British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longlivefrankie

Teams Tradional Race Nights

When Wimbledon changed race night from Monday to Thursday an article, probably in the Speedway Star, explained the reason as falling crowds.

These were thought to be related to the popular television series Wagon Train which ran on Monday.

It did obtain huge viewing figures but I don't think it kept me in.

So,what was popular on a saturday night to make them change again after just a year?Max Bygraves or was it Sid Millward and his Nitwits? :lol:

When Wimbledon changed race night from Monday to Thursday an article, probably in the Speedway Star, explained the reason as falling crowds.

These were thought to be related to the popular television series Wagon Train which ran on Monday.

It did obtain huge viewing figures but I don't think it kept me in.

In regard to Wimbledon staging speedway only for one season on Saturday nights, as I recall they had to change again because Spedeworth negotiated deal with the then stadium owners to stage car racing on that night.

I used to travel up from Swindon on Saturdays (I was at school during the week) to see a lot of Arsenal and Chelsea games in the late 60's and early 70's. I'm sure that on travelling back from the games from Paddington and passing Reading, that the Racers would very often have a meeting at Tilehurst. I can even see the big old fir trees that used to skirt the back straight next to the railway line.

As previously posted, Reading ran on Mondays didn't they?.............but these were definitely Saturday meetings.......confused

If memory serves me right Reading was Monday's since day one and never changed.

Saturday was Dog night

If memory serves me right Reading was Monday's since day one and never changed.

Saturday was Dog night

Could it be that certain meetings might have been held at Tilehurst on a saturday?I never went,but seem to recall attending Smallmead on an afternoon maybe for the British round of the WTC?Not sure if that was on a day other than monday evening,so maybe there was the odd meeting on a sat or sun?

With the exception of three Tuesday fixtures against Exeter all Tilehurst matches were Mondays.

Smallmead staged some Friday matches in 1975 to catch up with their fixture backlog, and one Sunday meeting (27 July v Newport). In subsequent years one or two Sunday events have not been uncommon and they did briefly move to Fridays during the Bulldogs era, but I can't think of any Saturday meetings.

I used to travel up from Swindon on Saturdays (I was at school during the week) to see a lot of Arsenal and Chelsea games in the late 60's and early 70's. I'm sure that on travelling back from the games from Paddington and passing Reading, that the Racers would very often have a meeting at Tilehurst. I can even see the big old fir trees that used to skirt the back straight next to the railway line.

As previously posted, Reading ran on Mondays didn't they?.............but these were definitely Saturday meetings.......confused

Also travelled up on the train and coach, before the m4 was built in 1970, to watch the Arsenal after we had moved out of London to Swindon and remember passing Tilehurst, now an industrial estate.

With the exception of three Tuesday fixtures against Exeter all Tilehurst matches were Mondays.

Smallmead staged some Friday matches in 1975 to catch up with their fixture backlog, and one Sunday meeting (27 July v Newport). In subsequent years one or two Sunday events have not been uncommon and they did briefly move to Fridays during the Bulldogs era, but I can't think of any Saturday meetings.

the World Cup final was on a Saturday Arnie.
  • Like 1

Reading another thread started me thinking about tracks race nights from sixties & seventies

Here's the ones I think remember - correct me if I'm wrong & add others if so desired

Monday ...... Reading, Exeter, Newcastle

Tuesday...... Leicester, West Ham

Wednesday. Poole, Hull

Thursday.... Wimbledon, Sheffield, Oxford

Friday......... Hackney, Newport, Wolverhampton, Edinburgh

Saturday..... Cradley Heath, Belle Vue, Coventry, Swindon, Glasgow

for some reason I thought Poole were Tuesdays