British Speedway Forum

2002 Wimbledon Revival And Other Happenings

Good bit of research there iris123. :t::approve::)

Re the Arsenal redevelopment, it was only the facades that were listed - i lived next to the ground during those days and it was odd seeing them demolish 99.9 of the stadium and literally left a ten foot wide outer skin of the east and west stands. Quite a bizarre sight.

Re the hoover building, still looks lovely from the outside as you pass it on the A40 - not so good round the other side...been a tesco for donkeys years.

• Like 1

Re the Arsenal redevelopment, it was only the facades that were listed - i lived next to the ground during those days and it was odd seeing them demolish 99.9 of the stadium and literally left a ten foot wide outer skin of the east and west stands. Quite a bizarre sight.

Re the hoover building, still looks lovely from the outside as you pass it on the A40 - not so good round the other side...been a tesco for donkeys years.

That takes me back days travelling pass the Hoover Building on Western Avenue on my way to White City! One of my favourite buildings as I do enjoy a bit of Art Deco.

• Like 1

All a false alarm and cleared up on another thread yesterday

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=74153&page=37

I forgot to mention when I made the quoted Post that this Link came to me via an email from Bob Andrews in New Zealand. Bob of course was a big favourite when he rode for the Dons. Intriguing perhaps that he should have found the comment in the first place so soon after the incident happened?

Not really sure of the relevance.Still a false alarm that was already explained yesterday.Maybe Bob didn't know that,but surely looking at the thread would have put matters to bed before posting old news?

You just will not give up! I did not see the item on the Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News thread simply because it is not one that I visit regularly. Until today, May 3, at 4.13pm, I had not been there since APRIL 4 at 10.15pm.

Maybe that's the reason I did not know about the fire until I heard from Bob Andrews. Can you manage to grasp that point?

Really John?Is that not one of the threads you have posted loads and i am not exagerating when i say loads of posts there as well as here?Not going to count them though.But when you visit a thread surely you notice what has been posted earlier just to make sure.Not as if there was much activity recently anyway until yesterday on there :icon_smile_clown:

You really do come out with some rot.you posted on both threads!!!!

• Like 1

Besides being a Wimbledon junior rider during the club's Conference League era from 2002-2005, Cecil Forbes was also the Wimbledon speedway's electrician.

11204469_126917800981084_888484596291104
The action photo of Cecil Forbes was taken at Wimbledon's 2002 pre-season practice. Below = Wimbledon Reunion March 12 2017. Cecil Forbes, left, and Mark 'Buzz' Burrows.
17264594_436065030066358_479719294058309
Edited by Guest

From the 2002 Conference League reopening. Rob Painter (??, left) and Cecil Forbes.

12509336_218912061781657_909984976244628
Edited by Guest

White city and wembley's twin towers were never listed, and they were Olympic stadiums. Plough lane has deteriorated so much in the last decade, it never stood a chance.

As i stated when this idea was announced,it was a no-goer.I was just surprised anyone thought there was ever a chance......

No chance of a Speedway Track being incorporated in to the proposed new Stadium I suppose?

No chance of a Speedway Track being incorporated in to the proposed new Stadium I suppose?

Zero % chance I'm afraid. 602 flats are incorporated in the site's rebuilding.

Speedway never really stood a chance - the other possible developer (which would have kept a dog track) was still going to involve a lesser amount of housing and had no plans to involve motor sport.

The money boys won.