British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Peterborough V Coventry Challenge 19th Match 12pm

I think a pound for parking is fantastic value for money, i'm struggling to comprehend why this thread is being dominated by a quid, when it should all be about Coventry Bees comfortable win at the Showground...

I am struggling to understand why you think people are not allowed to talk about their overall experience of the meeting rather than just the performances of riders, which was overall very encouraging for the British ones on show.

My first visit to Peterborough, I must say its a good little stadium. Perfectly situated and if only Coventry could have got the same sort of thing at Stonleigh.

The "discussion" about turnstiles etc is what the forum is and should be about. It's not about who is right or wrong but more a point of getting your own personal view across, some may be read by promotions and help in the future. We got there about 11.20 and there was a lot of people waiting to get in, I was expecting it to be a large crowd as there was always going to be a good following plus the home supporters seeing good opposition so having more turnstiles open from the start in hiendsight may have been better. The delay between heat 14 and 15 was very strange, with the initial delay and knowing people wanted to get to Wolverhampton we were left waiting and waiting. No announcement as to why?

It's not just Peterborough here, the frustration as a supporter is that it's meant to be a professional sport and I don't think meetings in general are run that way.If I was a first timer I would have thought nobody knows what's going on here around heat 15.

Most other sports seem to have it nailed on, it's an event from start to finish not just here and there.

However...

A great meeting with riders going for it in a challenge meeting. K.Bjerre was so much more than I expected, would have been interesting to see how this team would have done. Josh Bates looked very good and how L.Bjerre stayed on in heat 14 as he headed towards the fence I'll never know. Not been mentioned much but also good of havvy to be team manager for us.

A huge thank you to Peterborough promotion for allowing us to watch and support the Bees. The one and only time the original 1-7 rode together and K.Bjerre leaves as an unbeaten Coventry rider.

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 5

This is a good point, however many people are happy to stand and could the club actually be missing a trick here as i believe they would earn more from offering free parking and charging a pound for the grandstand.

And some actually can't stand for getting on for 2 hours or more so don't give them any ideas! I'm quite happy to pay £1 to park but wouldn't be so keen on paying extra to sit down as it is a massive stand holding 2,000 I believe? At 'normal' matches most people go in the stand and very little on the back straight as it's usually bloody freezing. :lol: We've already paid our admission fee so shouldn't be expected to pay anything extra.

........Coventry_Bee.............It's not just Peterborough here, the frustration as a supporter is that it's meant to be a professional sport and I don't think meetings in general are run that way. If I was a first timer I would have thought nobody knows what's going on here around heat 15.

Most other sports seem to have it nailed on, it's an event from start to finish not just here and there.

Agree, although it's not just new comers. Who did know what was going on 'cos I certainly didn't? Knowing the start had already been delayed and some fans were anxious to get away to Wolverhampton why was there such a big gap between heats 14 and 15? I've read on here they couldn't get a 2nd Coventry rider but surely that's not right. :neutral:

I am struggling to understand why you think people are not allowed to talk about their overall experience of the meeting rather than just the performances of riders, which was overall very encouraging for the British ones on show.

Well, if a pound for parking is a major topic in the overall experience of the day, then the day must have been a memorable one :rolleyes:

If everywhere i parked was a pound i would be overjoyed..

• Like 2

This is a good point, however many people are happy to stand and could the club actually be missing a trick here as i believe they would earn more from offering free parking and charging a pound for the grandstand.

That'd see off a few more regulars so that's some trick. The car parking was originally brought in to contribute to the clubs SRBF donation. Not sure when it actually got subsumed into running costs. Peterborough Speedway is, and always has been, the free stand. I never understand why people don't make use of that and choose to freeze outside. Anyway, don't give the showground ideas, they'd probably do both.

• Like 2

That'd see off a few more regulars so that's some trick. The car parking was originally brought in to contribute to the clubs SRBF donation. Not sure when it actually got subsumed into running costs. Peterborough Speedway is, and always has been, the free stand. I never understand why people don't make use of that and choose to freeze outside. Anyway, don't give the showground ideas, they'd probably do both.

Good old Jonathan he is a chip of the old block isn't he, at Lynn they charge you to sit down and do not even provide a roof.

As for most people enjoy standing, what bloody planet are you on Chapman, most of the speedway supporters are middle aged plus, they like to sit down mate with a hot drink in one hand and a programme board in the other.

A few years ago you were a promoter with a raft of supposedly bright ideas, just remind us how did that end.

• Like 2

So you choose to make your comments personal,well done for bringing a good discussion down to the level that is not productive.

However now you ask my days as promoter ended very successfully thank you, 10 major trophies in total plus increased gates year on year. A successful re launch of the shared events which produced a 300% increase in profits year on year. Also won promotion of the year as voted for by the riders. Sure their is more success stories to add but don't want to bore you....

Hope that clears everything up.

Crikey, with a CV like that it sort of beggars belief why you are discussing car park charges on the BSF as opposed to being the chairman of the BSPA and completely turning around the sport in this country.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 2

Crikey, with a CV like that it sort of beggars belief why you are discussing car park charges on the BSF as opposed to being the chairman of the BSPA and taking the sport by storm.

Possibly because the promoters didn't like being told they could and should do better ;)

Their attitude is not unlike some fans to be honest.

• Like 3

The car parking was originally brought in to contribute to the clubs SRBF donation. Not sure when it actually got subsumed into running costs.

Thinking again about that, it was probably runnings costs anyway as a contribution to the Colin Horton benefit fund. We wouldn't have swallowed that so the SRBF was a good cover.

Thinking about a quid to sit though, the abolition of free standing at the back that's always been there created enough stink, imagine charging an exta quid and policing that in the 2200 seater stand - good luck with that idea :)

• Like 2

So you choose to make your comments personal,well done for bringing a good discussion down to the level that is not productive.

However now you ask my days as promoter ended very successfully thank you, 10 major trophies in total plus increased gates year on year. A successful re launch of the shared events which produced a 300% increase in profits year on year. Also won promotion of the year as voted for by the riders. Sure their is more success stories to add but don't want to bore you....

Hope that clears everything up.

And how many elite league titles did you win. I promise the answer won't bore me.

And how many elite league titles did you win. I promise the answer won't bore me.

During the two years I spent in the Elite League before leaving we did not win any.

However we did make the play offs twice, and whilst that is not mind blowing I would say it was a pretty good achievement considering we kept things profitable and wasn't throwing away money hand over fist whilst trying to buy ourselves a title..... just as some promoters you may know have in the past ;)

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 2

During the two years I spent in the Elite League before leaving we did not win any.

However we did make the play offs twice, and whilst that is not mind blowing I would say it was a pretty good achievement considering we kept things profitable and wasn't throwing away money hand over fist whilst trying to buy ourselves a title..... just as some promoters you may know have in the past ;)

Supporters remember titles not what the costs were involved .