British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

This debate about publishing attendance figure has come round again for the umpteenth time.

Can we have a poll set up to see what members want?

Does anyone know how to set up a poll?

This debate about publishing attendance figure has come round again for the umpteenth time.

Can we have a poll set up to see what members want?

Does anyone know how to set up a poll?

If I recall the Speedway Star used to quote the British attendance figures during a short trial basis?

So assuming that the total average for one match of all the premiership clubs is less than 20,000 and certainly ditto for the championship there may be less than 50,000 UK fans in total and that's being generous I suspect. Add in another 10,000 TV fans who never go to a match If that is the case you cannot run the sport in the way it is now ( with the outgoings it has now ) And you cannot afford many more leakages of fans. Hopefully my guesstimates are wrong but I feel that if they are, then not by much.

I ve seen photos on Facebook from stoke, and by stoke standards it looked a very healthy crowd.

So assuming that the total average for one match of all the premiership clubs is less than 20,000 and certainly ditto for the championship there may be less than 50,000 UK fans in total and that's being generous I suspect.

I'd agree. The British GP attendance is probably about the sum total of remaining fans.

I was at Redcar versus Ipswich on April 20th, as a neutral. Doubt there were 500 watching. Got talking to a woman before the meeting. She said she was the promoter's wife. Having been a regular at Cleveland Park between 1991 and 1996, when I worked on Teesside, I asked her about Redcar's crowds this season. She said the previous week's, for a cup-tie with Peterborough, had been "good" - then added it was 581. IIRC, in the club's last season, 1996, Middlesbrough Bears' attendances rarely dropped below 850.

The fact that we're going to have a Labour government in June is creating consumer confidence.

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn Fan
  • Like 2

Belle vues have been good.

Leicester meeting Friday less so. About 1300 on Friday

I was once told, speedway crowd figures weren't announced to hide that information from the taxman.

a common allegation but I I have pointed out on a number of occasions the taxman collects VAT on the basis of detailed verified returns rather than looking at the local newspaper (or internet forum). In history only football and to a lesser extent rugby have ever published crowd figures - I've never seen detailed attendances from cricket, ice hockey etc - surely you aren't suggesting are not all conning HMRC?

The fact that we're going to have a Labour government in June is creating consumer confidence.

That 'Flying Pig" is having a whale of a time at the moment!

• Like 2

One views all the comments in regard to signs of improved attendances for speedway meetings, and such a trend it to be welcomed.

However, it does tend to arise comparison thoughts among "...us oldies..." We see figures like 2,000 attending a meeting as being very good. But harking back to 1953 - New Cross closed because of (a) they were refused permission to sign Olle Nygren and this caused attendances to decline to "...around 8,000..."! How times have changed. :sad:

Edited by Guest

In history only football and to a lesser extent rugby have ever published crowd figures - I've never seen detailed attendances from cricket, ice hockey etc - surely you aren't suggesting are not all conning HMRC?

Rugby (by which I assume you mean rugby union) has never been particularly open when it comes to divulging attendance figures. The professional and semi-professional teams (ie not the numerous amateur clubs) playing rugby league, on the other hand, have published attendance figures through the sport's history.

After months of having no speedway, no live streams etc, there is a thirst for speedway early on. The real test comes when fans are able to access stuff live on the internet again. If you can sit indoors and watch in the comfort of your own four walls, in your boxers, why bother to shell out cash and time down at your local track? There's stuff from all over the globe now, live racing, and this must impact on the need to actually attend in person. Also notice that a few fans are putting races on the likes of Facebook just moments after they've finished, which may damage the sport in the long run.

• Like 1

.. and, just for those people who feel internet speedway or satellite speedway doesn't actually impact on speedway at the track... just remember how popular internet shopping is now and how some stores are actually closing. Some are quite happy to shop from home and can't be bothered actually leaving their armchairs.

Edited by moxey63