British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

It's a catch 22 though. When Speedway was a well publicised and popular sports companies would employ riders and give them the time off that they needed. Now that just isn't going to happen, it is very difficult for a youngster to find a job now that allows time off for Speedway. For most it comes down to self employment if possible or working off season. In all fairness very few riders make their living out of Speedway, the majority do something else at least off season.

I'd agree with some of that. It may mean having to run speedway at weekends (a bit like grass tracks during it's hey days) but that's obviously simpler said than done with many tracks having to operating round their landlords and the effects of the GPs.

"Wishin and Hopin" the great song by Dusty Springfield comes to mind. Everyone wants things to improve but no one wants to do anything, at least thats how it looks from reading these pages and personal experience.

From late last year and into the new year I ran a competition inviting schools and colleges to design a poster for our local club, out of the 40 invited only one entry was received. There must have been many speedway supporting parents and grandparents of students that could have encouraged the schools/colleges to take part. The one entry was of such good quality that it was put into print and announced on our club forum that copies were available but not one enquiry was received.

While the BSPA deserve criticism there is a lot that the keen supporter can do to spread the word very easily to get the numbers up.

"Wishin and Hopin" the great song by Dusty Springfield comes to mind. Everyone wants things to improve but no one wants to do anything, at least thats how it looks from reading these pages and personal experience.

From late last year and into the new year I ran a competition inviting schools and colleges to design a poster for our local club, out of the 40 invited only one entry was received. There must have been many speedway supporting parents and grandparents of students that could have encouraged the schools/colleges to take part. The one entry was of such good quality that it was put into print and announced on our club forum that copies were available but not one enquiry was received.

While the BSPA deserve criticism there is a lot that the keen supporter can do to spread the word very easily to get the numbers up.

I gave some talks at a number of schools many years ago in an attempt to promote the sport but felt that I wasn't given enough in the way of support from the promoter at the time, If I recall I had been promised a bike prior to the talks but nothing materialised and I was left to try and generate some enthusiasm from my own resources (okay I was lent a team suit but hardly inspiring)

• Like 1

Agree...there were a few Robins fans that were prepared to give their time for free to distribute leaflets to homes and businesses. They heard nothing from the club.

They need to get fans more involved. After races always have victory lap, go into the crowd after meetings, like they used to, to have pics taken and sign autographs. Very little rapport between riders and fans.

If every club had racing as good as Zummerzet and promoting as good as IOW and Glasgow the sport wouldn't be on a downer.

Agree...there were a few Robins fans that were prepared to give their time for free to distribute leaflets to homes and businesses. They heard nothing from the club.

They need to get fans more involved. After races always have victory lap, go into the crowd after meetings, like they used to, to have pics taken and sign autographs. Very little rapport between riders and fans.

If every club had racing as good as Zummerzet and promoting as good as IOW and Glasgow the sport wouldn't be on a downer.

Berwick riders go into the crowd after the meetings, the kids swarm round them for photos and autographs.

• Like 4

Berwick riders go into the crowd after the meetings, the kids swarm round them for photos and autographs.

That is how it should be at all clubs, also give the youngsters rider or team stickers etc, let them all enter for a draw for a team race bib and they will want to come again.

• Like 2

Far be it for me to pour cold water on your enthusiasm beefy beefy :lol: but in another Post I read there was concern by that member because the latest IoW attendance was an estimated 300!

Far be it for me to pour cold water on your enthusiasm beefy beefy :lol: but in another Post I read there was concern by that member because the latest IoW attendance was an estimated 300!

But it is still better than the 150 that were there when I went. We ain't gonna see 80000 again as my dad who was a Wembley fan told me about. Those halcyon days of Speedway being second to football are over but I love the racing as much now as I did at New Cross in 1963.

• Like 1

But it is still better than the 150 that were there when I went. We ain't gonna see 80000 again as my dad who was a Wembley fan told me about. Those halcyon days of Speedway being second to football are over but I love the racing as much now as I did at New Cross in 1963.

It's strange to think that when our beloved New Cross closed for the first time in 1953 because of falling attendances - claimed by promoter Fred Rockford because they were refused permission to sign Olle Nygren -attendaces were around 8-9,000!

It's strange to think that when our beloved New Cross closed for the first time in 1953 because of falling attendances - claimed by promoter Fred Rockford because they were refused permission to sign Olle Nygren -attendaces were around 8-9,000!

Can't remember what they were in 63, too long ago!

I agree with the earlier comments from Mike BV.

I haven't been to speedway at all this season. I still get the Star and flick through it and come and have a look on here once or twice a week but that's it.

For me, value for money and credibility are the main factors.

The racing at Sheffield last season was garbage in the main and I can't think of many times where I thought I had come out having had value for my £15.

I can remember the first meeting I went to in 1974 and the team was Wyer, Wilson, Valentine, Haley, Paulson, Haynes and Pendlebury. Apart from Bob Valentine all were pretty local and they rode for Sheffield. That was their team and I felt like there was some sort of belonging.

This season six of the seven Sheffield riders are riding for other clubs in the U.K and that sense of belonging has gone. Trying to explain this to newcomers is embarrassing enough without the guest rider rule and the double points tacticals.

Edited by tigerowl
  • Like 5

I haven't been to speedway at all this season. I still get the Star and flick through it and come and have a look on here once or twice a week but that's it.

The racing at Sheffield last season was garbage in the main and I can't think of many times where I thought I had come out having had value for my £15.

I can remember the first meeting I went to in 1974 and the team was Wyer, Wilson, Valentine, Haley, Paulson, Haynes and Pendlebury. Apart from Bob Valentine all were pretty local and they rode for Sheffield. That was their team and I felt like there was some sort of belonging.

This season six of the seven Sheffield riders are riding for other clubs in the U.K and that sense of belonging has gone. Trying to explain this to newcomers is embarrassing enough without the guest rider rule and the double points tacticals.

Many Elite sports have a similar situation with Ice Hockey and Basketball, etc.

I think value for money, certainly, is a factor for all of us. I, too, didn't go to Sheffield as much as usual last season because of the crap racing and the early season reports that it was just about the same mean that I haven't been yet. A good friend of mine had 6 meetings pencilled in at Owlerton but after attending the opener it went down to 2.

I am, however, most reliably informed that last week it was pretty good, so maybe its time for another try.

Riders have been doubling up for decades - not to the same extent, admittedly, but they have. I don't really have an issue with it per se but its all got out of hand. I would say, though, that the fact that a rider might ride for someone else wouldn't affect the way I view him.

The thing with rules is you simply can't compare them with other sports. Try turning it round and looking at football through a speedway fans eyes. Offside ? Really ? A football fan might laugh at double points, but they have a system where one goal counts as two and while that occurs only infrequently, its exactly the same.

I think tonight could be a defining night for some Stars fans if it's another 15 heats of FTG's

Halifax Tiger, I accept what you are saying to a degree. There has been doubling up since 1968 when the Second Division was reintroduced but it was on a limited scale and, as you say, it has got out of hand. Craig Cook being captain of Belle Vue and Workington is unacceptable and riders missing meetings because they are riding for other clubs is damaging integrity. Try explaining to a newcomer that Sheffield have borrowed Richard Lawson from Glasgow to replace Josh Grajczonek as he is riding for Somerset!

I don't think that the football comparison stands up. The away goals rule (which I think is the one you are referring to) is only used to separate teams in two legged cup matches that have tied on aggregate.

A more accurate comparison would be for a team that was 3-0 down in a game to nominate their next goal to count as two. Can you imagine the uproar in football if that was suggested.

• Like 2