British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

So Tai could ride in this seasons World Cup for Australia if he wants?.

Doubtful if he is riding for GB in the GP's.

Would you confidently bet he wouldn't as I wouldn't?.

To Tai his home now & in the future is in Australia & who could blame him as apart from not having a team Speedway it's the place to be.

He wouldn't because his father wanted him to ride for GB.

Let's not forget his isn't the first British rider to have turned their back on the UK league at one point or another. Simon Wigg, Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson all did so too.

Steve, with all due respect mate, if you knew the reason why Rico told Team GB to do one, I certainly don't think you'd blame him fella....trust!

He has dual nationality so he can choose either. He has always nailed his flag to the UK mast and I don't see that changing.

He has certainly done more for British Speedway than the BSPA have so we should be grateful of that. Whilst I don't agree with his stance on not riding in the National competitions I firmly lay the blame on that where it belongs, with the governing body.

does he have dual nationality?

He wasnt born in Oz,he doesnt have Aussie parents and he came back to the UK before he was old enough to apply for naturalisation.

When did he get his Aussie passport??

The riders have no say about the rules, It's like the uproar directed towards the Poles over trying to protect their product (BSPA take note), If the British set up was well organised, run for the benefit of the sport, properly promoted and stop bloody tinkering with the averages / points limits ( obviously a personal hate of mine this year), maybe the sport would be taken more seriously by the media. Crowds would return and the extra money coming into the sport would benefit all.

I can't comment on Tai as he's blocked me on twitter for pointing out his "training schools" never appeared after he called out Rosco for being a liar on twitter. (almost Trump levels of paranoia going on there)

• Like 1

The people in these threads trying to win arguments on negligible points is pathetic. Why do we always look to blame others? If you were training for a boxing match against Wladimir Klitschko, but you were only sparring against 5ft journeyman, you wouldn't stand a chance of winning. The Brits need to be competing against the best of the best to better themselves.

And British riders wouldn't get that riding against continental riders? Why give Aussies a berth that could go to a Brit? Time to put our riders first.
  • Like 1

I've seen this comment made by a few people recently and am genuinely curious...Do Australian riders not currently have to get a visa for Poland to race there if they are racing in the UK?

Certainly in other fields of work a visa for the UK would not allow the person to work in Poland, and similarly a visa to work in Poland would not allow them to work in the UK.

I've often wondered this. When it all came up about the visa issues a couple of years now, about Aussie riders and the doubling up problems, why can they then go and ride for another team in Europe?? Edited by Najjer

The riders have no say about the rules, It's like the uproar directed towards the Poles over trying to protect their product (BSPA take note), If the British set up was well organised, run for the benefit of the sport, properly promoted and stop bloody tinkering with the averages / points limits ( obviously a personal hate of mine this year), maybe the sport would be taken more seriously by the media. Crowds would return and the extra money coming into the sport would benefit all.

Crowds are never going to return whatever you do, domestic speedway will die with the few fans that still go..

And British riders wouldn't get that riding against continental riders? Why give Aussies a berth that could go to a Brit? Time to put our riders first.

Don't you ever stop? You are happy to have potentially 2 great Aussie youngsters in Brady Kurtz and Jack Holder this year and you are banging a drum about giving team spots to Brits! Do you know how hypocritical that sounds?

I assume you will be in favour in Jack and Brady staying in Aussie next season and giving their team spots to Brits - since they haven't really been here long enough to be considered "established riders". :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Aussies have never been trouble for UK speedway surely and apart from Crump none of them have forsaken the British League?

I totally get that we need to 100% encourage our boys though ....

One of the best teams for King's Lynn over the years was 2000 the year when they were just beaten for the Championship by Eastbourne The team was

JASON CRUMP. LEIGH ADAMS STEVE MASTERS CRAIG BOYCE SHANE PARKER TRAVIS McGOWAN Tom Madsen.

One of the best teams for King's Lynn over the years was 2000 the year when they were just beaten for the Championship by Eastbourne The team was

JASON CRUMP. LEIGH ADAMS STEVE MASTERS CRAIG BOYCE SHANE PARKER TRAVIS McGOWAN Tom Madsen.

Why is Steve Masters in caps,he's English :wink:

• Like 1

Steve, with all due respect mate, if you knew the reason why Rico told Team GB to do one, I certainly don't think you'd blame him fella....trust!

Fair enough, however the point still stands that's several over the years have quit racing in the UK and team GB which means there is something not right going on at the top table!

does he have dual nationality?

He wasnt born in Oz,he doesnt have Aussie parents and he came back to the UK before he was old enough to apply for naturalisation.

When did he get his Aussie passport??

Think it's always been assumed that he could select either, didn't he make a thing of saying he was selecting to race for GB because he could when he first came over?

So your post throws up an interesting point.

I don't know the regulations and criteria for qualifying for dual nationality if anyone does?

If true it would be an embarrassment for those who hold it over Tai and use it like a yard stick to beat him with.

Don't need to worry about any Rules, Laws, Visas etc. The BSPA Promoters simply don't give them a Team place, nothing illegal about that, simple as that.

Correct, but there's always one that will pull a fast one and sign an Aussie, probably after a Brit gets injured/loses form, and they'll say it's in the best interests of British Speedway, and the unwritten rule falls apart...