British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
damosuzuki

Glasgow 2017

Think lunna is nailed on Glasgow bought him last year so wo would be mad not to include him for this year at least

• Like 1

Brilliant solution having Sunday as alternative. Therefore there should be 4 meetings on a Sunday at least

The wording is :

"'Championship clubs must include include a young Brit with a 3-point average. In a bid to help young riders get a team spot any rider who hasn't achieved a 3-point average will come in on a minimum of 2'."

As the likes of Smith & Bacon have not achieved a 3 pt ave by not being part of a declared Championship club, then they should come in on 2.

IMO the ambiguity is for the likes of existing Championship riders who never attained an actual 3 pt average based on results, such as Danny Phillips, Nathan Greaves, etc. However they appear on the Green Sheets as 3.00. Say their actual average was 2.82, do they come in on, 2, 3, or 2.82?

Likewise what is the definition of a "young Brit" - is it under 19, under 21, under 25, under 30, etc., and also is it someone born in the UK, or of British parentage, or a naturalized UK citizen?

How I see it is new riders are unproven so are on a 3. Riders that have been in a declared team but not achieved a 3 will be on their true average but not less than 2. Hence Bailey on 2.05, Greaves on 2.32 as on twitter speedwayGB

See another comment on faceache saying "true" supporters will be there. :mad: Maybe he is a long time supporter but I'm sure people who just started coming to speedway when it moved to Ashfield but can't come on Saturdays would consider themselves to be "true" supporters.

• Like 3

See another comment on faceache saying "true" supporters will be there. :mad: Maybe he is a long time supporter but I'm sure people who just started coming to speedway when it moved to Ashfield but can't come on Saturdays would consider themselves to be "true" supporters.

Tyretrax, you've clearly and justifiably got a bee in yer bunnet about this 'true' supporter malarkey. No 'true' supporter would ever call out another and question their allegiance or commitment to the cause. Such is the nature of internet toilets like FB. Treat them like a Blantyre burger and avoid.

Only a year ago it was Fridays that were being hailed as the hot ticket. Had that move been ratified it would have been championed in much the same way this new switch has been. The promoters are clever businessmen, or so I read. In that case it must be assumed that Friday was their number one choice for a new racenight. The one night out of seven that would generate the highest returns. What other reason could there be?

If Friday was the unequivocal first choice, then, at that time, Saturday must have been, at best, second choice. If it was a genuine toss-up between Friday and Saturday, then why go for the one they must have known stood no realistic chance of being granted? It's unlikely Saturday was numero uno because no sane promotion would campaign to move to a Friday race night they knew ran second best, let alone second best to one which would be granted with little or no fuss. What has changed 12 months down the line?

Is this a veiled admission that Friday nights weren't that good an idea? Is it an admission that they're being forced to utilise their second best nightime choice? That Saturday crowds won't be as good as Friday crowds but better than Sunday crowds? Perhaps Saturday wasn't an option for 2016 but I fail to think of a reason why not. Or perhaps all the supposition is pointless and what you are witnessing is a promotion who are disappointed with attendances on a Sunday afternoon and know that the only way to find out if they're missing a trick is by giving it a shot. It'll either work or it won't.

Many would seem to have very sure opinions about how they think it will pan out, but the stark reality is that it's a blank canvas. Glasgow have traded well-mapped, if somewhat choppy, seas for almost completely uncharted waters. Only a fool or a madman would sail off into the unknown without a least a sense of trepidation. Here be monsters.

My condolences to all those who will miss out through the switch. I never had my racing put out of reach by a racenight change but I don't imagine it's a pleasurable experience. Having it shifted 120 miles down the road now seems like a minor inconvenience in comparison.

Let's hope you're not missed...

• Like 1

I genuinely feel sorry for those who can't attend on a Saturday due to other commitments eg work.

However, it looks like we will have at least 5/6 Sunday fixtures so they will still be able to support the team - not perfect but still something.

Personally, I think that over the years afternoon matches between early June and late August haven't been conducive to good entertainment - track too dusty, ineffective watering breaks etc.

Hopefully, the change of race night works and the huge investment made by the Facenna family to save the club at the end of 2014 is rewarded with more people coming through the doors on a regular basis - it's the least they deserve.

• Like 1

I hope so. The crowds on Sunday afternoons early in the season were sometimes very poor. I think 700-800 for a couple of the meetings. It wasn't the panacea some folk seem to think.

If Friday was the unequivocal first choice, then, at that time, Saturday must have been, at best, second choice. If it was a genuine toss-up between Friday and Saturday, then why go for the one they must have known stood no realistic chance of being granted? It's unlikely Saturday was numero uno because no sane promotion would campaign to move to a Friday race night they knew ran second best, let alone second best to one which would be granted with little or no fuss. What has changed 12 months down the line?

Is this a veiled admission that Friday nights weren't that good an idea? Is it an admission that they're being forced to utilise their second best nightime choice? That Saturday crowds won't be as good as Friday crowds but better than Sunday crowds? Perhaps Saturday wasn't an option for 2016 but I fail to think of a reason why not. Or perhaps all the supposition is pointless and what you are witnessing is a promotion who are disappointed with attendances on a Sunday afternoon and know that the only way to find out if they're missing a trick is by giving it a shot. It'll either work or it won't.

Friday nights used to attract big crowds to Shawfield, everyone that went there remembers the good old days. some people still think the speedway's at shawfield. So of course firstly alan biggart and now the facennas wanted a Friday night but they couldn't get it. As posted on the official page crowds have grown but not enough to sustain the costs of a good team and other costs. So what's changed and why wasn't Saturday used this year. I seem to remember reading in the evening newspaper that the promotion were trying to get approval from the council for more flexible hours at ashfield. I know there was a sunday curfew maybe Saturday was the same? And now they've got the council's go ahead?

To be honest, if I don't go on a Saturday I wouldn't go on a Sunday alternative race day. I'll just give a miss and if after a season they returned to a Sunday I more than likely would still give it a miss.

To be honest, if I don't go on a Saturday I wouldn't go on a Sunday alternative race day. I'll just give a miss and if after a season they returned to a Sunday I more than likely would still give it a miss.

Why?

I usually understand your posts straight off but must admit I'm not understanding this one mate. Please explain?

I have a lot of sympathy for fans who rarely comment but have said that the move from Sunday makes things difficult for them. Most understand the reasons for the move as listed by the club but are understandably disappointed.

My ears are closed to the serial complainers.

Edited by Fingersfin

I don't understand because a 'true supporter' would go to meetings that was possible for them to go to, which he described himself as.

I guess like for us all its individual choice, maybe just a bit upset with losing out on Saturdays when working, maybe later on when a few Sunday meetings run will have a change of heart and attend the ones that can make.