British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

If this is correct and I assume it is - that

"BAGS meesting keep many dog tracks open. They really don't make anything from the people in the stadium, who usually get in free. The filmed racing is sold around the world for very good money, particularly the Far East, and can be a track's biggest source of income. BAGS income a Brough Park is I believe the biggest and is in excess of £500.000."

Why Oh Why do the BSPA not try their best to emulate a profit making role for filmed speedway racing to be sold around the world on a profitable basis ( yes I am aware that it is for gambling and that can be open to corruption ) but if it can make greyhound racing popular and profitable around the world it could do the same regardless of how many fans are on the terraces? I have pushed the idea for two or three years of screening live Pay Per View UK speedway matches. It would have been a better investment bet than the Gerhard engine strategy.

Over 10 years out of date. In the early 00's there was a plan to create a live actual meeting using an actual meeting, with transponders on the riders bikes, and they would covert the signals onto a digitised riders on a simulated track. That's why the much laughed at green Helmet cover was introduced. It would have allowed people at home and abroad, the opportunity to bet on races live, with the profit being the BSPA's, after overheads were taken care of. Technical difficulties stopped the initiative, but betting would have been a saviour in those days. Fans laughed at the idea of the green helmet cover, but it was pivotal to the idea for this extra money stream.

All promoters attended presentations in London, and it was impressive and looked likely to succeed. I believe horse racing has something similar now called Park Court, or something like that. Digitised horse with riders on, are shown racing for betting purposes. The Far East was the targeted market.

• Like 1

Over 10 years out of date. In the early 00's there was a plan to create a live actual meeting using an actual meeting, with transponders on the riders bikes, and they would covert the signals onto a digitised riders on a simulated track. That's why the much laughed at green Helmet cover was introduced. It would have allowed people at home and abroad, the opportunity to bet on races live, with the profit being the BSPA's, after overheads were taken care of. Technical difficulties stopped the initiative, but betting would have been a saviour in those days. Fans laughed at the idea of the green helmet cover, but it was pivotal to the idea for this extra money stream.

All promoters attended presentations in London, and it was impressive and looked likely to succeed. I believe horse racing has something similar now called Park Court, or something like that. Digitised horse with riders on, are shown racing for betting purposes. The Far East was the targeted market.

Very interesting Tsunami. I had no idea about any of that. :t::approve: :approve:

Cheers for the info. :t:

So absolutely nothing to do with what Waytogo is proposing.

Horse Racing has nothing similar to this crackpot idea. There is 'virtual racing' but that is nothing to do with horses with transponders on. There is also 'virtual speedway' on a number of betting sites. Neither of them will be any sort of money spinner when there is so much 'real' action you can bet on.

The pay per view streaming of meetings is an interesting idea that could be explored, but it will never happen as the promoters will immediately think of the first negative that comes into their heads and bin any idea... which has been the ongoing problem in the sport for decades. Hence.. it it where it is.

Edited by BWitcher

"BAGS meesting keep many dog tracks open. They really don't make anything from the people in the stadium, who usually get in free. The filmed racing is sold around the world for very good money, particularly the Far East, and can be a track's biggest source of income. BAGS income a Brough Park is I believe the biggest and is in excess of £500.000."

Why Oh Why do the BSPA not try their best to emulate a profit making role for filmed speedway racing to be sold around the world on a profitable basis ( yes I am aware that it is for gambling and that can be open to corruption ) but if it can make greyhound racing popular and profitable around the world it could do the same regardless of how many fans are on the terraces? I have pushed the idea for two or three years of screening live Pay Per View UK speedway matches. It would have been a better investment bet than the Gerhard engine strategy.

I think the comparison is a slightly unfair one, although I see your point..

I think your view of BAGS contracts keeping dog tracks open is correct - I heard one speedway promoter was terrified that he might lose his - but greyhound racing is all about betting, nothing else. The television coverage is just so that people in bookies can bet on meetings without even being there and see what is going on, which is better than just hearing the results over a tannoy for sure.

Betting in speedway certainly exists but it is a much, much lower level and is nowhere near as important. Speedway is about people supporting teams or just liking the racing and I doubt that there are many who go to a bookies just to watch the dogs running round.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

So absolutely nothing to do with what Waytogo is proposing.

Yes, of course it has nothing to do with making money for transmitted speedway racing.

What a muppet.

Edited by Tsunami

Yes, of course it has nothing to do with making money for transmitted speedway racing.

What a muppet.

Correct, transmitting an event with graphics linked to transponders has absolutely nothing to do with pay per view speedway.

The very fact that you think Horse Racing has 'something similar' says it all... Not a clue.

Something in the People last Sunday about the possibility of Greyhound racing being banned, anyone see it? That would really put a spanner in the works.

Something in the People last Sunday about the possibility of Greyhound racing being banned, anyone see it? That would really put a spanner in the works.

It certainly would.

Did they give any reason why Greyhound Racing should be banned?

It certainly would.

Did they give any reason why Greyhound Racing should be banned?

I think mainly from the cruelty point of view, the treatment of retired greyhounds, in which they have a point but it will put many speedway supporters between a rock and a hard place.

I think speedway racing is the dogs bollox - compared to watching the dogs bollox chasing a hare for a couple of laps!! :D:D

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

I think mainly from the cruelty point of view, the treatment of retired greyhounds, in which they have a point but it will put many speedway supporters between a rock and a hard place.

I love my Speedway, but I would put the welfare of a Dog before it every day.

• Like 2

I love my Speedway, but I would put the welfare of a Dog before it every day.

Went to a couple of Dog Meetings...out of curiosity more than anything but not my thing!

• Like 1

Vanishing posts.

i have signed up to be notified when new posts are made. Today under this topic I have been notified of at least two posts but when I log on to the forum the new posts are no where to be seen, any thoughts? Are we being censored?

Vanishing posts.

i have signed up to be notified when new posts are made. Today under this topic I have been notified of at least two posts but when I log on to the forum the new posts are no where to be seen, any thoughts? Are we being censored?

I hope not. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

reasonably well balanced teams, a clear league structure, lots of young brits coming through

why wouldn't crowds pick up

• Like 2