British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Rye House V King's Lynn 15/04/17

No it's not hard setting up bikes,but to get it spot on for various surfaces,grippy/slick starts track sizes etc is.Sprocket sizes,clutch set up.It could take several races to get it where you want and it don't always work out.

For Porsing last night he gated very well and this was so very important.Whoever hit the front last night won the race.

Good riders could get their bikes dialled in after their first ride or track walk. When a young Michael Lee first rode for Lynn , accompanied by his father, his bike would be set up from the start. Many times he shared that information with his team mates.

You mentioned Sprocket sizes and Clutch parts, but surely they should be part and parcel of any rider equipped to go racing..... On a track that passing was a premium, it was imperative to make good starts. Surely even our top two speedway riders would know that...

It appears from all reports that Harris, 'not the best gater in the world' substituted top end speed for quick gating. But it brought him 10 points, that included 2 wins..

Just don't think enough importance was put into the task......... We should be better than that....

Of course they will be equipped to go racing.But you know riders often change sprockets during a meeting to try and get the best out of their bikes.You mention Harris he gated twice,he will always make 1 gate in a meeting anyway,he always does.At the end of the day we done well to come away with an 8 point loss after the disastrous start we had.

Onto track prep now,can anyone tell me why the water bowser always avoided putting water down on bend one.

Incidentally Shads, I thought you'd moved, or were moving to Berwick!!

I am, but there's not much you can do about chains when you're moving home. Hopefully be up there mid to late May

Easy to label riders as disgraceful but the margins are so fine in terms of getting to the first bend in front or not and that's where the meeting was won and lost. As long as everybody is giving 100% I don't really ask too much more as a paying supporter. Of course Holder should be winning races but I doubt he's been to Rye for ten or so years, it was a tough night for everyone and you just have to move on to the next one.

• Like 1

I am, but there's not much you can do about chains when you're moving home. Hopefully be up there mid to late May

Lovely people at Berwick Speedway, who I have a lot to do with, and some have become very close family friends. Just wish for their sake, they could put a winning team together.

Hope your move sorts out for you okay.

Before my wife's cancer all returned with a vengeance, we were well down the road to emigrating to the Canary Islands, and hoped to be there by this July, but sadly had to cancel the idea now.

Aside from those that just want to stick the knife in, can anyone explain Watty's poor start? Is it mechanical or in his head as I fully expected him to start the season well after a decent winter in Oz and now that his off-track stuff has been sorted!!

Easy to label riders as disgraceful but the margins are so fine in terms of getting to the first bend in front or not and that's where the meeting was won and lost. As long as everybody is giving 100% I don't really ask too much more as a paying supporter. Of course Holder should be winning races but I doubt he's been to Rye for ten or so years, it was a tough night for everyone and you just have to move on to the next one.

Totally agree.And they all seemed to give 100% last night.Just lost out to the faster starting Rockets who certainly know the set ups from the off.

Incidentally after race 4 when all our riders had done a race each to get their set ups right(GRW :wink: )we won the meeting by 2pts,by 4pts if you wanted to include the TD.

Aside from those that just want to stick the knife in, can anyone explain Watty's poor start? Is it mechanical or in his head as I fully expected him to start the season well after a decent winter in Oz and now that his off-track stuff has been sorted!!

If anyone knew the answer to that, then probably he could write a book to make a fortune. Like you .... I find It difficult to understand how an accomplished rider like Watt's form has been so poor when, he was once a top rider....

I've just got the bug back for going, if they sign Mear they won't see another penny from me until he's out of the team again. I'd actually rather see Boxall, that's how strongly I feel about it.

Glad you got the bug back again. Miss my trips to Rye, only see 2 meetings in total last year. Went to Plymouth NL last week for opening night and it had a real good feeling about the place. Typical NL meeting lots of falls and 3 or 4 really good races, hope to make it regularly as it's only a 55 min drive away. Steve Boxall went through the card pretty easily but then should as he is on a 10+ average. Henry Atkins 16yr old Plymouth reserve looks a name for the future.

• Like 1

Don't know what the problem is with him.He just seemed slow to me last night whether that's mechanical or in his head i don't know.Or maybe age is just catching up with him.All riders will start to drop away eventually the longer they go on,all at varying times obviously.Maybe this is his time.

Nice to see porsing using the GTR engine for the first time in league racing and riding extremely well. He will be the new Mr Kingslynn in my eyes as the effort he puts in on the track and the off track duties he carries out for the club. Big well done to that man!

Just showed Nicklas your post here - very much appreciated. Yes he loves being at Lynn, made West Norfolk home and he wants the Stars to win trophies. Having practiced with the GTR felt confident to use last night at Rye Hous. Set up is different than the GM's but Buster had given him some tips, which proved right. Learnt a lot re sprocket size. Now need to practice and discover different ignition and jet sizes to use. At Rye House the GTR was too strong, but we managed to kill the engine and get power through tyre into a very slick track, with no grip at the starts. Looking forward to Wednesday and Belle Vue, hope Buster gives us plenty of grip.

Forgot to mention the startline girls, wow.

• Like 1

Don't know what the problem is with him.He just seemed slow to me last night whether that's mechanical or in his head i don't know.Or maybe age is just catching up with him.All riders will start to drop away eventually the longer they go on,all at varying times obviously.Maybe this is his time.

I hope it's mechanical, but I fear he's just shot of confidence. Seemed to panic when racing Lambert going into bend 3 in heat 9 and binned it. I fear he's finished in top flight speedway and on his average wouldn't be on the radar of any PL sides. A sad end to a decent speedway career

Forgot to mention the startline girls, wow.

Don't think I endeared myself to them last week when they came round selling 50/50 tickets. When I asked how much, one of them said a pound a strip, to which I quickly replied, "thanks darlin'... and I'll take some raffle tickets as well" Edited by Shads
  • Like 3

It was by no means the worst meeting that I’ve ever seen, as ‘Sommelier’ suggested, but it’s most certainly the worst meeting that I can ever recall seeing at Rye House, although I don’t attend them all these days.

I think most tracks are prepared to suit the home riders to some extent, and I don’t have a real problem with that, but based on last night alone, which was my first, and now most definitely last appearance of 2017, there only appears to be one racing line, thus, no or little passing.

Having been a regular on the speedway scene since 1958, without a break, of all the tracks in operation to today, I have visited Rye House more than any other, and that includes my current club of King’s Lynn, where I’ve been a regular since 1986.

My comments are nothing to do with this particular result, because the home side were deserving of their win, but the thrills and general entertainment have disappeared from this particular venue.

When a rider with a 12.53 average, and boasts a world title to his name, can’t make any real inroads

into conditions, then something can’t be right.

As for the stadium, it becomes a bigger tip every time I see it, and Mr Jenson seems to have achieved absolutely nothing with it, other than to make it a total eyesore.

Although it’s nobody’s fault other than nature dealing a cruel hand, my wife has double lung cancer along with a blood clot on one of them, plus she has major mobility problems with arthritis covering her entire body, and I’m sad to say that the stadium (stand area) has become a major health hazard for her, whilst she continues to try and lead as normal a life as possible, without looking an invalid.

However, because the mangement in their wisdom, have removed the concrete staircase to the stand on the home straight, where she needs to be, to keep out of the worst of the elements, the climb up is now to steep for any older person, and as a result, she fell down two flights of concrete steps last night, cutting her left leg fairly badly, and causing some bruising to her spine. By the grace of whoever, it was fortunate that I was behind her, to break the worst of the fall, otherwise the consequences don’t bear thinking about. I’m amazed this place has passed the Health & Safety regulations!!

Once recovered from the shock of what had happened, we struggled to get up into the bar area, where it has to be said, the viewing is quite good. But even that wasn’t easy, as the public stand on the staircase to that bar, and can in the odd case, be quite stubborn and rude when asked to move out of the way, so you can get through. Standing should not be allowed on those stairs, and it’s high time that Mr Jenson confronted these people and told them to move elsewhere, instead of just wandering around the stadium with a coffee cup in one hand, and mobile phone in the other.

Anyway, once seated and watching the from the gate races, we had to endure an evening of foul mouth beer swillers standing behind us, showing no respect for women and children around them, with their constant ‘F’ this and ‘F’ that, and why doesn’t Bomber stick so and so in the ‘F...ing’ fence, and so on and so forth. Simply terrible.

As for the sound system in that area, it was almost inaudible, for whatever reason, and needs looking at. You could hear Craig on the roving mic okay, but the announcer in the box, who I believe was probably Kevin Moore, you just couldn’t hear, which is a shame.

When Len Silver was there, the place was in a time warp, of which I often critised, but in hindsight, Rye House Speedway was in a far better place then, than it is now with the present owners, and whilst we hear a lot of talk on the future plans for the venue, I just get a gut feeling, that it won’t be to long before the club is a thing of the past. I hope not, but the whole atmosphere of the place just doesn’t feel right or welcoming any more.

I’m sorry if this has upset any Rye House fans, but as a paying customer, I had to say what I felt.

I agree with a lot of that, The stand is a health and safety accident waiting to happen,or in your case has happened. I saw lots of people struggling to get to the higher up seats and I am amazed they are allowed to use a scaffold staircase to access the bar, and even more amazed they allow people to stand in this area, that cannot possibly pass any fire regulations and bearing in mind this is all above where they fry food

The swearing I didn't hear, but when the tannoy is blasting out music laden with the f word I guess people feel free to say as they please, more annoying were the amount of people using airhorns when the announcer was giving out the race times

I've not been to Rye much, only my second visit yesterday both have been this season so can't compare to how it was in previous seasons but understand with new promoters they need to be given time

I will return, possibly next week for the visit of Poole and hope the track is more like it was for the visit of Wolves than it was last night

• Like 1

Well what a moaning lot some fans Kings Lynn are:

The Tracks rubbish - yes it was slick but after early rain I guess they got the watering wrong when the sun came out late afternoon

Holders rubbish - maybe it just wasnt his night as there was no "gimme" points last night, but over the season I will swap him for Watt

Lamberts rubbish - last time he broke the track record 3 times but now he has a "hurty" shoulder

The stadiums rubbish - Now this one gets the biscuit, the stadium was pretty well condemned after the "untouchable" Len Silver ruined it and by all the accounts BMR are having to replace everything and there is an incredible amount to do, please give them time and support as this no doubt will be very very expensive. How disrespectful to critise another track just think of how poor Coventry fans feel right now, what would they give to be owned by BMR.

You have a very useful team this year (a number of posts from Rye House fans have praised the KL riders from last night) even maybe the champions in the end, so enjoy the season support your team and be as gracious as you can in defeat.

• Like 4