British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thebaron

The Goalposts Have Moved So...

Reading the Star this week there is clear frustration amongst the riders over the demise of Coventry. This has impacted the on likes of Danny King; Lewis Kerr and James Sargeant. For me this has moved the goalposts (sorry Cov fans they've gone as well !) in terms of the Premiership team line-ups.

Sargeant a British rider does not have a team place at all; while Kerr and King now only have a team place in the Championship. Surely this cannot be right; when the likes of Josh Bailey and Ellis Perks have THREE team slots this season across all THREE LEAGUES. ?

With respect neither rider is of the standard of Lewis Kerr or James Sargeant just yet; so would it not be common sense for Kerr and Sargeant to come into the Premiership team of the two riders?. I know we want to push forward British talent (actually Perks is Australian) but neither are at Premiership standard (yet) so arguably the racing would be better if Kerr and Sargeant replaced Bailey and Perks ?. Sargeant at least would then have one team to ride for.

We really are cutting our noses off to spite our face with this. There are a number of very capable riders who will start the season on the sidelines through no fault of their own. Surely there has to be a bit of fairness and consideration given where some riders have THREE TEAMS.

No disrespect to the likes of Bailey and Perks who clearly have potential. But Kerr and Sargeant are definitely more on the pace in the Premier League for sure.

Is it too late to look at the teams again?; it would not be the daftest thing the Speedway hierarchy had come up with by a long chaulk.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 3

Reading the Star this week there is clear frustration amongst the riders over the demise of Coventry. This has impacted the on likes of Danny King; Lewis Kerr and James Sargeant. For me this has moved the goalposts (sorry Cov fans they've gone as well !) in terms of the Premiership team line-ups.

Sargeant a British rider does not have a team place at all; while Kerr and King now only have a team place in the Championship. Surely this cannot be right; when the likes of Josh Bailey and Ellis Perks have THREE team slots this season across all THREE LEAGUES. ?

With respect neither rider is of the standard of Lewis Kerr or James Sargeant just yet; so would it not be common sense for Kerr and Sargeant to come into the Premiership team of the two riders?. I know we want to push forward British talent (actually Perks is Australian) but neither are at Premiership standard (yet) so arguably the racing would be better if Kerr and Sargeant replaced Bailey and Perks ?. Sargeant at least would then have one team to ride for.

We really are cutting our noses off to spite our face with this. There are a number of very capable riders who will start the season on the sidelines through no fault of their own. Surely there has to be a bit of fairness and consideration given where some riders have THREE TEAMS.

No disrespect to the likes of Bailey and Perks who clearly have potential. But Kerr and Sargeant are definitely more on the pace in the Premier League for sure.

Is it too late to look at the teams again?; it would not be the daftest thing the Speedway hierarchy had come up with by a long chaulk.

No not at all tbf its not the signed riders fault that Coventry have folded, to me to start dumping riders just because the Coventry ones have not got a ride is disgusting, even if these already signed riders have three teams it makes no difference.

• Like 1

Maybe a better option to give the displaced 'Bees' first refusal on all available guest appearances

Edited by JC!
  • Like 3

I realize the circumstances behind it ,

but the fact a young British rider like James Sarjeant cant get a team spot anywhere

in British speedway , makes a mockery of the sport .

• Like 2

Maybe a better option to give the displaced 'Bees' first refusal on all available guest appearances

Nice idea, but would you give a ride to someone who hasn't ridden for a while, when ANother rider who is on top form knocking in the points for fun and is available . All clubs should be having that win at all costs mentality.

Perks is not an Australian.

• Like 1

As I said before Sargeant should contact the Border Agency, they have the power to revoke work visas, where a suitable British Rider has priority over Johnny Foreigner.

Utter nonsense.

How fair would it be on the rest of the league for King's Lynn to drop Bailey for Kerr or Rye House drop Perks for Sargeant?

You really think that's fair just because Coventry folded.

It'll make more of a mockery of British Speedway.

Couldn't agree more with the last poster. Doubling-up has done nothing at all for British Speedway - it has just created the shortage of riders that promoters are now griping about - yet instead of moving towards phasing it out altogether, the talk is always about extending it even more.

No rider should be allowed to ride for more than one team - much less be allowed to ride for 3!

Now we have this nonsensical situation of several riders having no team to ride for whilst others have two or even three!

Edited by BBuck
  • Like 6

Whilst i certainly don't like what has happened to the Cov riders i don't agree with the point that all brits should get places over foreigners just because of nationality. The only way to make brit riders more attractive as signings is to reduce their averages at the end of each season but leave the overseas riders of the achieved / assessed ave's.

Doubling up is the problem!!

Trebleling up is even worse!!

Same old **** again, just rebadged to paper over the gaping cracks

The problem is foreigners being allowed to double up
  • Like 4

Couldn't agree more with the last poster. Doubling-up has done nothing at all for British Speedway - it has just created the shortage of riders that promoters are now griping about - yet instead of moving towards phasing it out altogether, the talk is always about extending it even more.

No rider should be allowed to ride for more than one team - much less be allowed to ride for 3!

Now we have this nonsensical situation of several riders having no team to ride for whilst others have two or even three!

I remember speaking with Kyle Newman's Dad a few seasons ago when Kyle was really struggling in the EL. I said that he couldn't get much out of it but he totally disagreed, saying that the experience was hugely valuable. Any doubling up rider will gain that, be it from the NL to SGBC or SGBC to SGBP. For that reason, I think that doubling up is OK - after all, its been around for decades. I can recall Gary Peterson, for example, doubling up between Nelson & Wolverhampton in the 1960's.

The problem is not doubling up, but the fact that it got completely out of hand. Should have been two riders at most and only then when all riders had been sorted for a team. It also should have been Brits only, if that was possible.

Its rather ironic that Coventry riders are being named as being without a team or only one team yet they had no less than 4 doubling up riders while the likes of Stefan Nielsen and Joe Jacobs didn't have a team at all.