British Speedway Forum
SCB

The Delayed Start.

Maybe it's not last minute fans but possibly bad organisation?

Of course it not the fans and it's totally down to bad organisation. If you can get 1000ish people into a stadium in 30 minutes then you're doing something very wrong. It's not hard!

Considering at Belle Vue you can pre-book your tickets on line, there should not be delays due to queues of fans buying tickets at the stadium on the day.

It has been common practice at Belle Vue to delay starts due to crowd numbers , or at least that is the excuse they usually trot out. Do not forget you poor folk already in the stadium who have probably planned and got there in good time, that the promotion have already got your money, so they know there is little chance of you being so annoyed that you will walk out, and they are frightened of loosing potential paying customers if they do not delay the start.

It is laughable at speedway when you consider that Old Trafford with its many thousands of fans on match days rarely ever delay the kick off, yet speedway has problems with just a couple of thousand fans.

It will be interesting to see if Kings Lynn carry out their policy of no more delayed starts.

• Like 2

Belle Vue said there was a queue of people waiting to get in but also that the paramedics were attending to someone and that the racing couldn't start until they had finished. They held the parade whilst we were waiting and although I didn't look at my watch my impression was that we didn't seem to be waiting for very long for the first race. The meeting wasn't late finishing.

Belle Vue said there was a queue of people waiting to get in but also that the paramedics were attending to someone and that the racing couldn't start until they had finished. They held the parade whilst we were waiting and although I didn't look at my watch my impression was that we didn't seem to be waiting for very long for the first race. The meeting wasn't late finishing.

The bit in bold comes under unforeseen circumstances and I doubt anyone would complain about waiting whilst they dealt with someone. It sounds as if Belle Vue did all they could to make up time, so well done to them.

• Like 1

It is laughable at speedway when you consider that Old Trafford with its many thousands of fans on match days rarely ever delay the kick off, yet speedway has problems with just a couple of thousand fans.

It will be interesting to see if Kings Lynn carry out their policy of no more delayed starts.

To the best of my knowledge, speedway is the only sport that delays the advertised starting time, to allow those outside to come in.

It's unprofessional, and shouldn't happen if we want the sport to be taken seriously. Can you image the same thing happening at the British Grand Prix in Cardiff.....of course not?

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, speedway is the only sport that delays the advertised starting time, to allow those outside to come in.

It's unprofessional, and shouldn't happen if we want the sport to be taken seriously. Can you image the same thing happening at the British Grand Prix in Cardiff.....of course not?

It happens occasionally in Association Football Matches too. Usually for safety reasons.

Too few turnstiles!! Promoters doing things on the cheap. If I am in the Stadium in plenty of time I am totally pissed off if the start is delayed for any reason.

• Like 1

It happens occasionally in Association Football Matches too. Usually for safety reasons.

That's a different matter altogether if it's for safety reasons.

Too few turnstiles!! Promoters doing things on the cheap. If I am in the Stadium in plenty of time I am totally pissed off if the start is delayed for any reason.

Pleased to hear that it is not only me! Reading the reports on here about the "poor show" ( to be kind about it ) at the Leicester V Poole meeting there is no need for a Big Push by the BSPA. Speedway seems so eager to shoot itself in the foot that it looks as if they will do so until there is no ammunition left.

I think the "doing it on the cheap" has credence here....

Speedway relies so heavily on volunteers, perhaps getting people to take monies off customers at the entrances/turnstiles these days is difficult.. Don't think any turnstile staff have been done over, but the threat is there..

It's hard work getting track staff these days to attend, which is possibly the best place to be as a fan.. Turnstile staff must be the worse possible volunteer post available..

I think the "doing it on the cheap" has credence here....

Speedway relies so heavily on volunteers, perhaps getting people to take monies off customers at the entrances/turnstiles these days is difficult.. Don't think any turnstile staff have been done over, but the threat is there..

It's hard work getting track staff these days to attend, which is possibly the best place to be as a fan.. Turnstile staff must be the worse possible volunteer post available..

I agree - they have to deal with people like............................................ME!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

• Like 1

I agree - they have to deal with people like............................................ME!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

Very rarely!!!!

• Like 2

Very rarely!!!!

Very true!!!!. :sad: :sad: :sad: