British Speedway Forum
SCB

The Delayed Start.

The King's Lynn promotion have warned and advised fans tonight will be a one-off as it's the first meeting of the season.

Start times will now be adhered to regardless

Glad they have said that. I have been prone in the past to coast up at the last minute knowing full well there wouldn't be any racing until 7.50sih.

I can easily get there earlier but could never be bothered as it was just longer to wait.

For future reference, what time is racing due to start at Lynn this year in future?

Ps regarding the £4 in piles... that's what they do at foxhall

They do indeed but folk complain that most of the punters are geriatrics and there is only 1 old timers' gate so there's a big queue there!!

• Like 1

Why don't all clubs have the facility to buy tickets on line. Believe Belle Vue offer this at no extra cost.

• Like 2

They do indeed but folk complain that most of the punters are geriatrics and there is only 1 old timers' gate so there's a big queue there!!

don't old folk(most of), just moan anyway, gives them something to do ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 3

don't old folk(most of), just moan anyway, gives them something to do ;)

...don't complain about 'old folk' because apparently without them there wouldn't be any speedway considering the problems the sport has attracted youngsters.

If the meeting starts at 7.30 then get people in by 7.30. If you don't have the resources to get people in quickly enough then get the resources.

Most of the time the crowds are nothing's special, it's just poor organisation. Peterborough for example was just 3 ladies taking their time to take cash and put it in a till. Christ they were in no rush. If you're charging £16 for example to get in have piles of £4 to give as change.

If you have to, stick a table at the end with an exact change only sign. Hand over the exact change, get handed a ticket, money gets thrown in a bucket. Cuts the time down massively.

Old .C.O. would not delay the start for anything ever , he even had signs in the changing rooms 1st race 7.30 no excuses , meeting at Cov always ran like clockwork under his stewardship , woe betide anyone who didn't conform

• Like 3

At Rye House last Saturday there were long queues and some of this was caused by each entrance accepting card payments, which took forever to process. As others have suggested - get this fixed of have separate lanes. Also, a separate place to get programmes works better if they are extra payment - or even selling them to people whilst they queue. We're not talking 100,000 people here.

• Like 1

At Rye House last Saturday there were long queues and some of this was caused by each entrance accepting card payments, which took forever to process. As others have suggested - get this fixed of have separate lanes. Also, a separate place to get programmes works better if they are extra payment - or even selling them to people whilst they queue. We're not talking 100,000 people here.

...thank the lord they don't request gift aid donations like where I work! That's a nightmare and really causes issues with long queues!

Glad they have said that. I have been prone in the past to coast up at the last minute knowing full well there wouldn't be any racing until 7.50sih.

I can easily get there earlier but could never be bothered as it was just longer to wait.

For future reference, what time is racing due to start at Lynn this year in future?

Parade 7.30 - Tapes-Up 7.45

...don't complain about 'old folk' because apparently without them there wouldn't be any speedway considering the problems the sport has attracted youngsters.

am not complaining about them, and know the sport struggles to attrack youngsters :(

a wonder if theres a link ;)

• Like 1

am not complaining about them, and know the sport struggles to attrack youngsters :(

a wonder if theres a link ;)

I wasn't having a go at you personally but just making a general observation so I hope that no offence was taken.

PS That's the trouble with the written word...wish I could activate those smiley faces!

Old .C.O. would not delay the start for anything ever , he even had signs in the changing rooms 1st race 7.30 no excuses , meeting at Cov always ran like clockwork under his stewardship , woe betide anyone who didn't conform

Same with the old Hyde Road Belle Vue...7pm on the dot!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I wasn't having a go at you personally but just making a general observation so I hope that no offence was taken.

definitely not :)

• Like 1

It never used to happen.

As a kid I remember being stuck in the traffic queue for the stadium, getting out of my parents car and running across the field to get in before the start.

I have clear memories of getting in, running up the steps to bend 3 just as a heat was starting.

It never used to happen.

It must have done. My dad often tells of how he used to leave his house at 7.25 for a 7.30 start at Newport. He lived a 15 minute walk away!

I wonder if promoters genuinely are oblivious to how annoying a late start and dragged out meeting are. Something that it costs nothing to fix.

On the dot please, as it otherwise penalises those who have made the effort to be on time for the announced start of racing. At Lynn by the time we wait for those in the queue to get in for Heat One ( delayed start ) , it's time for the sun break ( in midsummer ) and then it can be ( and has been ) 8.30 before Heat One starts. A Big Turn Off.