British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Ryan Macdonald confirmed as the last rider

Congratulations to Mac. Big dedication to complete that journey every week (and some hefty travelling expenses for the club). Could anybody confirm the other 9 who tried out today?

MacDonald is probably the best MDL style rider still unattached, but I thought Lakeside were going to go down a different route and sign a newbie to the league that they'd unearthed.

Iam sure they snapped up the best rider on the day.

He probably was, I don't doubt that and I said that. He's often been useful, if not spectacular in the NL. Both the Hammers reserves will finish on averages around 3.50 to 4.00 imo.

Cousins was the best of the team place riders, Mcdonald looked good going round the bends but was shutting right off half way down the straights,,What were they looking at??????????

Cousins was the best of the team place riders, Mcdonald looked good going round the bends but was shutting right off half way down the straights,,What were they looking at??????????

I have seen a few comments now saying this about all of the riders except Ben and Zach? Can see me going tomorrow and that's if if that is the case.

Yeah but many riders will struggle first time they experience Lakesides track, is always an advantage at first. However against Eastbourne you will have a team who knows very much how to ride it.

I have seen a few comments now saying this about all of the riders except Ben and Zach? Can see me going tomorrow and that's if if that is the case.

Riders are going to find Lakeside's track difficult at first. You just need to give them chance.

Lakeside Hammers Speedway Press Release 17027ebf-62fb-4370-bbab-0c8323e4159a.jpg

Hammers V Eagles Preview

03e17780-0768-4791-9e1a-7e4e051240d3.jpg

Lakeside boss Kelvin Tatum admits they have been counting down the days to their blockbuster season-opener against Eastbourne on Good Friday.

The Vortex Hammers will renew their old rivalry with the Eagles as they do battle twice over the course of the day.

The two sides will meet at the Arena-Essex Raceway at 1pm before heading down to Arlington for the second leg at 7.30.

With the Lee Richardson Memorial Trophy up for grabs, supporters are set to be in for some exciting action.

And Tatum says they can’t wait to finally get a new era for the club underway on a busy day of action.

“We’ve been looking forward to this weekend for some time,” Tatum said. “It’s a great way to kick-off the season, against the old enemy, and it’s looking like being a fantastic day.

We don’t have any real idea of where we stand at the moment, so we should come out of Friday with a better idea of how we stack up in the scheme of things.

The weather forecast is looking clear, and with both teams battling for the Lee Richardson Memorial Trophy I’m sure we’ll get two very entertaining meetings.”

Meanwhile, the Hammers will hand Ryan MacDonald their No.7 race jacket after the Scottish youngster impressed at their press and practice day on Thursday.

73c06734-019f-4392-95b2-878941e141b2.jpg

Tatum commented: “Ryan showed good pace, and he improved with every lap at a tricky circuit which was new to him. His pace was very encouraging, and the fact he’s made the effort to come all the way from Glasgow shows how much he wants to ride for the club

We’ll give him the No.7 race jacket for this weekend against Eastbourne, and then we’ll take things from there.”

VORTEX LAKESIDE HAMMERS:

Ben Morley, George Hunter, David Mason, Alfie Bowtell, Zach Wajtknecht, Nick Laurence, Ryan MacDonald.

EASTBOURNE IT FIRST EAGLES:

Mark Baseby, Kelsey Dugard, Connor Coles, Mattie Bates, Georgie Wood, Charley Powell, Tom Brennan

Edited by Guest

Looks like a weekend trial for Ryan Macdonald i hope he does well..I also hope they give Jamie Couzins a similar opportunity sooner rather than later...personally i think he would do better than Nick Lawrence ....

Edited by waco

Well your predictions are terrible: Birmingham won't be top nor will Cradley Kings Lynn form away from home has always been disasterous Plymouth have the weakest second strings and 3rd heat leader in the league your only close with mildenhall. I think once eastbourne win the challenge against lakeside you will see which team will excel this year :)

Oh dear😂😂

Lakeside Hammers Speedway Press Release 9e5bc9f1-345a-41e5-9180-5eb505cec86c.jpg

Hammers duo shine in Trophy defeat

Brilliant British youngster Zach Wajtknecht has already formed a formidable partnership with Ben Morley at Lakeside.

Bristol-based Wajtknecht, who is also racing for Premiership side Swindon this season, dropped just one point to an opposing rider over two meetings with Eastbourne on Good Friday.

Sadly for the Vortex Hammers, they didn’t have enough strength in depth to win the Lee Richardson Memorial Trophy despite a home win in the opening meeting of the season at the Arena-Essex Raceway which pulled in a bumper crowd.

The leading duo piled up a paid total of 58-points over the two meetings but Hammers missed out to a stronger lower Eagles order.

c36474ed-c015-4d72-87b3-4990dac9d742.jpg

Said Wajtknecht: “For me to drop only one point over two meetings is very, very pleasing.

Ben was brilliant too, we scored a lot of points between us for the team and it’s a great way for me to start the National League season.

I’m fairly happy with my start to the season overall, now I have to keep it going.”

The Vortex Hammers go to Kent in more challenge action on Monday (3pm) before the return at Arena-Essex next Friday at 8pm.

LEE RICHARDSON MEMORIAL TROPHY, 1st leg

LAKESIDE 48: Ben Morley 15, Zach Wajtknecht 13+2, David Mason 11, Nick Laurence 3, Ryan MacDonald 2+1, Alfie Bowtell 2+1, George Hunter 2.

EASTBOURNE 42: Tom Brennan 9+2, Matt Bates 9, Georgie Wood 8, Mark Baseby 7, Connor Coles 4+4, Charley Powell 3+1, Kelsey Dugard 2+1.

LEE RICHARDSON MEMORIAL TROPHY, 2nd leg

EASTBOURNE 51: Tom Brennan 10+1, Georgie Wood 9, Connor Coles 8+2, Mark Baseby 7, Charley Powell 6+3, Matt Bates 6+1, Kelsey Dugard 5+2.

LAKESIDE 39: Zach Wajtknecht 14, Ben Morley 12+2, Alfie Bowtell 7, George Hunter 2+1, David Mason 2+1, Nick Laurence 2, Ryan MacDonald 0.

Eastbourne win 93-87 on aggregate

Image: Ben and Zach celebrate their heat 15 5-1 at Eastbourne

Edited by Guest

Plenty of positives to take from the opening two challenge matches. Ben and Zach both looking classy. A good home meeting from David Mason. A good away meeting from Alfie shows he has plenty of promise. An unfortunate day for George but im sure we'll soon see what he's capable of. Be interesting to see how the reserves fair against Kent next week. With Kelvin at the helm, I'm confident we're going to have a good, competitive season.

Plenty of positives to take from the opening two challenge matches. Ben and Zach both looking classy. A good home meeting from David Mason. A good away meeting from Alfie shows he has plenty of promise. An unfortunate day for George but im sure we'll soon see what he's capable of. Be interesting to see how the reserves fair against Kent next week. With Kelvin at the helm, I'm confident we're going to have a good, competitive season.

At last a positive Hammer!