British Speedway Forum
Nobblytriers

Uncertainty Over Teams And Sky Tv

"Maybe no British league speedway, but BT do the GP's (as well as Moto Gps)

Problem last 12 months has been Sky do British league, Eurosport doing Euros, and BT doing the World GP's

To get all you had to pay into at least 2 of them, the cost to many is a breaker."

I agree OveFundinFan. My solution was to have BT Infinity Broadband, so I get BT Sport 1 for free and Eurosport for free. I then bought myself an Amazon Firestick preloaded with Kodi, and watch Skysport and hundreds of other channels and films for the one off cost of the Firestick. It works pretty well for me, as I have a fast 52 Meg download speed, and like you I couldn't justify the cost of paying for Sky Sport, for the odd occasion I watched Speedway. Sky do Now TV which I have tried for a 24 hour sport pass, but that was £6-99 last year. I used it before getting the Kodi and it worked fine, but once again more expense for an old age pensioner!

Bye the way, I was having lunch with Ove Fundin at the World Speedway Riders Dinner in Norwich last October, what a lovely guy he is, and looking so well for his age.

So basically you're a thief.

Leicester, Swindon and Belle Vue are declared to run.

and Coventry are Declared they were at the AGM they had a vote on all matters IF they don't run the financial implications to Horton will be very severe Edited by Argos

So basically you're a thief.

along with many other users of the tec thats around these days .

i say , dont knock it until you have tried it . everyone needs a perk in life to perk up their life . no ones law abiding these days . its a sign of the times .

as long as you have got good broadband speed , you can get anything on tv you want ( so i have been told ) its like a loop hole in the law . ARTICLE 50 SPRINGS TO MIND !

we voted to get out, but now our votes dont mean jack .........

i say , dont knock it until you have tried it . everyone needs a perk in life to perk up their life . no ones law abiding these days . its a sign of the times .

Middlo, is that you?
  • Like 2

I agree OveFundinFan. My solution was to have BT Infinity Broadband, so I get BT Sport 1 for free and Eurosport for free. I then bought myself an Amazon Firestick preloaded with Kodi, and watch Skysport and hundreds of other channels and films for the one off cost of the Firestick. It works pretty well for me, as I have a fast 52 Meg download speed, and like you I couldn't justify the cost of paying for Sky Sport, for the odd occasion I watched Speedway. Sky do Now TV which I have tried for a 24 hour sport pass, but that was £6-99 last year. I used it before getting the Kodi and it worked fine, but once again more expense for an old age pensioner!

Bye the way, I was having lunch with Ove Fundin at the World Speedway Riders Dinner in Norwich last October, what a lovely guy he is, and looking so well for his age..

Presumably you have BT TV package - is it any good?? and broadband reliable??

Sky coverage of the Premier League up until now has been very good.

The problem, to me, is they don't share the Meetings around as well as they might.

Just my opinion.

along with many other users of the tec thats around these days .

as long as you have got good broadband speed , you can get anything on tv you want ( so i have been told ) its like a loop hole in the law . ARTICLE 50 SPRINGS TO MIND !

we voted to get out, but now our votes dont mean jack .........

I recall the days of VHS when I recorded many films from the TV and stored them...which apparently was illegal (the law stated that you had to wipe them after a number of days/weeks). I remember a policeman friend (?) who once saw my collection and stated that I was breaking the law but it was impossible to monitor/legislate and a blind eye was often turned to the practice.

I seem to recall that Bob Monkhouse had to go to court regarding his vast collection of movies which he had on film but common sense prevailed and they were saved for prosperity.

Edited by steve roberts

Like Ove Fundin Fan I have BT Infinity with the TV package and I have to say its 9/10 for use and is a cheaper option than Sky if you can get Infinity in your area. I also bought a "box" online ( a one off purchase ) and that gets me all the Sky channels inc Sky sports. That is however not so stable and I would rate it as 6/10 but viewable and enjoyable.

If you wish to watch sky sports legally without having to have a sky TV package or BT one, simply download the sky sports app for your phone and pay £10 per month for the full package. To watch it on your big screen TV simply buy a £30 Chromecast device and hey presto!

Edited by jchapman

If you wish to watch sky sports legally without having to have a sky TV package or BT one, simply download the sky sports app for your phone and pay £10 per month for the full package. To watch it on your big screen TV simply buy a £30 Chromecast device and hey presto!

Didn't think Sky could be "cast" to a big tv by any of the "casting devices"

Edited by Shale Searcher

quite a few of us are of the opinion that the sport doesn't televise that well, although sky have done better than most. Plus its getting too embarrassing with ad hoc teams - when they show pl fixtures next year there'll be any amount of duplicate riders - hang on doesn't he ride for Belle Vue?

Televising has done nothing for attendances maybe its best sky pull out

One of the root causes of speedways demise is multi-team riders, no more club loyalty, I suppose the riders see/here what other pro sports people earn, and want a bit of that as well, only naturally, but, club speedway, especially in the UK does not generate enough money, or sponsors, so the only way is for riders to ride for 3, even 4 clubs, that equates to 4 salaries, which is their only option.... Unfortunately, this has destroyed rider/club/fan loyalty....

• Like 5

quite a few of us are of the opinion that the sport doesn't televise that well, although sky have done better than most. Plus its getting too embarrassing with ad hoc teams - when they show pl fixtures next year there'll be any amount of duplicate riders - hang on doesn't he ride for Belle Vue?

Televising has done nothing for attendances maybe its best sky pull out

I'd agree regarding attempting to televise speedway. I have a vast collection of DVDs and although enjoy watching them it does get frustrating when the cameraman tries to go all 'arty' and doesn't follow where the action is often just following the race leader...also I don't think that the race is best followed when filmed from the centre green.

I've never thought that televising the sport 'live' does it much favours (too much padding and over analysis...something most sports suffer with nowadays in my opinion) and what would be better would be an edited version shown later in the evening and that would perhaps encourage more people to go and watch rather than sit at home (I knew someone who would rather stay at home and view a match at Cowley rather than walk the half a mile to watch it live).

Has SKY improved the product? That's open to debate but what one thing is certain it hasn't raised the profile of the sport as regards attracting new punters and hasn't managed to attract a big sponsor which is something that is so important within sport nowadays.

Interesting that I was watching a meeting between Oxford and Wolves from 1992 only last night and they were discussing the falling attendances even back then.. although Oxford suffered less than most because of the competitive team that often took to the track just prior to that period.

Edited by steve roberts

One of the root causes of speedways demise is multi-team riders, no more club loyalty, I suppose the riders see/here what other pro sports people earn, and want a bit of that as well, only naturally, but, club speedway, especially in the UK does not generate enough money, or sponsors, so the only way is for riders to ride for 3, even 4 clubs, that equates to 4 salaries, which is their only option.... Unfortunately, this has destroyed rider/club/fan loyalty....

Spot on....

And it naturally brings with it the need for so many guest riders to replace those missing because they are 'elsewhere'...

Guest riders which then give the meeting (and therefore the competition as a whole) zero credibility.....

Tough to generate a crowd to attend a 'Team Sport' when the fans have little 'emotional loyalty' (and often no connection) to those representing them on track, in a competition which is ultimately meaningless due to being so contrived week in week out...

Edited by mikebv

I am firmly in the "it's so much better on TV" camp. I prefer the availability of the replay and the opportunity to listen to ( and sometimes disregard) the experts opinion. Sky have done a remarkable job and the GP coverage is fantastic. They make the product appear much better than it is in real life and when you get to the stadium it is all a bit too flat and empty. And it often comes across as amateurish in the stadium and is very stop start with any building excitement washed away by empty delays and the interval - all too often. The fact that all those years of Live TV not getting a major sponsor is not the fault of TV but of the BSPA, who quite simple failed to use the platform well OR did they sit back and think " all that lovely money, we don't need to bother much about finding more". Poorly managed over the last 20 years ( at least ) too much vested interest and concern only about "my little bit is going OK". Most of the Sky money should have gone on marketing and not for paying No.1's huge fees because those Big Stars have not put new bums on seats.

• Like 1