British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

Can't believe that people believe that Sky dropping speedway is all about cutbacks . Sky get speedway for a pittance compared to other sports.

Sky dropping speedway has more to do with the state of the sport than anything else.

BT taking over may be ok but as with the GP and Champions League football, less people will be watching.

Or is more about meeting production costs which always look to be pretty high to me?

I would now get rid of SKY but my family like the footy and F1 on SKYgo and I'm sure there are channels that the non footy/non F1 fans watch that aren't on flipping freeview ..... oh well keep paying the £60+ a month!

Can't believe that people believe that Sky dropping speedway is all about cutbacks . Sky get speedway for a pittance compared to other sports.

Sky dropping speedway has more to do with the state of the sport than anything else.

BT taking over may be ok but as with the GP and Champions League football, less people will be watching.

You need to read flagrag's post #67.

Very true.

Sky pay over £10 million to the Premier League for every football game they broadcast live.

SKy overpaid for the Premiership, by a HUGE margin and they are cutting back left right and centre. They look for everything (including non sports channels) to subsidise it. It's shocking. Their football (particularly non EPL coverage) looks like it's done on a shoestring. And David Haye vs Tony Bellew this saturday incredibly is a PPV - extra £17 on top of your subscription.

It's become less and less value and the only reason I've kept it on is for the speedway. I've got BT anyway so hopefully they get it. Again I'd stress this doesn't surprise me but in the context of Sky's recent behaviour (fight with discovery over contract etc) it wouldn't surprise me and is all about the mess Sky is in, not speedway.

• Like 2

Why would BT be interested in speedway?

It's one thing taking a stream for the SGPs but actually covering the production costs for an event?

BT are also tightening their belts with the CL football bidding coming up soon!

Having dealt with both organizations , BT infinitely worse than Sky. This is over their whole range of services

This change from Sky to BT is a further contraction of interest in TV companies broadcasting live speedway. The BT deal will be sure to be three year one and at the end of that, the tiny viewing figures will very likely bring an end to league matches on TV. Except for the GPs which can presumably be sold on to other countries.

I changed to BT TV late last year after getting an absolutely ridiculous bargain on a black Friday deal. I have had absolutely no problems with BT whatsoever and customer service has been good in my experience.

So that's British League, SWC & SGP on BT sport HD and SEC, Best Pairs and Swedish League on Eurosport HD for me this year. I'm well happy with this news.

• Like 1

I cannot believe that anyone takes out a subscription for Sky or BT or whoever purely to watch speedway - which is what seems to come across when tv is mentioned on this forum

There is so much more to view that, whilst the monthly fee may on the face of it look hefty, the variety of sports and entertainment available for that sum makes it well worthwhile, particularly when one considers some of the ticket prices for sporting events

Perhaps if league speedway disappeared from the screens, people might get out to their local track more often and pay at the turnstile to see this great sport

• Like 3

Awesome news. I don't watch a lot of sport. Only really speedway. Not everybody is a multi sports fan. If bt do take on top league speedway then that makes a package with them worth it to me.

Last season I was waiting for the gp to be uploaded to YouTube while avoiding spoilers. Missed the sec and Swedish leagues. I'm probably in the minority as I'm a uk league speedway fan over the gp so I relied on now tv. As that's not recordable and working away also it did make things hard. Sky's full package and sports packages are ridiculous in value. Saving to get on the property ladder means I couldn't justify getting everything

I know people like to bury the sport but this is great news for the viewer who can't afford everything tv wise. Now

the bt package should pretty much cover it . . . Right?

Edited by Danny Connor

If you go with Plusnet for b-band/tel you can, through an active Sky box, get BT Sport for £10pm on a monthly contract. I did it last year. So all the GP's cost me total of £70 in total.

BT IMO are the most unprincipled greedy avaricious outfit going.i

Nahhh thats \Virgin

BT SPORT IS free with some Virgin packages

I have virgin XL , it is on there , but virgin Xl is just freeview with catchup tv at £50 a month , well it was 50 last month but next month most likely £55 " "but still great value because we have added a siamese religious channel !!"

• Like 1