British Speedway Forum

Aye getting away from the pages of juvenile mud slinging , I agree . £2-90 isn't an astronomical amount for a magazine in this day and age . Having an actual magazine to hold in your hands to read is always better than clicking a mouse on a computer , much the same as holding an LP in your hands rather than downloading something . I've grown up reading the Speedway Star and into my late fifties , I still do . Much of the soundtrack to my lifelong love of speedway was being greeted entering the stadium at Glasgow by a bloke shouting " get yer Speedway Star , Speedway Mail " , you just had to buy both .

Used to buy mine off 'Kojak' at Cowley...who used to wind the opposition crowd up a treat!

• Like 1

I wouldn't say it's crap but the journalism, at times, leaves a lot to be desired. After my earlier post re Chris Holder being the youngest World Champion I find Craven, Moore, Collins, Lee and Woffinden were all younger. Does the editor actually check articles before they appear?

It's never been great on its factual accuracy.

anyone not received theirs due last Thursday??

My deliveries lately have been anything from Thursday to Monday.

Possibly because of the fact that the Post Office is now starting to handle extra mail created through the Christmas holiday. First class mail always has the priority and, with respects, a mailed magazine does not qualify for that rating.

On another note - nothing really to do with the Mail - should I have said FESTIVE holiday. Some people get upset to see the word CHRISTmas!

Edited by Guest

Speedway Star this week says that on 6 October 2012 Chris Holder shocked the world by becoming the youngest World Champion. Surely Michael Lee, for one, was younger?

Just got to the end of the article and see the interview was for Monster Energy. Perhaps this explains the inaccuracy.

Was it in an article written by someone who works for the Bournmouth Echo? As they keep repeating this, "fact".

My deliveries lately have been anything from Thursday to Monday.

I was told by my postman that some of the magazine mail is held back sometimes at the discretion of the sorting office, my star was very haphazard in being delivered until I complained to the local manager, funnily enough it's been as regular as clockwork since then, the only factor which can affect my delivery is bank holidays sometimes making it a day late.

As for the articles I still think most are a good read, clearly when you use a lot of different contributors the standard can vary as in all jobs but overall I think it's good value and having read it for 46 years I don't anticipate giving it up anytime soon.

• Like 2

Possibly because of the fact that the Post Office is now starting to handle extra mail created through the Christmas holiday. First class mail always has the priority and, with respects, a mailed magazine does not qualify for that rating.

On another note - nothing really to do with the Mail - should I have said FESTIVE holiday. Some people get upset to see the word CHRISTmas!

HOPE it does as we pay first class mail rate...

I was told by my postman that some of the magazine mail is held back sometimes at the discretion of the sorting office, my star was very haphazard in being delivered until I complained to the local manager, funnily enough it's been as regular as clockwork since then, the only factor which can affect my delivery is bank holidays sometimes making it a day late.

As for the articles I still think most are a good read, clearly when you use a lot of different contributors the standard can vary as in all jobs but overall I think it's good value and having read it for 46 years I don't anticipate giving it up anytime soon.

THANKS

Aye getting away from the pages of juvenile mud slinging , I agree . £2-90 isn't an astronomical amount for a magazine in this day and age . Having an actual magazine to hold in your hands to read is always better than clicking a mouse on a computer , much the same as holding an LP in your hands rather than downloading something . I've grown up reading the Speedway Star and into my late fifties , I still do . Much of the soundtrack to my lifelong love of speedway was being greeted entering the stadium at Glasgow by a bloke shouting " get yer Speedway Star , Speedway Mail " , you just had to buy both .

Yep had to have both although preferred the Star, more reading, the Mail had loads of photos.

Yep had to have both although preferred the Star, more reading, the Mail had loads of photos.

........... and much better Journalism than it has today. Pick up a copy of Speedway Star in the fifties, sixties or seventies and it was a very good read indeed. The Magazine is far more flashy nowadays but nowhere near the same standard of content that the old ones used to contain.

Not that it really matters what I think.

I do, however, wish Speedway Star well. I will continue to purchase it on an ad hoc basis.

• Like 1

........... and much better Journalism than it has today. Pick up a copy of Speedway Star in the fifties, sixties or seventies and it was a very good read indeed. The Magazine is far more flashy nowadays but nowhere near the same standard of content that the old ones used to contain.

Not that it really matters what I think.

I do, however, wish Speedway Star well. I will continue to purchase it on an ad hoc basis.

I don't buy it in winter but buy it at the club shop at Swindon on a Thursday night, or at the local Sainsburys or Tescos. Love the special edition, my bruv in Oz gets a copy, although it costs me a fortune to airmail.

Can Mr.Rising give us the circulation figures for the different times of year?

• Like 1

I don't buy it in winter but buy it at the club shop at Swindon on a Thursday night, or at the local Sainsburys or Tescos. Love the special edition, my bruv in Oz gets a copy, although it costs me a fortune to airmail.

Can Mr.Rising give us the circulation figures for the different times of year?

Actually that is odd because I much prefer it in the winter. There are some decent articles by John Chaplin that are usually worth a read, about the old days.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

Your postie is talking garbage.