British Speedway Forum

Hougaard is a decent signing but Graversen makes no sense at all unless someone is lined up to replace him when the averages drop. Disappointing side overall tbh but it's not as bad as some are saying. Sure it will take some heavy defeats away but at home the top 3 are capable of beating any rider in the league and Allen will be one of the strongest reserves around.

In hindsight the use of last years PL averages hasn't helped. Tungate, Grajczonek, Wright and Starke have ended up with much higher averages and there is no 'bargain' such as Klindt, Newman, Kurtz, K Bjerre etc to level it out. It probably would have been best to lose a combination of Tungate/Grajczonek, Wright/Starke and Graversen, gone with a 2.00, Kim Nilsson/Kylmakorpi and whatever is left.

I think its fair to say that success for Premiership clubs this season will be measured at differing levels. Whilst Poole & Rye House for example have been built to win overall Somerset could consider a mid table finish in their maiden season a success.

I would say the main priorities are maintaining their fan base (using familiar riders will help this), winning home matches or at least being very competitive during them (team assembled capable of this) & most importantly ensuring the future of Somerset Speedway for years to come.

The Promotion have been very sensible in their choices which will insure the future of the club.

Hougaard is a decent signing but Graversen makes no sense at all unless someone is lined up to replace him when the averages drop. Disappointing side overall tbh but it's not as bad as some are saying. Sure it will take some heavy defeats away but at home the top 3 are capable of beating any rider in the league and Allen will be one of the strongest reserves around.

In hindsight the use of last years PL averages hasn't helped. Tungate, Grajczonek, Wright and Starke have ended up with much higher averages and there is no 'bargain' such as Klindt, Newman, Kurtz, K Bjerre etc to level it out. It probably would have been best to lose a combination of Tungate/Grajczonek, Wright/Starke and Graversen, gone with a 2.00, Kim Nilsson/Kylmakorpi and whatever is left.

I think BWD could replace Graveson after 8 meetings when averages are recalculated

I think BWD could replace Graveson after 8 meetings when averages are recalculated

Some big away defeats could leave them points to play with, even to a 42 point limit.

This is definitely not Elite League as it used to be a few years ago, Rohan would never have been a top league number 1, it's a Premier League under a new name but with fewer teams. Will fans get fed up seeing the same teams visiting. Unfortunately the gap between the few top riders and the former Premier riders is bigger and may give more processional racing and false averages. Hope it's a success but the old Premier was better with more variety and riders more evenly matched, team should win at home but may struggle away, how ever Gary not afraid to make changes.

Edited by oldtimer

i have an opinion same as everyone and that is that Somerset will do well at home even against the stronger side like Poole , Rye House and Wolves.

What i dont like is the resident Poole trolls like Monster Daz going on every thread to mock every other team

lovely phrasing.

i have an opinion on Somersets team and applaud them for what they are doing. Unlike some who are happy just to bash them and yes does tend to be Poole fans who do this far more than any other club

Yes, but you are just as biased as Starman just against and not for Poole. Just ignore anyone who is trolling. I just roll my eyes and scroll down to the next post(and yes, i do roll my eyes at a lot of your posts! ;) )It's not worth the energy tbh. Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

If Somerset couldn't agree afford terms with KK or PK what makes people think they can get Chris Holder?! ;-)

Not far out was I?? But a good team assembled within their budget so good news for sustainable Speedway in Somerset. :t:

This is definitely not Elite League as it used to be a few years ago, Rohan would never have been a top league number 1, it's a Premier League under a new name but with fewer teams. Will fans get fed up seeing the same teams visiting. Unfortunately the gap between the few top riders and the former Premier riders is bigger and may give more processional racing and false averages. Hope it's a success but the old Premier was better with more variety and riders more evenly matched, team should win at home but may struggle away, how ever Gary not afraid to make changes.

Who said this was anything like the Elite League? I could understand the outcries of horror if the previous Elite league was such a success... But it wasn't really was it? Belle Vue, Leicester, Eastbourne, Lakeside and Birmingham all pushed to breaking point in recent seasons in the previous Elite League format. Sustainable speedway has to be the way to go and if that means losing the top riders in the world and Grand Prix riders then so be it quite frankly!

• Like 7

As for Somerset's team they will do ok at home but i would not have thought it is the sort of track to have massive home advantage so there could be one or two losses at home.

Have a look at their home results over the past few seasons and see how difficult it is for away riders to score points at the OTA. Somerset ride their own track very well indeed as it's a unique shape and they've retained five riders from last year so they will be hard work at home for anybody.

• Like 3

Ouch could we be all wrong again , looks like a poor side...... so title winners!!

It's quite ironic isn't it? Nearly the same team as last year which nearly everybody had to finish around the lower parts of the table - just imagine if lightning struck twice!

• Like 1

Thank god for you mate !!! Nice to see someone who can see beyond the end of their nose !!!

• Like 2

I think Somerset have put together a team that will entertain at home and won't burst the bank either,

I can see the logic of keeping 5 of this years team as they are all dialled into the Oak tree arena.

Sensible team building and I wish them all the luck in the world even though they are a loss to the championship.

• Like 5

Poole through and through.

I have paid compliments to the Rye House, Coventry (As of late) and the rumoured KL line-up on their respective threads.

This post was almost as funny as the Graversen announcement last night

Tungate as No.1 the same rider who Swindon fans wanted sacked half way through last season? Jan Graversen the less said the better.

FYI I think Tungate is a good rider who will get better but he isn't a No.1 imo.

Rohan improved a hell of a lot after the threat of him going, so I think everybody was glad he stayed.

I would not have objected to him staying as a Robin this year.

Rohan improved a hell of a lot after the threat of him going, so I think everybody was glad he stayed.

I would not have objected to him staying as a Robin this year.

He did, i totally agree. But he's not an out and out No 1. That said, im pleased that Garrys kept him on.