British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow Tigers V Scunthorpe Scorpions . Championship League Sat 1st April 2017 At 7 P.m.

Seems an age since we hosted the Benfund meeting , but this Saturday begins our League campaign .

All the early season cobweb blowing events will have taken place , our Benfund , Berwick's anniversary meeting and the Trick Track open at the dump .

We begin with a meeting against last seasons poorest visitors , the Scunny arachnoids . In their attempt to break the 20 point barrier this time they rely on much the same septet that held up the league last year , though they might be a man light with Lewis Kerr's Peterborough jinx surfacing again on Friday .

We approach our new racenight with probably the best heat leader trio in the division . Son of God , Aaron Summers and the senior Worrall twin .

I fully expect Richie to continue last season's progress and establish himself as our number 1 , even though Aaron starts in that legendary position .

Imagine gracing the Tigers number 1 race jacket and following in the footsteps of the likes of Monk , McMillan , Nagy , Stancl , Parker and God himself , Steve Lawson . Is there a greater honour in British speedway ? I think not .

And we have a very young and exciting back up to the three heat leaders . Dan Bewley allowed to serve his apprenticeship in a West Lothian backwater , lives the dream of every young Cumbrian and follow in God's tyre tracks .

Our entertaining young Finn , Nike Lunna , returns to enthral us with his never say die endeavours . He might be named after a pair of trainers , but we love him .

Then it's welcome to our two new reserves . Tom Perry has always shown a liking for our track and he can kick on from last season's impressive campaign and challenge for a top 5 place , while it's welcome to young Jack Smith . He boasts a speedway pedigree nearly as good as Son of God and we look forward to enjoying his progress throughout the season .

So not long to wait now until the Stripes take to the shale , a city expects lads .

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 6

looking forward to this, will be interesting to see how our new boys get on, Wallner looks to be a strong reserve and MPT can be very exciting, always thought he might have ended up at Glasgow, he has been a regular guest for us. I think we will win fairly comfortably though.

Sadly I can only see another big home win here... Hope we can perform better than last years poor showing, I bloody hope so. Can't see many, if at all any teams getting any points at Glasgow this year. As for Scunny holding up the league last year.. that accolade went to Redcar.. closely followed by Lewi's tactically inept Plymouth. Hard to believe we didn't come bottom...thankfully there were poorer teams than us ;) .

• Like 3

I think it will be closer than last year, guaranteed. Home win though, but I've no real idea how Dan, Tom and Jack will do.

Hopefully a big crowd and the weather stays well behaved.

Well the 1 to 7s have been named and for Glasgow it's

1 Summers

2 Bewley

3 Worrall

4 Lunna

5 Lawson

6 Perry

7 Smith

Scunny

1 Douglas

2 Wilkinson

3 Kerr

4 Palm Toft

5 Auty

6 Wallner

7 Bailey

Think this could be closer than what most people think, I believe Smith and Perry might take time to get used to there new surroundings and the Austrian at reserve for Scunthorpe could like the shape of Ashfield.

Glasgow will be relying on the big 3 come heats 13/15 and with Scunthorpe not having an out and out number 1 this is where I believe they will win it. I'll go for 51 39 to the home side.

Will be more competitive this year but it should still result in a big home win 58 - 32 or thereabouts.

Will be more competitive this year but it should still result in a big home win 58 - 32 or thereabouts.

I think it will be much closer than that.

All the best

Rob

I think it will be much closer than that.

All the best

Rob

My football coupons are way out on a Saturday so your probably right 57 - 33 then. Edited by Gazc

fecking massive away win :wink:

I don't think it will be massive; but looking on paper at the two teams; you got to say that we should be able to get about that Glasgow team given the 'experience' advantage over the likes of Bewley; Smith; Perry and Nike Lunna. I would not under estimate those riders but at this stage of the season; we might have a chance to catch them out before they get into their stride ?.

I don't think it will be massive; but looking on paper at the two teams; you got to say that we should be able to get about that Glasgow team given the 'experience' advantage over the likes of Bewley; Smith; Perry and Nike Lunna. I would not under estimate those riders but at this stage of the season; we might have a chance to catch them out before they get into their stride ?.

Very doubtful but never say never you may prove to be correct but i very much doubt it i would say being realistic a 10 - 15 point home win

• Like 1

I would be hoping for something similar Outsider. I would have imagined Rob wanted to get rid of one of the big teams before they got in their stride & hoping we would be ok having ridden together as a team, but that was 6 months ago. Their big 3 does concern me in they got big scores in the Ben Fund meeting, but I expected that.

"Failure to Prepare, Prepare to Fail" was an anecdote that sprang to mind when I read what Peet said about our 1st meeting at P'boro. Also, MPT was on social media asking for where he could practice with the use of tapes. We, also, have the issues with Ryan trying to get the best out of different engines, Josh seems to be not up to speed only getting his points off lower riders or gifted points thro falls/retirements. Lewis having his wrist injury but must be on a high after getting a spot at Poole, only on a 28 day trial due to the unfortunate injury to Newman. As has been said, we will not stop trying & giving 100% is all we can ask(but stay safe).

Good luck Saturday so it gives us the opportunity for a decent Sunday opening fixture crowd.

I'm sure we wont get another 71-19 meeting , I don't want to stand through one of those again ( unless it's against Edinburgh :P ) . So an entertaining narrow home victory will do very nicely .

I know at the start of any season you can get the odd weird result here and there , but i'm sure our boys will be ready and fired up to make a winning start to the campaign .

• Like 2

You say Scorpions have an "experience" advantage. Yeah they had so much "experience" the same Scunthorpe septet were annihilated 71-19 at the same track last season. They were woeful. By contrast, and contrary to your post, Lunna has plenty of experience of Ashfield, in fact far and away more experience of Ashfield. Tom Perry also has had good performances at Ashfield, as has Dan Bewley with heat wins to his name at Ashfield. And then there's the heat leader trio of Lawson/Summers/Worrall which speaks for itself. So your claim that Scunthorpe have "experience advantage" is not so much kicked into touch but right out of the stadium and into the stratosphere. The only one to really have less experience of Ashfield than Scunthorpe is Jack Smith but who boasts a solid pedigree and has plenty of potential.

So, I disagree with your premise that Scunthorpe have experience advantage over Glasgow for this Ashfield fixture. At the EWR yes, but not at Ashfield.

Hope its a good meeting. At least there's plenty of passing at Ashfield, whereas I've never seen any passing at the EWR its always processional any time I've been.

• Like 2