British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Four Groups 1/5 What Are Your Order.?

I went through four groups the other day,and how tough was this to do.I did the 50s,60s,70s,80s.I hope most would agree with the riders entered here goes.(50s)-Fundin,Moore,Briggs,Young,,Craven.(60s)-Fundin,Mauger,Briggs,Knutsson,Craven.(70s)-Olsen,Collins,Mauger,Lee,Michanek. (80s)- Nielsen,Penhall,Gundersen,Lee,Carter.i expect some flak but it will be great to hear all of your opinions.😅all placed in my dubious order.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I went through four groups the other day,and how tough was this to do.I did the 50s,60s,70s,80s.I hope most would agree with the riders entered here goes.(50s)-Fundin,Moore,Briggs,Young,,Craven.(60s)-Fundin,Mauger,Briggs,Knutsson,Craven.(70s)-Olsen,Collins,Mauger,Lee,Michanek. (80s)- Nielsen,Penhall,Gundersen,Lee,Carter.i expect some flak but it will be great to hear all of your opinions.all placed in my dubious order.

I'd have to go along with that Sid!

I'd have to go along with that Sid!

Cant believe that Steve to be honest🤔 i felt Moore could of been top of the 50s he was that good .But god how many titles could Ove have won ? 6 or 7? the 80s is a difficult one because of Lee and Carter not having longevity along side there name. Edited by Sidney the robin

Cant believe that Steve to be honest i felt Moore could of been top of the 50s he was that good .But god how many titles could Ove have won ? 6 or 7? the 80s is a difficult one because of Lee and Carter not having longevity along side there name.

To be honest Sid I couldn't, or wish to try, listing them 1-5 in order only that I agree with the five chosen by you for each decade.

Ivan Mauger will always get my vote as the best ever rider and I feel that history would justify that.

To be honest Sid I couldn't, or wish to try, listing them 1-5 in order only that I agree with the five chosen by you for each decade.

Ivan Mauger will always get my vote as the best ever rider and I feel that history would justify that.

Dont agree with that

at all,Steve?He was a great rider and he would always be near the top a great rider but for me he was not the best.

Dont agree with that

at all,Steve?He was a great rider and he would always be near the top a great rider but for me he was not the best.

I look at Ivan, not only in World Championship wins, but how he transformed the teams that he rode for by turning them into relatively mediocre teams into championship ones...okay just missed out at Hull but the fault lay with certain other individuals. He had a great team ethic and his overall stamp on speedway during the sixties and seventies wins my vote. He was the complete package and won thru' with sincere dedication and hard work. He would admit himself that he wasn't the most talented of riders but he worked at his technique and gave up many things and thru' sheer self belief eventually got to the very top.

Got to agree, whenever he came to Cradley he seemed to have this invincibility about him that few others had. This was mid 70s as well when the standard of the top riders was incredible

• Like 1

I'd go along mostly with what you say, Sid, maybe a minor quibble here and there about placings - one up, one down. The only major difference I would have is over Mauger (see what I did there?) Definitely top in the 70s.

• Like 1

I went through four groups the other day,and how tough was this to do.I did the 50s,60s,70s,80s.I hope most would agree with the riders entered here goes.(50s)-Fundin,Moore,Briggs,Young,,Craven.(60s)-Fundin,Mauger,Briggs,Knutsson,Craven.(70s)-Olsen,Collins,Mauger,Lee,Michanek. (80s)- Nielsen,Penhall,Gundersen,Lee,Carter.i expect some flak but it will be great to hear all of your opinions.all placed in my dubious order.

Super Post Sid.

I don't think I could argue with your choice at all.

Flak? Not from me mate. :t::approve: :approve:

I'd go along mostly with what you say, Sid, maybe a minor quibble here and there about placings - one up, one down. The only major difference I would have is over Mauger (see what I did there?) Definitely top in the 70s.

Tell us "Norbold your opinion is much valued cant wait for your response is Freddie Williams, sometimes forgotten i am as guilty as anyone for that.

Was Michenek in the same league as Mauger,Olsen,Collins etc

His record in the 70s is comparable to pc imo. I'd rank him 4th best rider of the 70s behind those 3.

Was Michenek in the same league as Mauger,Olsen,Collins etc

In my opinion definitely yes. He had a tremendous 1973 season and was possibly favourite to lift the World Title that year. Certainly in the early seventies he was a major player and a rider difficult to beat but as Anders has always stated "There are other things in life than speedway" and didn't fully commit his life to 'going round in circles' as others of that period appeared to do.

Michanek could of won the title three times in 73 he was superb,74 he won it and in 75 after his third place behind the russian Trofimov he recovered well.

• Thanks 1

Tell us "Norbold your opinion is much valued cant wait for your response is Freddie Williams, sometimes forgotten i am as guilty as anyone for that.

No, I agree with your top five of the 1950s. Mick the Muppet is Fred Williams' great champion! I'm not sure about the order, definitely Fundin first and Craven fifth; as for the other three I think I might put them all second equal!!!