British Speedway Forum
daveallan81

They Came, They Saw, They Conquered, They Never Came Back

Word was the cause of the '0' was very much self-inflicted....allegedly

Is it only official matches ? Pretty sure Freddie Lindgren went through the card at James Grieves' testimonial about 5 years ago , cant ever remember him gracing the Ashfield shale on any other occasion .

Did Toni kasper get a paid maximum on his first appearance at the Abbey.???

...not sure but I seem to recall that Roman Jankowski (Hackney) got a paid maximum on his first (?) visit to Swindon!

...not sure but I seem to recall that Roman Jankowski (Hackney) got a paid maximum on his first (?) visit to Swindon!

Jankowski certainly did "Steve and Sigalos got a 15 point max from reserve at the Abbey on his first visit never beat Kilby though.?

Jankowski certainly did "Steve and Sigalos got a 15 point max from reserve at the Abbey on his first visit never beat Kilby though.?

Hi Sid! I was there on both occasions and I do recall being at Swindon when the late Toni Kasper (as you refer) rode very well but can't remember the number of points he scored...great days!

Do you recall the occasion when Gordon Kennett scored a 21 point maximum and Kai Niemi scored 19 whilst riding for Eastbourne...and still finished on the losing side!

Hi Sid! I was there on both occasions and I do recall being at Swindon when the late Toni Kasper (as you refer) rode very well but can't remember the number of points he scored...great days!

Do you recall the occasion when Gordon Kennett scored a 21 point maximum and Kai Niemi scored 19 whilst riding for Eastbourne...and still finished on the losing side!

Yes i remember pretty well Kennett i really believed we should of signed him , at the Abbey he was one of the best visiting riders of the early eighties. We signed Bastable fair anough he did become BC but the rumours over those couple of years was we could of signed Kennett/Lee .Steve do you remember Collins/Morton scoring loads at the Abbey just like Kennett/Niemi i think Belle Vue had R/R for a overated false averaged Derek Richardson PC /Mort both took seven rides each i think.?

Yes i remember pretty well Kennett i really believed we should of signed him , at the Abbey he was one of the best visiting riders of the early eighties. We signed Bastable fair anough he did become BC but the rumours over those couple of years was we could of signed Kennett/Lee .Steve do you remember Collins/Morton scoring loads at the Abbey just like Kennett/Niemi i think Belle Vue had R/R for a overated false averaged Derek Richardson PC /Mort both took seven rides each i think.?

Personally I felt that Gordon made a mistake by moving back to Eastbourne after the closure of White City. Should have moved to Swindon! I seem to recall the Collins/Morton effort...used to go to Swindon often in those days. Had the best of both worlds speedway wise. Oxford in the National League and White City/Swindon in the British League!

Speedway in the early eighties was terrific for me weekly meetings at Reading,Oxford,Swindon.Some weeks doing five meetings a week a great time.Also visiting some great tracks Belle Vue,Sheffield,Halifax,Exeter,Hackney,King's Lynn,Leicester loved every minute of it.

• Like 1

Speedway in the early eighties was terrific for me weekly meetings at Reading,Oxford,Swindon.Some weeks doing five meetings a week a great time.Also visiting some great tracks Belle Vue,Sheffield,Halifax,Exeter,Hackney,King's Lynn,Leicester loved every minute of it.

Super days for me during the late seventies. White City on the Wednesday, Oxford Thursday, Swindon Saturday and occasionally Eastbourne on a Sunday with the occasionally other track thrown in!

Not that I was there. but I remember that! Final score was 62-46, and the pair of them scored 40 out of 46!

Steve

• Like 1

Eastbourne in a 5/6 year period to be quite honest had a few very poor imports.Slabon,Ring,Davidsson,Klingberg, Hammerberg, Johansson, Ericksson,Columbo,Tuorniemi,Tryvainen to name a few.Saying that they were always a very good home side and Kennett,Preston,Kelly,Schwartz,Woods,(one of my favourite English riders we're my favourie Eastie riders Dugard and Buck in the NL.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Eastbourne in a 5/6 year period to be quite honest had a few very poor imports.Slabon,Ring,Davidsson,Klingberg, Hammerberg, Johansson, Ericksson,Columbo,Tuorniemi,Tryvainen to name a few.Saying that they were always a very good home side and Kennett,Preston,Kelly,Schwartz,Woods,(one of my favourite English riders we're my favourie Eastie riders Dugard and Buck in the NL.

Blimey Sid! Some names from the past there! I do recall a Johansson (Lillebror ?) doing well at Swindon when riding for 'The Eagles' in 1982 and Eastbourne winning handsomely! Can't remember the first name of Davidsson but recall that he was the brother of Eddie who failed miserably at Oxford in 1975!

PS Just remembered...It was Jan!

Edited by steve roberts

Blimey Sid! Some names from the past there! I do recall a Johansson (Lillebror ?) doing well at Swindon when riding for 'The Eagles' in 1982 and Eastbourne winning handsomely! Can't remember the first name of Davidsson but recall that he was the brother of Eddie who failed miserably at Oxford in 1975!

PS Just remembered...It was Jan!

Klingberg i remember was highly rated but struggled that really surprised me never liked Arlington much remember that bloody noisey Claxon.😆

Klingberg i remember was highly rated but struggled that really surprised me never liked Arlington much remember that bloody noisey Claxon.

Bjorn Klingberg suffered from home sickness if I remember and didn't last very long at Arlington. Have a feeling that he represented Sweden in either the World Team Cup or World Pairs on one occasion so came highly rated.

I first went to Eastbourne in the days of Malcolm Ballard, Gordon Kennett, Bobby McNeil and Roger Johns amongst many other talented riders who either rode in the team or the long lamented, in my opinion, second halves.