British Speedway Forum
SarahLapworth

British Speedway - Dead Or Alive?

Aaaahhhhh yes - the usual mantra.

What does knowing the Rules beforehand have to do with Sportsmanship or Fair Play? Answer - absolutely nothing.

Fair Play and Sportsmanship is the way, the spirit in which the Game is played/run. Perhaps once you understand that you will cease from trotting out the same tired and hackneyed old mantra again and again.

Unless, of course, you condone the League Champions not being the League Champions. To me that is neither Sporting nor Fair Play.

For goodness sake read my Posts - I have never, ever Posted that. If you are going to pull me up for something at least make sure of your facts. I defy you to find anywhere I have said that.

I have said that I would prefer Speedway without either the Tactical Ride or the Tactical Substitute. I would get rid of both as I have constantly said.

To your final point - it doesn't make it right though - no matter how many Sports do it.

You've been asked outright if you would return to speedway if they got rid of double points and returned to the old tac subs and answered that you would. I'm not going to dig through to find it but can assure you you did.

I agree that you have consistently stated that you would prefer neither to be in place.

Perhas the fact that all those other sports use play offs indicate commercial realities, which would also indicate that it is what fans want. I agree that mass appeal does not neccesarily correlate to "fairness."

Lol and you don't churn out the same stuff on this subject all the time ?the irony ....no one is league champions because they come top of the league as the rules that everyone knows before say so .so knowing the rules before hand has everything to do with sportsmanship and fair play as like any other sport or game sticking to rules is a massive part of that ...so to sum it up people who stick to the rules have no fair play or sportsmanship ? :rofl::rofl:

You said it on here about 20 times ...everyone knows that

Do you ever actually read your Posts before Posting them? If you did you may Post something that folk can understand.

Regarding the highlighted part of your Post - obviously wkha1 didn't or he would not have Posted as he did.

• Like 1

Lol ..he already posted that hes not going to trawl into yours posts to find when you said that ..thou i reckon its about 20. Even by your double standards its a poor lie .

Taking into account the fragile situation regarding teams stadiums and supporters in the premier league I really do hope speedway can survive. There has been a lot of talk about new idea's and changes to put the sport on a firmer footing but as yet it's still only a makeover. I definintely think individuals and organisations are sitting on their hands and hoping that everything will work out. Seriously unless something radical is done I very much fear for the future. The 'normal' fan is just not coming through the turnstiles and we have to find a a way to attract him and her to watch the sport as without revenue the sport will not be viable. It was revived in the 60's and I'm sure it can be done again but it has to be something different from the norm.

Edited by Pieman72

Too much to do in modern life, too little time, not enough cash. Speedway, a lot because of the way it's run and what you gain for your turnstile cash, it's slipped down the pecking order, like so many other things. Video killed the radio star, DVD did for the VHS.... Technology waits for no man, and speedway just seems a little dated.

Edited by moxey63

Three things in this weeks speedway star make me even more concerned for the health of speedway as a whole . 1) The in depth article about the resurgence of Glasgow under the Facenna brothers. We probably all applaud them ( as I do ) and wish that there were more promoters like them ( i.e. with huge resources and belief in the sport ). However they are aiming for a regular crowd pf around 1,200 this year ( and ultimately around 2,000 ). That figure of 1,200 is even after putting in a multi million pound investment. And in a major UK city with a 1,00,000 plus catchment area. That tells you a lot about the realistic hopes inside speedway even for those with money to put where their mouth is ( i.e. 1% perhaps 2% of the potential ),

2) If we believe all that we read in the 2016 Leicester Lions review ( and I do ) it is a terrible tale of the other kind of promoter. Worst of all in that that it is quite possible that some riders are still unpaid for 2016 and maybe even 2015. Horrific! I applaud them for riding week after week in those circumstances. And that is after the initial saviour for 2017 was paraded larger than life in the SS a month ago, who assured us all publicly that all debts to riders ,would be cleared. He is now a minority interest in the Lions latest incarnation - but - have those riders been fully paid and will they ever be?

3) In passing one of the more recent legends, forced from the sport by awful injuries says that he hopes in the long run that he sport keeps going. Me too Darcy!

But the underlying stability of too many clubs is precarious to say the least and if clubs are desperate to average 1,000 or so every week ( even after spending hugely which few other clubs are never going to be able to copy ) their economic stability in the long term must be in doubt. The arguments over which engine etc etc will lower overall costs are not at all important if we can't attract 25% ( at least ) more regular fans than currently watch speedway.

• Like 2

What?! No mention of the MF article on page 2!!!!!!

Massey Ferguson? :unsure:

• Like 1

Massey Ferguson? :unsure:

Are they doing a 'BOGOF'? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

Perhaps the BSPA have done a deal for new Tractors for all Tracks.................. :D :D

• Like 1

Matt Ford is the cryptic reference. I made no mention of his decision (?) to ease down his interest in speedway because I feel that the other points I made dwarfed the loss of someone who has hugely contributed to boosting speedway in his area at least and by building teams which have dominated the sport so far this century. I suspect that his announcement about partially withdrawing - in some way- is about how he does not like the direction the sport is currently heading in. Nor do i!

• Like 1

Matt Ford is the cryptic reference. I made no mention of his decision (?) to ease down his interest in speedway because I feel that the other points I made dwarfed the loss of someone who has hugely contributed to boosting speedway in his area at least and by building teams which have dominated the sport so far this century. I suspect that his announcement about partially withdrawing - in some way- is about how he does not like the direction the sport is currently heading in. Nor do i!

Cheers for that waytogo28.

We were just having a bit of fun with the letters MF. :t::)

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

..........waytogo28........ I suspect that his announcement about partially withdrawing - in some way- is about how he does not like the direction the sport is currently heading in.

That's exactly how Avtar Sandhu felt in 2010.

• Like 1

Indeed it is Gemini. And that is what concerns me about how speedway is run ( has been run for the last 15 years or so ). The "outside" people who we needed as positive sources of ideas that might contribute to positive change have been edged out / pushed out and in some cases taken a long look at themselves and their chances of dragging the BSPA forward. And taken their own choice to walk away. If those two prospective promoters at BV for 2017 fail to complete the deal ( perhaps because it makes running BV even more difficult ) we will be in even more of a pickle!

• Like 1