British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

What Was The Last Speedway Dvd/vhs You Watched?

Would love to see that 79 WTC final, nz speedway's finest hour.

A ageing Mauger ( still class) Shirra,Ross,Cribb, (res Abel how did that team win it???😕😕

A ageing Mauger ( still class) Shirra,Ross,Cribb, (res Abel how did that team win it???

They were fortunate in the very soggy meeting at Reading (I was present). It turned into very much of a lottery. However they fully deserved their win at White City (as well as the previous round although I didn't witness it) with a team of probably the only Kiwis riding in the British League (not including National League representation) at the time. If I recall Ivan's bike was being used virtually every race...certainly towards the end of the meeting!

A ageing Mauger ( still class) Shirra,Ross,Cribb, (res Abel how did that team win it???😕😕

Because on the day fate dealt them a hand and they willingly took it.

A ageing Mauger ( still class) Shirra,Ross,Cribb, (res Abel how did that team win it???

They were probably all using Mauger's bikes. (edit - just seen that Steve said the same above)

Edited by Dave Goddard
  • Like 1

They were probably all using Mauger's bikes. (edit - just seen that Steve said the same above)

Mauger what a rider i often wondered when Hull pushed Coventry hard for the title you knew Ivan was gutted when they were beaten.But he was a GREAT individual rider but he was a great team man to got extra points out of his lesser team riders with his knowledge he did it at Belle Vue ,Exeter,Hull Legend. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

You might expect me to comment on this thread. 1979 was one heck of year for Ivan and could have been even better: Individ World Champ, World Team Cup winner with New Zealand and should have been British League Champs with Hull. Records show Hull lost at Coventry on that nite, but not that the title was 'lost', effectively by Hull themsleves, earlier in the season when we had 3 rider no-shows at at Wimbledon to lose by 7 points (I think), one no-show at Swindon, drew 39-all, a narrow loss at Reading, Mauger himself + Ian Thomas were late arriving, and a narrow win at Poole became a draw when Mauger was exluded post race for a silencer infringement. Phew. After Ivan won the league with Belle vue and Exeter, both turning around the fortunes of the clubs and bringing on other riders (Collins at Belle Vue, Autrey at Exeter + Joe Owen & Dennis Sigalos at Hull), Hull remain the only club (apart from perhaps Newcastle, too tired to check!) where Mauger didn't win the league, despite one heck of a team effort. Most of the time.

I know for a fact this mightily hacked off Mauger himself, + IanThomas & co-promoter Brian Larner and also us fans of course. It could be said that Hull as a club, in that era, never really recovered from the disappointment.....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

You might expect me to comment on this thread. 1979 was one heck of year for Ivan and could have been even better: Individ World Champ, World Team Cup winner with New Zealand and should have been British League Champs with Hull. Records show Hull lost at Coventry on that nite, but not that the title was 'lost', effectively by Hull themsleves, earlier in the season when we had 3 rider no-shows at at Wimbledon to lose by 7 points (I think), one no-show at Swindon, drew 39-all, a narrow loss at Reading, Mauger himself + Ian Thomas were late arriving, and a narrow win at Poole became a draw when Mauger was exluded post race for a silencer infringement. Phew. After Ivan won the league with Belle vue and Exeter, both turning around the fortunes of the clubs and bringing on other riders (Collins at Belle Vue, Autrey at Exeter + Joe Owen & Dennis Sigalos at Hull), Hull remain the only club (apart from perhaps Newcastle, too tired to check!) where Mauger didn't win the league, despite one heck of a team effort. Most of the time.

I know for a fact this mightily hacked off Mauger himself, + IanThomas & co-promoter Brian Larner and also us fans of course. It could be said that Hull as a club, in that era, never really recovered from the disappointment.....

I attended that meeting at Coventry and it was packed to the rafters! As you correctly say Hull had 'lost' the championship earlier in the season when certain riders failed to arrived at Wimbledon (at least one rider even admitted that he no intention of making it). The meeting at Swindon I recall going to and despite the efforts of a Dennis Sigalos maximum (15 points from the reserve berth?) another match point was lost. Ivan was excluded for a silencer infringement after the race at Poole when apparently his silencer was dis-lodged when returning to the pits and it was reported to the referee by an over zealous official!

Yea Brandon certainly was packed that nite, we didn't realise at the time but Hull had already lost the championship (sob!). Re Wimbledon: Graham Drury came across road traffic collison - either held up by it or involved in it, I forget which. Can't comment on the other 3 no shows at Womble Land and and Swindon :wink: , Mauger said his silencer was dislodged on wooden boards when crossing the dog track at Poole, which the Pirates team manager noticed. Forgot to mention that Ivan also brought along Ole Olsen in his days at Newcastle. Wonder what became of Olsen :D ...

• Like 1

Check out the Classic Speedway DVD site run by Jan Staechmann. I'm sure that he has a copy.

Last night watched a 1990 British League encounter between Coventry and Oxford at Brandon in which Oxford won in the last heat. Great stuff but can't stand that Colin Martin's commentary...babbling on constantly!

think I remember that one

• Like 1

Yea Brandon certainly was packed that nite, we didn't realise at the time but Hull had already lost the championship (sob!). Re Wimbledon: Graham Drury came across road traffic collison - either held up by it or involved in it, I forget which. Can't comment on the other 3 no shows at Womble Land and and Swindon :wink: , Mauger said his silencer was dislodged on wooden boards when crossing the dog track at Poole, which the Pirates team manager noticed. Forgot to mention that Ivan also brought along Ole Olsen in his days at Newcastle. Wonder what became of Olsen :D ...

I'm sure that it was Joe Owen who admitted his non-attendance in an article in 'Backtrack'.

I attended that meeting at Coventry and it was packed to the rafters! As you correctly say Hull had 'lost' the championship earlier in the season when certain riders failed to arrived at Wimbledon (at least one rider even admitted that he no intention of making it). The meeting at Swindon I recall going to and despite the efforts of a Dennis Sigalos maximum (15 points from the reserve berth?) another match point was lost. Ivan was excluded for a silencer infringement after the race at Poole when apparently his silencer was dis-lodged when returning to the pits and it was reported to the referee by an over zealous official!

I remember the meeting well Sigalos got the lot from reserve and i am sure Kilby might of got a max as well but he never met Sigalos ??? remember Holloway getting 1111-4 that night vital points a real

howler of a night a real wet meeting.

• Like 1

I have a large selection of DVDs covering the 70's, 80's, 90's & 00's.

The last meeting I watched was the 1985 Knock-Out Cup (remember that competition?) 2nd Leg Final held at Cowley between Oxford and Ipswich.

The meeting had everything. A large crowd with plenty of atmosphere. Plenty of good racing and controversy....and the right result if you were an Oxford fan!

Great days!

yes was a great meeting troy butler legend john cook stuffing donkey I think in last heat what a night

• Like 1

Check out the Classic Speedway DVD site run by Jan Staechmann. I'm sure that he has a copy.

Last night watched a 1990 British League encounter between Coventry and Oxford at Brandon in which Oxford won in the last heat. Great stuff but can't stand that Colin Martin's commentary...babbling on constantly!

Was Colin "That's an interesting one for the referee...." whenever anyone fell off?

Was Colin "That's an interesting one for the referee...." whenever anyone fell off?

Probably! His commentary drove/drives me to distraction...hence why I always turn the sound down!

Probably! His commentary drove/drives me to distraction...hence why I always turn the sound down!

To be fair to Colin, he originally did audio tape recordings before joining with.... JSD Video?

So he was probably more used to doing a full description of the action.

"And that's a nasty, twisting fall........"