British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigballs

What Makes A Good Team Manager?

Just sayin before somebody says you couldn't do that.. Well we did. Usual guff on this forum..

Won't be doing it next year.

Won't be doing it next year.

Doing what next year ?

He was a fantastic bloke. A massive loss to Poole speedway.

He was by far the best promoter I ever dealt with and really fair to riders, very few as good as he was and the same for streety as manager, both great people and sadly missed in speedway.

He was by far the best promoter I ever dealt with and really fair to riders, very few as good as he was and the same for streety as manager, both great people and sadly missed in speedway.

:t:

As a Rebels fan I would say Garry May (or when he couldn't make it to Peterborough earlier in the season someone called Garry Day ;) ). He can certainly motivate any team of 7 riders and has proved that over the last 5 years at Somerset. He knows how each rider operates and the best way to get the best out of them.

As others have said Neil Street was very good also. I can class him as a family friend but it didn't matter if you had known Neil for years or 5 minutes he would still share his knowledge with you if you gave him the opportunity.As SCB said he knew more about the sport than most of us!

• Like 1

As a Rebels fan I would say Garry May (or when he couldn't make it to Peterborough earlier in the season someone called Garry Day ;) ). He can certainly motivate any team of 7 riders and has proved that over the last 5 years at Somerset. He knows how each rider operates and the best way to get the best out of them.

As others have said Neil Street was very good also. I can class him as a family friend but it didn't matter if you had known Neil for years or 5 minutes he would still share his knowledge with you if you gave him the opportunity.As SCB said he knew more about the sport than most of us!

Garry is starting to make himself a very good team manager as his record shows. It wont be long before he is asked to concider taking on the Team GB roll.

But no disrespect to him, he will like others only be able to use whats at his disposal. Next season could be as big test for him. Looking forward to taking the mickey out of him home and away.. :D :D

Edited by Starman2006

No Neil street didn't spot them, somebody did it for him and they were recomened to him at Poole during the Pete Ansell Mervin stewkebury promotion.

In the meantime Matt still has the same outlets.

You do realise there are other tracks than the one at Poole and Neil took riders to many of them over the years? He spotted and then helped many youngsters in his time and was brilliant at it.

• Like 1

I thought Scott Courtney did a very good job as Berwick manager in his first season. Worked with a struggling team all season, the next injury was never far away, a team lacking a genuine number one, but stayed totally motivated and positive all the way through the season. Don't know if the guests for missing riders were all his choice, but the vast majority were spot on. And i witnessed first hand some of the work he did behind the scenes on track preparation and laying the covers. Very committed and passionate about the club.

• Like 1

No Neil street didn't spot them, somebody did it for him and they were recomened to him at Poole during the Pete Ansell Mervin stewkebury promotion.

In the meantime Matt still has the same outlets.

Unlimited spend. That is something poole speedway does not have. We have a lot very good sponsors a very good fan base and a very shrewd promoter.

Starman you are wrong Neil Street did spot them - he could see the talent & potential. One of the few not spotted but recommended to him was Craig Boyce, but ask Craig how much an influence Neil Street was to him as manager of Poole & Australia. Ask Julian Wigg what influence he had on Simon during his Weymouth days. Those of us who knew "Bill" personally regret he never had a book written on his lifetime in speedway.

• Like 4

Those of us who knew "Bill" personally regret he never had a book written on his lifetime in speedway.

How true! Even if someone was to write the book now from other people memories of the guy I'd buy it. Such a shame nobody ever got a book out of him. But what stories to tell? The guy always had a story and you could have the Neil Street Collection that would have taken another lifetime to write!

Someone, please try and write a book about Neil Streets life, there enough people worked with him over the years to have so many great stories.

For his knowledge and understanding of the rule book along with his tactical awareness, Tim Sugar was one of the best team managers around during his time.

• Like 1

For his knowledge and understanding of the rule book along with his tactical awareness, Tim Sugar was one of the best team managers around during his time.

Really. :nono::P:D

• Like 1

I could definitely mention a few things that DOESN'T make a good team manager

• Like 4

I could definitely mention a few things that DOESN'T make a good team manager

Go on then

I can't remember who said it but I heard somebody say recently they the best football manager in the world is whoever has Lionel Messi in his team. I think the same principle applies to most sports.