British Speedway Forum
Garry1603

Rip Russ Hodgson

Sadly, it has been reported on Facebook by Dave Morton that former Belle Vue, Sunderland and Middlesbrough rider Russ Hodgson has sadly passed away.

Russ was, by his own admission, never a top rider but his enthusiasm and happy nature made him a big part of the Aces team in the mid 70s. After he retired he had a salvage business in the West Indies and his boat appeared in Pirates of the Caribbean!

Condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by Garry1603
  • Like 2

Sad news indeed.

RIP

Very sad to hear. I remember Russ at Sunderland.

Condolences to his Family and friends.

R.I.P. +

Very sad news.

Russ was the first rider I ever met properly, in 1978, when he came into my Dad's shop to order a cover for his yacht. He even offered to meet me at Poole ("not a bad track but too narrow") when I was next there and take me to the pits. He also gave me signed photos of him and his father Frank both of which I still have. An all round nice guy who even then was still thrilled that he'd ridden for Belle Vue.

R.I.P Russ.

Edited by Sotonian
  • Like 1

From memory, I may be wrong, but Russ had scored a reserve (3 ride) maximum against Hackney in May, 1977, and then injured in the second half, which wrote his season off. His first match back, the start of March 1978, he fell, injured again, and called it a day as his knock would have seen another lengthy lay-off.

In 1977 he was the Belle Vue rider that local brewery Wilsons used on billboard throughout the region. Wish I could have swiped one of those back in the day but had no ladders. Anyway, am scared of heights!

Another memory was at Halifax in 1976, when Russ had a bad fall and was in a bad way for a while, out on the track. I may agiain be wrong, but I seem to recall there was no ambulance at the Shay that night.

Sad to see another of my schoolboy heroes leave the track.

Edited by moxey63

Russ was my favourite rider as a kid, met him a couple of times on the way home from away meetings, a really nice bloke, I've often said he was the best reserve Belle Vue ever had, sad to hear this news, RIP Russ and thanks for the memories.

Very sad news re the death of Russ Hodgson. I am certain that he came from the Hodgson family who rode speedway pre- and post-war - Frank Hodgson and Jack Hodgson. If Russ was related to the two other riders - whose son was he?

Very sad news re the death of Russ Hodgson. I am certain that he came from the Hodgson family who rode speedway pre- and post-war - Frank Hodgson and Jack Hodgson. If Russ was related to the two other riders - whose son was he?

See post #4

Very sad news.

Russ was the first rider I ever met properly, in 1978, when he came into my Dad's shop to order a cover for his yacht. He even offered to meet me at Poole ("not a bad track but too narrow") when I was next there and take me to the pits. He also gave me signed photos of him and his father Frank both of which I still have. An all round nice guy who even then was still thrilled that he'd ridden for Belle Vue.

R.I.P Russ.

See post #4

Thank you Sotonian. I see it was Frank Hodgson. He was one of 'my favourites' when I first started following speedway. Frank was the first post-war captain of the Middlesbrough team and a very accomplished rider, as was his brother Jack.

Edited by Guest