British Speedway Forum
waytogo28

2017 Marketing "push" By Bspa

The comment by SCB prompted me to want to start this three. Most of those who want speedway to thrive and continue have concerns about how to attract ( and retain ) new fans to the sport. I agree with almost all of SCB's comment because the product is all too often perceived as not good value for money when you do get new people in front of it ( believe me I have tried over the years ). The charge of first out of the second band on lap one wins is true in at least 50% of heats ( in my experience ). I am considering bailing out this season having found that my previously insatiable appetite for the new season has waned hugely. Just one point of view. What do others think?

SCB said -

"No, not once people have turned up and been charged £2 to park in a field full of holes and rubbish or on a crater filled, rubble car park full of puddles only to then get in having paid £17 for the meeting to be abandoned at heat 8 with no refund having stood in a crumbling stadium, with piss poor toilet facilities and little or no protection from the rain that he'd been falling for the last two heats. And to make matters worse if the meeting had started on time and run at a reasonable pace by the 9pm rain deluge they could have run 15 heats but they delayed the start then run at a sedate (almost slow) pace."

• Like 5

Well Sheffield was free this week and I found a reason not to go, think the team looks good so could be a good season results wise, but the majority said that the track was the same as last year.

if that stays the same I am not going to watch 15 processions just because we will do well, so I will see what happens before I commit to paying out £50 just to have a chat and moan about the lack of racing

Well Sheffield was free this week and I found a reason not to go, think the team looks good so could be a good season results wise, but the majority said that the track was the same as last year.

if that stays the same I am not going to watch 15 processions just because we will do well, so I will see what happens before I commit to paying out £50 just to have a chat and moan about the lack of racing

I read similar reports, including one that said a couple of newbies had gone home before the last two heats (they'd had enough), then the Sheffield promotion said what brilliant racing it was! It used to be a very good track and a number of tracks have been praised for their improved condition this year, hopefully they'll reap the benefits.

I read similar reports, including one that said a couple of newbies had gone home before the last two heats (they'd had enough), then the Sheffield promotion said what brilliant racing it was! It used to be a very good track and a number of tracks have been praised for their improved condition this year, hopefully they'll reap the benefits.

What marketing push did they do on the night to get some repeat visits?

Anyone know?

A few hundred people extra in a 'captured market' environment should deliver plenty of further income if a business gets it act together...

Let's hope Sheffield did it well..

I always think the weather has an influence on the crowd levels and no truer saying than 'There's nothing better than sunshine speedway'.

I also believe that add ons such as car parking and programme weigh on peoples mind when deciding if the night out was VFM.

Overall I believe a few clubs will buck the trend such as Belle Vue and Rye House, but for the rest they will see a decline in crowd numbers whilst costs are clearly going up for both riders and clubs.

• Like 2

I always think the weather has an influence on the crowd levels and no truer saying than 'There's nothing better than sunshine speedway'.

I also believe that add ons such as car parking and programme weigh on peoples mind when deciding if the night out was VFM.

Overall I believe a few clubs will buck the trend such as Belle Vue and Rye House, but for the rest they will see a decline in crowd numbers whilst costs are clearly going up for both riders and clubs.

That certainly will not help this situation Speedway finds itself in.

Cost should be kept to an absolute minimum or your Supporter base will drop. We are already seeing this happen. I don't know what the solution is, if indeed there is one. I do think that things like a Campaign on Social Media might help.

I am not a very Technical person and wouldn't know where to start something like that - but surely Social Media should be used to push our Sport more than it is at present. Surely someone at the BSPA has the nouse to start something going.

Waiting to be shot down in flames.

That certainly will not help this situation Speedway finds itself in.

Cost should be kept to an absolute minimum or your Supporter base will drop. We are already seeing this happen. I don't know what the solution is, if indeed there is one. I do think that things like a Campaign on Social Media might help.

I am not a very Technical person and wouldn't know where to start something like that - but surely Social Media should be used to push our Sport more than it is at present. Surely someone at the BSPA has the nouse to start something going.

Waiting to be shot down in flames.

actually the new branding has been very evident on both Twitter and Facebook, with a brilliant colour advert with both team line ups and all the information needed for the meeting, also picture of each Captain, so tbf they are trying this year. Ipswich Newcastle and Peterborough have made close season track changes, along with Leicester, it's very early days surely for this season to be so down in the dumps!!
  • Like 5

actually the new branding has been very evident on both Twitter and Facebook, with a brilliant colour advert with both team line ups and all the information needed for the meeting, also picture of each Captain, so tbf they are trying this year. Ipswich Newcastle and Peterborough have made close season track changes, along with Leicester, it's very early days surely for this season to be so down in the dumps!!

Here's hoping you are right Badge.

Agreed all looks better, however still need a good product that represents VFM or it will all be in vain.

• Like 2

Agreed all looks better, however still need a good product that represents VFM or it will all be in vain.

............. and there's the rub.

And although it was free on Thursday at Sheffield, some people seemed to think even that was not good value for money

• Like 1

I've read positives about SGBP meetings so far, haven't you?

All fair comments..

Bottom line for me is simply admission costs keep the crowds away the most..

For me and my 13 year old lad it costs me £24 to stand up at BV, to sit its a minimum £30, £33 being the top figure. We get a seat each at United for £45 in total with the same £10 cost for him to sit down.!

Add on the £3 parking and the programme and you are looking at £30 before any food and drink. Meaning circa £40 for a visit to Speedway to stand up for two hours and often much more....

£40 for a tiny minority sport unheard of by vast swathes of the population..

Run one match a week and that's around £160 out of your monthly disposable income..

What that has done therefore is render Speedway 'an occasional treat' for many families rather than something they can afford to do regularly. You only have to see the demographic of the average Speedway fan who attends. Male, white, middle aged and above, attending invariably by himself where he meets up with like minded mates..

Getting two thousand a week paying £15 is equal to one thousand paying £30 in admission, however much more lucrative in the bars, car parks and programme sales...

And much better also in generating the type of atmosphere that not only holds onto fans but attracts them too..

A self fulfilling prophecy...

Get lots of families there and it becomes 'an event' which the kids will want to be going to again and again. Have the odd lonesome family there by themselves and the kids will think they are being punished by their parents making them attend...😕

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Sunshine Speedway is only any good if the people preparing the track know how to do it properly without producing dust at some point.

All too often that's not the case.

The point about Sheffield is an interesting one. If the meeting was actually a boring procession, then letting people in for free is likely to have a negative impact rather than the hoped for positive one!

When will everyone realise the truth, people don't go because it's (generally) boring!

Prior to going to Belle Vue on Saturday night, my 7 year old son told me he didn't like Speedway any more and didn't really want to go. If you can't attract an 7 year old with bikes and dirt then something is seriously wrong.

Fortunately after what he saw at Belle Vue, he says he definitely wants to go again so the sport hasn't lost him (yet).

Edited by Stoke Potter

Sheffield used to be a very good race track.Its big and fast so what is the problem? If its down to bad track prep then its really poor by the promoters.Give the riders a good track to race on like BV was on Saturday and you will get good racing.