British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Does British Speedway Have Future?

I most definitely don't include Mike Bacon in this generalisation but, from past experience of working in offices shared with local sports journos, they are intrinisically lazy and love having all the leg-work done for them.

You're quite right that you need to make it easy. I've certainly got stuff published in publications by just writing the article for the journalists (which also ensured the facts were correct!), and it's a pretty cheap east way of getting some exposure.

However, readership of local newspapers has fallen through the floor in recent years, and the result has been culling of reporters. I'd be surprised if local newspapers can even spare a reporter to cover speedway and probably rely on volunteers to submit copy nowadays. Even John Gaisford I think did it more-or-less as a hobby in later years.

And even assuming that local newspapers are still read by anyone, are you getting across the message to an audience that's going to constitute the future of your business?

They trusted you not to stitch them up or fabricate quotes. What they said was 'off the record' remained so. But players and managers don't trust the media anymore.

And they're right to be untrusting. The modern media method seems to be to always try to find some sort of controversial angle, and if the facts don't fit, then either omit them or make something up.

I very occasionally have journalists calling me to do stories on this or that, and whilst it's usually about reasonably complex technicalities, most seem completely incapable of relating any resemblance of what they've been told. And you also have to always insist on approving the copy before it's published, otherwise all sorts of controversial rubbish will be attributed to you.

That's basically why journalists get mundane and meaningless answers.

• Like 1

Before anyone points out that focusing on the older generation will result in most of today's customers all being dead in 20 years from now, remember that today's 40-year-olds will be the next generation to keep the speedway turnstiles clicking . . .

'Oldies' are the future.

If you start to completely forget about getting kids to attend then where are you going to get future riders from?

I know it's difficult for most clubs due to stadium restrictions etc but the best way to get younger people interested is to make it easier for them to try the sport themselves. That is the ultimate problem, it's easy to get them interested in football, rugby, cricket, tennis etc because it is so easy for them to do those sports. Clearly speedway is entirely different but there are clubs who hold training days for little or no cost and they should be heavily advertised more than the sport itself. Get them interested in the bikes and riding first.

• Like 3

You're quite right that you need to make it easy. I've certainly got stuff published in publications by just writing the article for the journalists (which also ensured the facts were correct!), and it's a pretty cheap east way of getting some exposure.

However, readership of local newspapers has fallen through the floor in recent years, and the result has been culling of reporters. I'd be surprised if local newspapers can even spare a reporter to cover speedway and probably rely on volunteers to submit copy nowadays. Even John Gaisford I think did it more-or-less as a hobby in later years.

And even assuming that local newspapers are still read by anyone, are you getting across the message to an audience that's going to constitute the future of your business?

And they're right to be untrusting. The modern media method seems to be to always try to find some sort of controversial angle, and if the facts don't fit, then either omit them or make something up.

I very occasionally have journalists calling me to do stories on this or that, and whilst it's usually about reasonably complex technicalities, most seem completely incapable of relating any resemblance of what they've been told. And you also have to always insist on approving the copy before it's published, otherwise all sorts of controversial rubbish will be attributed to you.

That's basically why journalists get mundane and meaningless answers.

I never knew about that! One lives and learns!

If you start to completely forget about getting kids to attend then where are you going to get future riders from?

I know it's difficult for most clubs due to stadium restrictions etc but the best way to get younger people interested is to make it easier for them to try the sport themselves. That is the ultimate problem, it's easy to get them interested in football, rugby, cricket, tennis etc because it is so easy for them to do those sports. Clearly speedway is entirely different but there are clubs who hold training days for little or no cost and they should be heavily advertised more than the sport itself. Get them interested in the bikes and riding first.

Good point. I'm not saying COMPLETELY forget about trying to attract a younger audience - just don't waste money the sport doesn't have on what will largely be a futile exercise.

What I should have added to my previous post about luring back the retired oldies with disposable income is that, by doing so, tracks might also welcome new, much younger, supporters at the same time. It's the way of the world now that many grandparents are saddled with their grandkids for days and weeks during school holidays, when their offspring are working. So there would be a chance for them to treat the grandkids to a night or day out at the speedway.

I agree with what you say about the best way to appeal to kids is to let them have a 'skid' themselves, ideally on scaled down bikes of much lower cc, as they do in Denmark. But how many tracks, especially those who rent their stadium, can offer such opportunities and facilities?

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

Of course in my boy hood day riders always took kids around the track on their bikes during the interval and I remember collecting autographs in the pits as the riders were getting changed and dismantling their machinery and being in awe of my heroes...but good old H&S and all that!

• Like 2

Of course in my boy hood day riders always took kids around the track on their bikes during the interval and I remember collecting autographs in the pits as the riders were getting changed and dismantling their machinery and being in awe of my heroes...but good old H&S and all that!

H&S...the biggest load of bollox known to mankind...ruins everything. No common sense anymore...and it will only get worse, as these people have to think up new rules and reg's every day, just to keep their jobs. I love the way Europe always sticks two fingers up to it...but we as a nation follow subserviently....makes me sick.

I too used to hang out in the pits...even cutting tyres for the likes of Nigel Boocock as a kid...can you imagine that nowadays.

Even if speedway was more accessible to the public to get started in, I can't imagine many kids taking it up like they used too...all gone too soft.

Too dangerous. Kids are wrapped in cotton wool these days. I fear for this country...

• Like 2

H&S...the biggest load of bollox known to mankind...ruins everything. No common sense anymore...and it will only get worse, as these people have to think up new rules and reg's every day, just to keep their jobs. I love the way Europe always sticks two fingers up to it...but we as a nation follow subserviently....makes me sick.

I too used to hang out in the pits...even cutting tyres for the likes of Nigel Boocock as a kid...can you imagine that nowadays.

Even if speedway was more accessible to the public to get started in, I can't imagine many kids taking it up like they used too...all gone too soft.

Too dangerous. Kids are wrapped in cotton wool these days. I fear for this country...

Small point but I used to think that parades when riders didn't wear helmets after the introductions were made somehow made them more human as they encircled the track carrying out practice starts etc.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

Small point but I used to think that parades when riders didn't wear helmets after the introductions were made somehow made them more human as they encircled the track carrying out practice starts etc.

this really spoiled to beginning of meetings for me - who the hell insisted on it and can they be disobeyed. Common sense ffs

• Like 1

Hate to bang on about Isle of Wight again but check their face book page and 'my first skid'.

And, by the way, they also have sponsorship from a local radio station.

Things needed to change from when I was younger (I am 51) but its all got ridiculously out of hand.

Guards on machinery is one thing, stopping kids playing conkers is very much another.

• Like 4

Hate to bang on about Isle of Wight again but check their face book page and 'my first skid'.

And, by the way, they also have sponsorship from a local radio station.

Things needed to change from when I was younger (I am 51) but its all got ridiculously out of hand.

Guards on machinery is one thing, stopping kids playing conkers is very much another.

...or the story I read recently that a headmaster was considering banning children from running around in the playground in case they fell over and hurt themselves!

The primary culprits for all this are the so called claims management companies/

Although, it goes against the grain, I have to admit this is one of the few good things that happened at Stoke.

The riders would have a couple of minutes blast round without their helmets on with a bit of hand waving thrown in.

It was probably more dramatic at Stoke because they only turned any lights on a couple of minutes before the start and then suddenly there was this explosion of noise and light! If they had played some suitable music and whooped the "crowd" up a bit, it would probably have been the high point of the evening. But they didn't, so it wasn't.

Speedway needs to be a bit more edgy.

Ann Widdecombe once said of Michael Howard that he had, "Something of the Night" about him".

I think speedway needs to create this aura of being dangerous and dirty whilst at the same time being professional and well-organized.

After my first visit to the NSS, I expressed the opinion that it was too sanitized and promptly got myself shot down in flames.

If people want to watch sanitized, politically-correct sport then perhaps they should try Formula 1 or top level football.

• Like 1

Although, it goes against the grain, I have to admit this is one of the few good things that happened at Stoke.

The riders would have a couple of minutes blast round without their helmets on with a bit of hand waving thrown in.

It was probably more dramatic at Stoke because they only turned any lights on a couple of minutes before the start and then suddenly there was this explosion of noise and light! If they had played some suitable music and whooped the "crowd" up a bit, it would probably have been the high point of the evening. But they didn't, so it wasn't.

Speedway needs to be a bit more edgy.

Ann Widdecombe once said of Michael Howard that he had, "Something of the Night" about him".

I think speedway needs to create this aura of being dangerous and dirty whilst at the same time being professional and well-organized.

After my first visit to the NSS, I expressed the opinion that it was too sanitized and promptly got myself shot down in flames.

If people want to watch sanitized, politically-correct sport then perhaps they should try Formula 1 or top level football.

...or getting sprayed with shale (my brother used to collect it and store it in those 'tic-tac' mint boxes - he built up quite a collection too!). The sport was dirty but it used to thrill me as youngster trying to avoid the shale at tracks like Eastbourne and Newport!

• Like 1

...or getting sprayed with shale (my brother used to collect it and store it in those 'tic-tac' mint boxes - he built up quite a collection too!). The sport was dirty but it used to thrill me as youngster trying to avoid the shale at tracks like Eastbourne and Newport!

We used to take a newbie and stand right up against the fence (you could in those days) and when the riders came by we would duck, the newbie didn't know to do that. I suppose it was a sort of initiation. A full tic-tac box would be worth money at some of today's rather bald tracks.

• Like 2