British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

National Development League Agm

I've said it here countless times, it should be an experience limit not an age limit. It's perfectly easy to work out and implement, each team can only have one rider who has been riding for 5+ years for example as opposed to one over 25 year-old per team.

And on another thread, people are hoping that Leigh Lanham could join the ranks of the bright young things in the National League.

I've said it here countless times, it should be an experience limit not an age limit. It's perfectly easy to work out and implement, each team can only have one rider who has been riding for 5+ years for example as opposed to one over 25 year-old per team.

If you did that, at a rough count you'd rule out no less than 22 riders or about a quarter of the riding strength.

Do you know of 22 others ?

And on another thread, people are hoping that Leigh Lanham could join the ranks of the bright young things in the National League.

I'd maintain that there is a case for the provision of one senior rider in each NL team. Lanham, in my view, would be an excellent signing for some team packed with young riders desperate for experience because he'd be out on the track with them. As I have said before, I have never heard a bad word about Jon Armstrong and both his enthusiasm and willingness to assist younger riders and I have heard an awful lot of good ones. That, alone, is grounds to have him there.

What you can't have - if at possible - are teams packed full of them because the NDL is just that.

Having said that, it should never be forgotten that the NDL is not just a training league - for most of the clubs, its a business and requires a product that will attract paying customers. Having a team utterly composed of total novices would send those clubs to the wall, and that's why I have some sympathy with Stoke. What looks like a Dad's Army team was, to a degree, forced on them by circumstances.

Personally, I think most teams in the NL get it pretty much spot on which is all to their credit.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

What I would do is similar to the Premiership where under 25 or recent Junior, if over, could have an attractive incentivised average to encourage promoters to sign them if they wish to.

I'm not terribly In touch with the Amateur scene as far as I know there may well be enough riders of 2nd string standard on the circuit who can't get places. I know Ryan NcDonald deserves a place where he can worry about developing his riding as opposed to worrying if he will get dropped next week.

If you have a team of 4 reserve standard riders the better ones will always get the no 6 & 7 as regardless of what is said in public teams still ant to win and the less able will get 2&4 which is a tall order

Edited by TMW

Imo the NL doesn't need any rule about maximum ages or limits on riders because, as HT points out, nearly every team gets it spot on atm. The number of riders that have moved up from the junior scene has increased in recent years and the number of riders getting team places has increased too simply down to the increased number of teams! I fail to see how 'old' riders are taking others' places when there aren't more riders out there to take these team places with 12 clubs in the league. Traditionally the issue has been that the top end NL riders have struggled to move up to the PL but the introduction of last year's mandatory number 7 and this year's 2.00 minimum has aided that. However I'll re-evaluate my opinion if the rules if the number of NL teams dropped, but atm there's enough reserve slots to fit newbies in and enough team places that 'old' riders aren't taking the places of younger riders.

• Like 4

If it ain't broke don't fix it imo. The NL is arguably the one league in reasonable shape so happy to continue like it is thanks.

• Like 7

Just a thought: is the use of the word DEVELOPMENT in the league title a handicap rather than of benefit? I used the title when chatting with a National sports journalist the other day and we briefly mentioned speedway. I refreshed him on the structure for the two top sections, then added a third as the National DEVELOPMENT League.

He felt the title reflected that the competition was just a training league and not REAL speedway. I impressed on him that was not the case but don't think he really accepted my view.

​Refresh my memory anyway: why is the competition known as the National DEVELOPMENT League? The title perhaps does reflect it is not mainstream speedway but just a training competition - and we all know that view is far from being accurate.

Just a thought: is the use of the word DEVELOPMENT in the league title a handicap rather than of benefit? I used the title when chatting with a National sports journalist the other day and we briefly mentioned speedway. I refreshed him on the structure for the two top sections, then added a third as the National DEVELOPMENT League.

He felt the title reflected that the competition was just a training league and not REAL speedway. I impressed on him that was not the case but don't think he really accepted my view.

​Refresh my memory anyway: why is the competition known as the National DEVELOPMENT League? The title perhaps does reflect it is not mainstream speedway but just a training competition - and we all know that view is far from being accurate.

Very valid point although i do not envy the task of explaining the sport to an outsider at any level.

How could you possibly differentiate between the National development League & the Midland Development league and reflect the genuine differences?

The National Induction League? Although that doesn't always apply as the likes of Bewley / Bickley are being offered immediate berths in the higher leagues. Ultimately its only a matter of time before a new rider bypasses the NL altogether.

Agree with gustix, when telling new folk about speedway I just refer to us as the National League or third tier ( although with so much doubling up it is hard to argue that there is 2 tiers above it anyway)

• Like 1

No-one uses the word 'development' anyway, other than the regulations & Kent PR. It may as well just be dropped and referred to as the NL.

• Like 2

Very valid point although i do not envy the task of explaining the sport to an outsider at any level.

How could you possibly differentiate between the National development League & the Midland Development league and reflect the genuine differences?

The National Induction League? Although that doesn't always apply as the likes of Bewley / Bickley are being offered immediate berths in the higher leagues. Ultimately its only a matter of time before a new rider bypasses the NL altogether.

Agree with gustix, when telling new folk about speedway I just refer to us as the National League or third tier ( although with so much doubling up it is hard to argue that there is 2 tiers above it anyway)

No-one uses the word 'development' anyway, other than the regulations & Kent PR. It may as well just be dropped and referred to as the NL.

Even on their website the SGB only refers to - correctly IMO and according to the quotes - the competition as the NATIONAL LEAGUE.

http://www.speedwaygb.co

Just heard about a change to the venue for this year's National Development League AGM.

It has been decided that now that gustix has shown a keen interest in taking over the promotion at Stoke and because he is obviously passionate about reforming the whole shebang, then this year's NDL Jamboree is going to held at gustix's house!

You might need to get a bulk order in to Mr Kipling, gustix because this crowd can hoover it up like there's no tomorrow!

Have a good one.

:t:

It's the 5th of December today...and we know more about tomorrow being St Nicholas day than we do about a date for the AGM. Incredible.

It's the 5th of December today...and we know more about tomorrow being St Nicholas day than we do about a date for the AGM. Incredible.

These things work on a Need to Know basis.

Clearly, if troublemakers like uk martin and gustix got to know where this extravaganza is being held, then they might just pitch up and wave banners or let the tyres down on the fat cats' fancy motors.

Or worse still, perhaps one of the miscreants that loiter about on this forum might hide in the bushes and observe some goings-on that were, shall we say, less than savoury. A slap up meal, a few glasses of sherry and before you know it, all kinds of hanky panky might break out.

Be patient, uk martin, when the time is right, the British Speedway Propaganda Association website will bring you up to speed with all the important, sport-saving matters such as re-branding, green helmet covers and multiplying various numbers together to arrive at the number that you first thought of.

Keep the faith!

:t:

The AGM is the 13th December.

• Like 1

I posted it's 13th December about two weeks ago.

• Like 1