will there be any real ambition from Championship clubs to go into the top flight via play offs ? There certainly was not last time

With the gap narrowed and everyone on the same averages, I don't think it'll be a problem.

I can't see any reason why there shouldn't be. The clubs from each division will be much closer in strength now so what might happen is similar to football for example. The team relegated to the Championship tends to lose its top players who choose to remain elsewhere in the Premier League.

How about geography?

Let's say Glasgow win the play-off and are promoted. Their 'local derby' would be against....... Belle Vue or one of the Midlands teams

• Like 1

The Brexit sentiment runs through a lot of British thinking.We didn't want to be involved in the Football world cup when it started and we weren't really keen on the European Cup either.In speedway we haven't got involved much with the European Championships and the SEC.We have a fair number who don't want to be involved with the EU.I note Phil Rising hopes that the Belle Vue stadium gets some big meetings from the FIM though......

Philippe wasn't much keen on the SGP either, at least until BSI made him Deputy Race Director...

They have kept 'Double Points' - so sadly I won't be there to see it.

No 'Double Points' in the National League, is there a club near you that you could support ?

So many people looking for the negative but why not look at the plus points.

• Like 3

Going back in time when we had 13 heats, part of the second half was to give the reserves and lesser riders the opportunity to race against seasoned riders in their quest to improve. When the team was a rider short then these lesser riders were used as replacements. Back in the 70's we had an abundance of young riders coming through the ranks, but when we done away with second halves, we also close the opportunity these youngster had....

Maybe it was so that the crowd drifted away after the interval and few remained to watch, but promoters should recognize that, watched or not watched, opportunity was being given, and experience gained, by the non-team members, - novices, juniors and reserves -, by pitting them against one level higher, and the chance to show whether or not they were up to replacing a team man.

Novice Race: 4 novices, - winner gets a place in the next race, the Juniors Race;

Juniors Race: 3 juniors (by experience, not age,) plus winner of Novices, - winner to a place in the Reserves Race;

Reserves Race: 3 Reserves (from the match teams' 6&7's) plus winner of Juniors, - winner to a place in a heat of the 2nd Half event against team men, i.e. 6 home + 5 away riders, - 11+1= 12, in 3 heats, usually. (All 14 thus assured of one more paid ride.)

That way if a new name appears, (eg from grass racing or such like,) it was possible for mgmt to assess, and the rider to demonstrate, how good he actually was, and possible even to get a chance in the team next week,

. . . or a regular Junior to show steady progress.

. . . or to verify if a lower league rider was up to the senior league level.

That development process is now lost.

• Like 3

how the hell does a 3pt rider have the same budget ??? somebody like cook would get a signing on fee have decent sponsors and earnt decent money from the year before( if he actually got paid) so how does a 17 year old kid whos never been in a professional league afford the same kit as him

Judging by what's been said Cookie didn't get paid let alone a signing on fee.

The two leagues would have to be combined, and as there's now only a fag paper between the leagues,it would be a relatively simple matter.

Maybe that's the real reason for this new league structure??

The sport seems to be heading back towards a two tier structure. The National League seems to be more viable for many of teams what were in the former Premier League, whilst fewer-and-fewer teams are able to make a go of things in the top flight, resulting in that effectively becoming what was the Premier League.

How soon before more 'Championship' teams drop to the National League, with the rest having to combine with the 'Premiership' run at a more realistic financial level.

There is definitely a bit of ambiguity on this 1.4, it would be a good idea if the BSPA could post a list of confirmed averages for all riders at the new calculation which can then be used to get to the 40 or 50 point limit, as many fans like to guess who can be fitted in to their team .

Far to simple

• Like 1