British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

National Development League Agm

So we have a cobbled together BV / Cov team who in the worst case scenario could be homeless unless agreements to use the stadiums are secured, and there's this part time Swindon Sprockets team being mooted.

Jumpers for goal posts, anyone?

What do you expect that a further announcement will disclose?

Er,maybe your question about the name?The fixtures?The team line-up?Who is financing this?All questions you seemingly can't wait to be answered ;)

Interestingly on the Speedway GB site, you can go to the NL section and look at the list of clubs who will be competing in 2017.

The Belle Vue and Coventry logos are snuggled up together nice and tight to show their new combined status.

When you click onto the double-headed logo you are whisked away to Belle Vue's web page.

So, in essence, this team is the Belle Vue Colts and Coventry are the junior partners.

Er,maybe your question about the name?The fixtures?The team line-up?Who is financing this?All questions you seemingly can't wait to be answered ;)

Fair point!

So will this announcement be tomorrow or will we have to wait for it along with the various other announcements that are in the queue?

Fair point!

So will this announcement be tomorrow or will we have to wait for it along with the various other announcements that are in the queue?

Ah,i see you really are interested and need to book your holidays to take in the fixtures........ :rofl:

• Like 1

Who would you suggest I support?

Speedway

• Like 2

Speedway

I think you can do better than that!

I have supported speedway for 50 years and hope to do so for a while longer.

Do you honestly believe that a "solution" like this adds to the brand that is speedway?

You could perhaps understand it, if the two promotions involved were next door neighbours.

They're not.

Coventry is the land of Ole Olsen and Manchester is the land of Peter Collins.

We are like chalk and cheese.

Unless there are genuine team rivalries what is the point?

I'm sure I am missing something here, but who is this going to appeal to and is it likely to get more people coming through the gates?

Its a bit of a cop out? Either go 40 or 38. 39 seems a touch pointless (point-less geddit)

I suppose it was the figure not to affend any one. I wanted 40, other's wanted 38, so we're all nearly happy! Still think set it now for 2 years, gives it continuity next year for team building before the next agm.

Interestingly on the Speedway GB site, you can go to the NL section and look at the list of clubs who will be competing in 2017.

The Belle Vue and Coventry logos are snuggled up together nice and tight to show their new combined status.

When you click onto the double-headed logo you are whisked away to Belle Vue's web page.

So, in essence, this team is the Belle Vue Colts and Coventry are the junior partners.

Fair point!

And I wouldn't mind but when you do go to the Belle Vue site, the last post is dated 4 November and there is nothing about this at all.

If this joint venture is such a good idea, then it is a shame that somebody couldn't have posted something on the web page to tell us something about it or at least acknowledge the existence of this new equipe.

I think you can do better than that!

I have supported speedway for 50 years and hope to do so for a while longer.

Do you honestly believe that a "solution" like this adds to the brand that is speedway?

You could perhaps understand it, if the two promotions involved were next door neighbours.

They're not.

Coventry is the land of Ole Olsen and Manchester is the land of Peter Collins.

We are like chalk and cheese.

Unless there are genuine team rivalries what is the point?

I'm sure I am missing something here, but who is this going to appeal to and is it likely to get more people coming through the gates?

It's not ideal but it is what it is.

It's hardly the first time this has taken place. A few years back Scunthorpe and Sheffield shared a team and ran at both tracks. If both tracks are willing to do it and 7 young riders get a chance to race who wouldn't have done otherwise, then good luck to them.

personally I find this team sharing another nail like doubling up/down , if I were a supporter of either team I wouldn't support this venture ,it just goes against the whole team sport principle and imo while this practice is allowed to go on we are just slipping to a sad end , but as I said its just my opinion and my opinion matters not

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

I don't want to be negative, I really don't.

I was there at Hyde Road when Peter Collins raced against Ole Olsen and I was there when the opposing groups of fans indulged in their passionate but friendly rivalry.

I was there when Soldier Boy heckled Olsen and I was there when speedway was great.

Yeah, I know rose-tinted spectacles and all that!

But speedway is better than cobbled together teams of Travelling Wilburys.

If you can't afford to run a proper NL team, run in the MDL or something like that.

Build up your fanbase and let them grow with you.

I would far rather see a league of 10 half-decent teams rather than a collection of odd bods thrown together for the sake of convenience.

I'll shut up now.

Sorry for banging on.

Edited by Little Thumper

Could 'we' draw 'us' in the Cup?😁

It's hardly the first time this has taken place. A few years back Scunthorpe and Sheffield shared a team and ran at both tracks.

...and won the league.

Can't remember how they split things. Will they ride as Belle Vue in Colts racejackets with a Belle Vue manager when at Belle Vue, and ride as Coventry in Storm racejackets with a Coventry manager when at Coventry?

I Imagine it's a disadvantage for the riders having 2 home tracks and 2 different managers, but it must've worked out OK for Scunthorpe/Sheffield when they won the title.

All a bit farcical this, along with Swindon running a NT team cobbled together from riders of other teams, very amateur.

If with Belle Vue they'd just said it was the Colts but they'd have to ride some meetings at Coventry due to track restrictions it would have been a bit more acceptable, though you'd ask why they couldn't get somewhere closer. The way it's been worded makes it sound like it's intended as some sort of hybrid though.