British Speedway Forum
SarahLapworth

British Speedway - Dead Or Alive?

I'd say that Belle Vue probably made in the region of £100k ticket receipts from that one play off meeting and, if their break even was 1,500 and there were 4,000 there (which I think is about right), at £25 a ticket that's over £60,000 in clear profit from just one meeting.

If Wolverhampton were the same, that £120k from two meetings. That doesn't take into account the semi finals or the PL or NL meetings or the significant reduction in the number of loss making dead meetings after a league title is won.

Shall we say £200k in additional revenue across the board ? Ditch the play offs and you would deprive an unquestionably cash strapped, loss making sport of that income and at £20 a go, it would take 10,000 additional entries to make it up or 500 TWK and Barney Rabbits going 20 times a year.

As to newbies, Belle Vue had a fair few of them on play off night attracted by the nature of the one off, sudden death final.

There's a reason why the NL reverted to play offs after just one season and why they are common place in other sports.

Its a reason that, whatever we might think about them, speedway simply cannot ignore and I find it very difficult to believe that it would be in a better place financially without them.

The point I was making is that nobody that attends (League) speedway today does so because of the play-off carrot, they go for their love of four blokes on bikes so would most likely still be going if speedway was being run as it was back then and the sport would not have lost many of those that have packed up because of the constant tinkering.

The whys and wherefores of the play-offs have been done to death on countless other threads and Belle Vue made some cash out of them but I often wonder how much is lost on the way by people not attending many of the qualifying matches.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 1

I agree that the racing at Scunthorpe is generally really, really good... Always passing, and rides well, even in the wet, and they always make a really good effort to get meetings on in inclement weather... The foods ok, and the prices are reasonable, but not much in the luxury seating/indoor viewing.....

BUT......

Why don't they get the crowd levels you should expect from a track that produces top notch racing???

It should be packed to the rafters if attendance is based around good racing. But they struggle with attendances.... WHY???

To me, its not so much about cost as value for money (to be fair, you do raise that).

Halifax Town is £16 entry, Leeds United £25 or so. In cost terms, speedway is comparable.

I paid £25 for my ticket for the EL Grand Final at NSS last season and, like me, I doubt if there was anyone who didn't think he got his money's worth. Aside from the lack of a true grandstand finish, it had everything - fantastic atmosphere, a pantomime villain, two totally committed teams and some stunning racing on a world class track.

The 4's weekend at Peterborough cost £30-£40 (I forget precisely how much). Again, no-one was complaining about the cost because it was just fantastic.

Finally, I regularly attend Scunthorpe. Like many, that's for the quality of the speedway because I don't think I came away once feeling short changed and, on several occasions, dazed at just how amazing it had been. Workington and Isle of Wight are two other places that came under that heading - Isle of Wight more for the overall experience, it must be said.

And therein lies the problem because, as a well travelled fan with 80 meetings under his belt last year, I couldn't say that about every one. Indeed, it would be more often than not that the opposite would be true and I firmly believe that there is simply not enough effort made to ensure the fan gets what he wants by putting him first (and last) every single time.

Take Sheffield. Owlerton is rightly acknowledged as a very fine racing circuit but over the last couple of years it has been rubbish, with good races rare and good meetings almost non existent. That's apparently because the track was stripped bare at the behest of the riders and/or the management. Sheffield had a decent team last year and reached the PL play off final. Gates should have been up, but I doubt that they were because the speedway was awful. That just has to change, not just there but at a lot of other places too.

I don't - or at least I think he has a point.

For a start, there's no difference between tactical rides and tactical substitutes apart from the fact that the latter cost a lot more.

Even their worst knockers would accept that play off meetings attract bigger gates - the NSS was packed for the EL Final last season. That's something speedway just can't turn down and, indeed, could be the difference between financial success or failure for some teams.

Like it or not, speedway just isn't in a position to turn that down.

The best, most balanced post I have read yet on the state of British speedway

I agree that the racing at Scunthorpe is generally really, really good... Always passing, and rides well, even in the wet, and they always make a really good effort to get meetings on in inclement weather... The foods ok, and the prices are reasonable, but not much in the luxury seating/indoor viewing.....

BUT......

Why don't they get the crowd levels you should expect from a track that produces top notch racing???

It should be packed to the rafters if attendance is based around good racing. But they struggle with attendances.... WHY???

I'm from scunthorpe and would like to add the lack of a winning team keeps many locals away the product it's self is very good if you view every meeting as a neutral as I do win or loose as long as I'm entertained not to concerned by the result. However the town has an attitude of if they ain't winning I'm not going and this follows the same pattern with the football club.

• Like 1

I'm from scunthorpe and would like to add the lack of a winning team keeps many locals away the product it's self is very good if you view every meeting as a neutral as I do win or loose as long as I'm entertained not to concerned by the result. However the town has an attitude of if they ain't winning I'm not going and this follows the same pattern with the football club.

I was going to post but you have done it for me :approve:

The only comment is Scunthorpe is anything but alone in that.

The point I was making is that nobody that attends (League) speedway today does so because of the play-off carrot, they go for their love of four blokes on bikes so would most likely still be going if speedway was being run as it was back then and the sport would not have lost many of those that have packed up because of the constant tinkering.

The whys and wherefores of the play-offs have been done to death on countless other threads and Belle Vue made some cash out of them but I often wonder how much is lost on the way by people not attending many of the qualifying matches.

That hasn't changed. Its still 4 blokes on bikes without brakes.

Seems to me that they didn't love it that much.

Every single 'qualifying' league match is as important as in a league winner situation. In fact, more of them are.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Yes, it is. It certainly isn't in Rugby League, for example.

I might suggest that for a Championship club gaining entry to the riches of the FA Premiership via a play off system far, far outweighs winning that league.

But that misses the point. Speedway can have the play offs and £200k additional income or it can have league winners and lose out on that.

Are you really willing to deprive the cash strapped, loss making sport we love of that money ?

................ and if the price is the Sport's Credibility?

As Vincent Blackshadow has pointed out - how many people stopped going due to the irrelevance of Meetings later in the Season, or got tired of the whole idea of the various League Championship Meetings being totally irrelevant, for that is what they are - totally irrelevant. Far better Bill them as a Cup Competition. That would, at least, be more honest.

That very statement re-enforces my view that Double Points and Tactical Substitutes are just contrivances. Do away with them and you will get more Home wins, and, Home Promoters, Riders and Supporters go home happy. More importantly, the Supporters will come back the following week to follow a winning Team. There will still be Away wins - but not as many.

This would be much fairer for both Home and Away Supporters. It might also encourage wavering Supporters to stay with the Sport.

Not a fan of double points rides or giving someone 7 rides however don't think in Scunthorpe's case last year that any of last seasons losses were due to these rules. It was more a case of the better side won on day and in general even the heavier home defeats were full of good racing which is all we want to see.

Do feel though tracks should be prepared so they can be raced and not just ridden no setting them up for a huge home advantage where the visiting team is searching for the dreaded setups for the first 10 heats its usually game over by then.

Think scunthorpe is a good example plenty of dirt and racing lines grip is usually pretty even through a meeting and as the dirt moves out those who want to chase it can, those who don't can be just as quick on the slicker inside line.

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 1

As Vincent Blackshadow has pointed out - how many people stopped going due to the irrelevance of Meetings later in the Season, or got tired of the whole idea of the various League Championship Meetings being totally irrelevant, for that is what they are - totally irrelevant. Far better Bill them as a Cup Competition. That would, at least, be more honest.

Surely if it was the case that at the end the total crowd figures were noticeably down on the previous seasons without playoffs then they would be scrapped double quick?No sport just keeps playoffs because of the fun of it.By keeping them there must be a feeling it is better than what went before

That very statement re-enforces my view that Double Points and Tactical Substitutes are just contrivances. Do away with them and you will get more Home wins, and, Home Promoters, Riders and Supporters go home happy. More importantly, the Supporters will come back the following week to follow a winning Team. There will still be Away wins - but not as many.

This would be much fairer for both Home and Away Supporters. It might also encourage wavering Supporters to stay with the Sport.

I really do not know how it can be stated that the meetings throughout the season are 'irrelevant' when almost every single one counts towards getting into a play off position and there are unquestionably far more dead rubbers at the end of the year under a league winner system.

There's no question that tactical changes are a contrivance - not so much to ensure away wins, but to make meetings more interesting. The very fact that speedway has had them for 50 years must say something about why they are felt to be necessary.

I will say, though, that watching NL speedway last year I did not miss them.

It seems to me of those who are critical of tactical changes most have an issue with tactical rides but are happy with tactical substitutes. They entirely miss the point that the latter affect scores more and could cost thousands of pounds more to a sport that most certainly does not need that.

• Like 1

That's your opinion others think differently

Very probably beyond the comprehension of a twonk like you

:icon_smile_clown:

My thinking of things is whoever wins the league are champions.The other three join up have a interest and also the team who wins the league can get the double.A proper league winner going into a cup competition would that not be good i think it could ŵork.

• Like 1

Surely if it was the case that at the end the total crowd figures were noticeably down on the previous seasons without playoffs then they would be scrapped double quick?No sport just keeps playoffs because of the fun of it.By keeping them there must be a feeling it is better than what went before

There may be a feeling.................

.................................... but it doesn't feel that way to me, and, I suspect a lot of others.

There may be a feeling.................

.................................... but it doesn't feel that way to me, and, I suspect a lot of others.

But then again,you don't add up the figures and have to pay the bills,so i guess have less idea of the results than those that do

But then again,you don't add up the figures and have to pay the bills,so i guess have less idea of the results than those that do

I admit that you could be right about that.

I just don't think you are.

i've never agreed with your view to remove all tactical rides TWK but that is a good point - home wins are generally good for business

however you're wasting your breath about play offs - far too lucrative to give up now - I'd prefer league champions and play offs winners given another title

Edited by ch958
  • Like 1