British Speedway Forum

We do not know the actual full terms of the contract the BSPA has with Sky.

Although jchapman may do so more than the rest of us.

But we 'sort of know' that the BSPA is obligated to produce a minimum 8 team League that was at the time of agreement termed 'Eilte'.

And the renumeration (per match or whatever) sky paid would be laid down, I expect, in relation to that.

The change of name to the SGB Premiership MAY still be as acceptable to Sky as the 'elite' monker was.

But the 'eite league replacement' has a team strength set at ONLY 50 lower league points.

That is not 'elite' at all (and is not meant to be) when compared to the team strengths Sky were being offered at the time the contract was signed.

The 2017 Top League is starting with teams that are, at best, just the strength of those teams at the top of the 2016 Lower League.

I have said before that the changes to team building rules this winter are totally sensible for the sport itself.

But for an organistaion like Sky. I doubt it very much.

It would be surprising if there were not a contract clause dealing with this eventuality.

And IF Sky were run with this argument to get out of the remainder of the contract. Who could reasonably defend against it?

And why shouldn't BT or someone else pay less for any subsequent deal.

The BSPA ARE offering a lower standard product, after all.

We all know it, so will they.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3

We do not know the actual full terms of the contract the BSPA has with Sky.

Although jchapman may do so more than the rest of us.

But we 'sort of know' that the BSPA is obligated to produce a minimum 8 team League that was at the time of agreement termed 'Eilte'.

And the renumeration (per match or whatever) sky paid would be laid down, I expect, in relation to that.

The change of name to the SGB Premiership MAY still be as acceptable to Sky as the 'elite' monker was.

But the 'eite league replacement' has a team strength set at ONLY 50 lower league points.

That is not 'elite' at all (and is not meant to be) when compared to the team strengths Sky were being offered at the time the contract was signed.

The 2017 Top League is starting with teams that are, at best, just the strength of those teams at the top of the 2016 Lower League.

I have said before that the changes to team building rules this winter are totally senisble for the sport itself.

But for an organistaion like Sky. I doubt it very much.

It would be surprising if there were not a contract clause dealing with this eventuality.

And IF Sky were run with this argument to get out of the remainder of the contract. Who could reasonably defend against it?

And why shouldn't BT or someone else pay less for any subsequent deal.

The BSPA ARE offering a lower standard product, after all.

We all know it, so will they.

Top post

British Superbikes do not get money from Eurosport or ITV, its given free to provide exposure for the championship to gain sponsors for the series, teams and riders and they do a great job.

Speedway were fortunate to receive a generous deal last time as sky took title sponsorship, this time around they pay I believe per meeting that is broadcast that is all

With them cutting costs would speedway say no to live coverage but all sky so is cover their own cost? Sky are in a great position at the negotiation table

BT will be aware of all of this as would eurosport or itv4 etc

Tv companies want alot more than what speedway currently offers hence why it needs more than just new logos and new names for the leagues, there is alot of work needed and to be fair the rebrand should of happeneded after the fundamentals were put in place

Main issue being doubling up, the sport needs to regain its identity for clubs and fans, bspa needs fresh blood to take the sport forward into this era and to attract fans

Speedway don't need a tv deal anyway but they are not savvy enough to look at ither options I've even attempted to show them

• Like 1

I think the promoters would keep the teams as they are, and hopefully do what any good promoter should do and go out and promote the sport !!

Bring back riders squaring up too each other look at the Boxing how they promote it too get people to buy the pay per view.

I think there must be some serious talks going on behind the scenes, if it is only BT interested in showing speedway they hold all the aces as they have no one to bid against they could get it for peanuts.this could be more than a nail in the coffin it could be the padlock that keeps it locked let's hope not :(

The GP circus has far too much "chuminess" between riders, lead by Mr Handcock's cliquey Monster bunch. Thank goodness there is still N.Pedersen who does not get involved in that nauseating schmaltz.

Maybe this is permeating to league racing, where riders are colleagues at one team in Poland, rivals with another, and similar with doubling up.

There's just too much niceness out there.

• Like 6

The GP circus has far too much "chuminess" between riders, lead by Mr Handcock's cliquey Monster bunch. Thank goodness there is still N.Pedersen who does not get involved in that nauseating schmaltz.

Maybe this is permeating to league racing, where riders are colleagues at one team in Poland, rivals with another, and similar with doubling up.

There's just too much niceness out there.

Exactly we need more mr nastys like Pedersen the fans love a villain look when he get introduced at Cardiff all you hear are boos. he is a character and probably the only one left. The sport will be worse off when he retires.

Exactly we need more mr nastys like Pedersen the fans love a villain look when he get introduced at Cardiff all you hear are boos. he is a character and probably the only one left. The sport will be worse off when he retires.

I agree about characters and the interest provided other than the actual racing - however I do not like dangerous riding, the like which Lindgren dished out last season in the GPs and Pedersen has done in the past. Although I have to say I have not seen anything particularly harsh from Nicki for a few years now.

Remember when my local team was Bradford until we moved Sean the Prawn was quite a character

Dirty/dangerous riding I agree shouldn't be encouraged.

It's just all of this handshaking, fist-bumping type stuff between opponents on the wind-down lap that needs cutting down on. Riders should be concentrating on interacting with the crowd at those times, not having some on track love-in. Save that for the pits gate.

• Like 1

Only a few weeks until the season starts and whilst I sincerely hope this does not happen, I think it is worth discussing what would happen if either of the following scenarios developed:

1) Sky find a way to exit the 5 year contract without any financial penalties. The broadcasting rights then revert back to the BSPA but they can not agree a deal with BT sport that matches up to what the 8 competing teams had budgeted on receiving.

2) Sky decide to simply stop showing speedway to save on production costs, and are happy to honour the payments for broadcasting rights rather than do a deal with BT to broadcast the matches. However the knock on effect to the clubs is that sponsors will want a reduction in their agreed deals or even pull out all together, which I would estimate to be worth just as much to the clubs as the sky payments and would again leave their budget descimated.

So in either scenario what would happen to the Premiership? For example would riders take a pay cut or would their be urgent action taken by the clubs and top riders replaced with national league riders. Or is it worth all clubs taking a financial risk and running as they are but possibly cutting the league short after the first 7 home and 7 away?

No doubt some forum members will accuse me of doom mongering but who knows what is happening behind the scenes, and surely worth discussing 'what if' openly on a forum for supporters of British Speedway Premiership clubs....

How does the Championship league survive they don't get any sky money(maybe 1 meeting or so a season).The way it is now there are maybe half a dozen riders classed as top riders the rest ride in the championship league or are of that class.I heard that most of the sky money in the past was paid to the top riders to get them to ride over here,these days there are not that many top riders to

pay top wages to.I am not saying that if they loose the sky money it won't be a big blow but the way things are now i don't think it would cripple the sport like it would have done a few years ago.I would think that the weakening of the league(and in my opinion the aim is to have one big championship level league and loose all the top riders)is an attempt to keep speedway running in this country at a cost British promotions can afford without folding and the possibilty of eventually loosing the sky money could be part of their reasoning.So the plan to keep the sport running at a lower cost and maybe without sky money is already in motion.For all our sakes lets hope it works.

Edited by B.V 72

So you are telling me trees that you did not like Shane Parker antics at when he was at Lynn and you did not use to like buster running up to the refs box or laying on the track ? I'm sure you went home talking about these things as well as good racing it's a show as well as racing

I think your getting Buster mixed up with David Helmsley. You silly billy.

So you've got to have fights and confrontations to be entertaining? I beg to differ I just want to see great racing with plenty of passes, team riding, crowd interaction, that's how I want the riders to show their passion, not with fisticuffs.

The fans then need to respond, we have to show our passion for our club and riders by raising the roof so to speak after a great race, which I know we do but a little bit extra cheering and not programme filling would add to the night

No - but it all goes to add to the flavour.

Of course I would say that - I was a big fan of the late Jack Millen (Crazy Jack, Mad Jack, Millen the Villain). When Jack was riding against Frank Auffret (Teeside) their clashes were legendary. We still talk about them today. There were many more true characters in those days - Taffy Owen, Doug Wyer, Tony Childs, Arthur Browning, George Major - I could go on.

Characters are needed in Speedway - Niki Pedersen, as has been said, seems to be the only one left these days.

The Sport has become too sanitized - to it's cost.

I think your getting Buster mixed up with David Helmsley. You silly billy.

He most certainly is not. Buster has gone up the refs box many times, the most amusing was when he cleaned the windows to allow the ref to see better. I also recall him offering his own glasses to a ref (possibly Mick Bates)

The crowd loved it, or hated it depending on who they supported, never caused any hassle and kept us entertained during the non racing minutes. Sadly such actions are frowned on nowadays and would probably end up in a fine.

One former promoter, a member on here, would gesticulate with the ref from the centre green at least once a meeting and he did it specifically to entertain the fans. He told me several times he would phone the ref from the centre green, throwing his arms about to look annoyed but was simply telling the ref that it was all an act.

Edited by Star Lady

Losing any television coverage would kill the sport especially at premiership level as clubs and riders use the sky sports association to gain sponsorship this would dramatically decrease in value if there was no coverage, hence why sky will make the offer of just covering their costs but giving speedway its platform

Not much individuality in the GP now its like Team monster against the rest its childish and quite frankly rubbish!

• Like 3