British Speedway Forum

Who can forget the "exploding" Witches at Saddlebow Road, one of my all time favorite incidents during a local derby.

although they werent needed for the original intention too often 😛 it was a great concept 👍

I know it would be a massive outlay and probably not possible for most clubs these days.but if any club/clubs could afford to buy a large screen like sky have used for play off meetings and film every race and re run the races between each heat and interviews with riders/managers etc it would take the sport into the 21st century and keep people entertained inbetween heats.Big outlay i know but i would think fans would feel they are getting more value for money and will not get bored inbetween races i think its the main reason why people are put off speedway take out the boreing waits inbetween races and they will be more likely to come back for more.

• Like 5

I know it would be a massive outlay and probably not possible for most clubs these days.but if any club/clubs could afford to buy a large screen like sky have used for play off meetings and film every race and re run the races between each heat and interviews with riders/managers etc it would take the sport into the 21st century and keep people entertained inbetween heats.Big outlay i know but i would think fans would feel they are getting more value for money and will not get bored inbetween races i think its the main reason why people are put off speedway take out the boreing waits inbetween races and they will be more likely to come back for more.

I've said this before that a big screen would be ideal at meetings. I know there is a cost including maintenance and operational but I'm sure fans wouldn't mind watching a replay of the previous heat or even heats from years ago during breaks.

The price has dropped considerable over recent years. From memory I had a quote about 6 years ago and price was £75k, but now I would estimate it is half that due to advances in LED technology. Often the problem is the camera feeds and a decent visual editor to get the footage broadcasted.

When I was director of super7even I hired a mobile LED screen that was at each and every super7even event, the cost was only £2k per event and I did a separate deal with re run video to supply the live video feeds to it at zero cost and in return they had the rights to sell the DVD's.

Due to its success I actually put a business plan together for the BSPA to purchase it's own giant screen trailer for around £70k and send it out to tracks for a discounted price of £500 per match. I anticipated it would be busy 5 nights per week and would in fact end up being paid for within a season and another would be on order within a few months due to demand.

Unfortunately the committee at that time did not see its relevance or potential, unfortunately I did not have the funds to bank roll it myself either.

Moving onto today's world and I have already posted on another thread regarding video and live replays and in my opinion it has now moved on another stage from LED screens.

The majority of fans now carry their own mobile screen (smart phone) in their pocket and through dedicated WiFi networks at each track and a fancy new app, speedway could lead the way in developing a live sports network for fans to interact with the event whilst in attendance.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 9

The price has dropped considerable over recent years. From memory I had a quote about 6 years ago and price was £75k, but now I would estimate it is half that due to advances in LED technology. Often the problem is the camera feeds and a decent visual editor to get the footage broadcasted.

When I was director of super7even I hired a mobile LED screen that was at each and every super7even event, the cost was only £2k per event and I did a separate deal with re run video to supply the live video feeds to it at zero cost and in return they had the rights to sell the DVD's.

Due to its success I actually put a business plan together for the BSPA to purchase it's own giant screen trailer for around £70k and send it out to tracks for a discounted price of £500 per match. I anticipated it would be busy 5 nights per week and would in fact end up being paid for within a season and another would be on order within a few months due to demand.

Unfortunately the committee at that time did not see its relevance or potential, unfortunately I did not have the funds to bank roll it myself at that time.

Moving onto today's world and I have already posted on another thread regarding video and live replays and in my opinion it has now moved on another stage from LED screens.

The majority of fans now carry their own mobile screen (smart phone) in their pocket and through dedicated WiFi networks at each track and a fancy new app, speedway could lead the way in developing a live sports network for fans to interact with the event whilst in attendance.

What a fantastic idea , sadly Speedway cannot see that such items are value. Even put the play back in the bar for half time & use for advertising.....

• Like 2

What a fantastic idea , sadly Speedway cannot see that such items are value. Even put the play back in the bar for half time & use for advertising.....

True - it is a fantastic idea. Would there be enough money in Speedway these days to finance something like that?

I don't know............

True - it is a fantastic idea. Would there be enough money in Speedway these days to finance something like that?

I don't know............

Seems like their was is enough money to finance the new engine deal.

• Like 2

100% agree GB!! So it has to be a collective effort by the promoters and riders to sort it. Provide the exciting action and the punters will come

There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest this is the case.

Biggest myth in speedway.

Not much individuality in the GP now its like Team monster against the rest its childish and quite frankly rubbish!

Meanwhile back on Planet Earth it serves up some of the most exciting racing EVER seen in the sport.

This is the kind of thing that the sport needs.

• Like 1

I'm sure having a big screen will attract many more new fans - happy to pay their £17/£18 to watch every heat twice!! Can't see a downside at all really. ;-)

• Like 3

The price has dropped considerable over recent years. From memory I had a quote about 6 years ago and price was £75k, but now I would estimate it is half that due to advances in LED technology. Often the problem is the camera feeds and a decent visual editor to get the footage broadcasted

Unfortunately the committee at that time did not see its relevance or potential, unfortunately I did not have the funds to bank roll it myself either.

The problem is that the promoters are old and do not like change hernce the reason they did not like you running super 7 as you was way to advanced in ways for there liking. How the sport needs someone like you to drag in through the mud into the future, I was only saying the other day why don't they have free wifi for fans inside the stadium so you can keep an eye on other results and other sports while in the stadium

• Like 3

Really. The BSPA being reluctant to invest in something that would improve the match night experience for their customers. Something that would have contributed to bringing the sport out of the dark ages.

I find that hard to believe.

Maybe they were worried that the bright light it emits would keep the rows of OAPs awake whilst they are trying to catch 40 winks whilst the tractor goes round and round between races.

• Like 5

Most Speedway Promoters would think it 'cutting edge' to hand out blank pieces of paper and some pencils so you can sketch from memory the race you have just seen....

The less media savvy ones would provide a slate wall and a chisel.....

• Like 2

The NSS has free wifi or at least did last year. The idea of an app to watch repays is an excellent idea.

• Like 3

What if... the promoters in the boom years of speedway had reinvested some money in the future of the sport. There were plenty that made small fortunes and rode off into the sunset with bulging bank balances. I fear for domestic speedway now, too many opportunities have been lost over the years to modernize and grow. It has to embrace the digital age to survive imo...

• Like 2

What if... the promoters in the boom years of speedway had reinvested some money in the future of the sport. There were plenty that made small fortunes and rode off into the sunset with bulging bank balances. I fear for domestic speedway now, too many opportunities have been lost over the years to modernize and grow. It has to embrace the digital age to survive imo...

Agree, too much self interest from individuals, mind you with some of them it was their money they risked, but they do seem to have made some strange decisions that have reduced the sports appeal and money making opportunities.