British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

To Win Or A Spectacle

Last season the NL did away with tactical (Maybe a different name) rides, was it a good move or not ?. The move was made i think primarily because a Team or Teams had lost matches because of the double points rule.

I think if the Tactical ride rule was re-introduced as 3,2,1 point score if a Team was 8 or more points behind, it would prove to be more of a spectacle for spectators, surely its much better than watching un competitive races, Im not saying that a tactical should be allowed to unfairly influence the result of a meeting which is what double points did, but once a meeting is heading for only one result surely its better that racing remains of interest.

• Like 2

The double points rule makes the sport look Micky mouse.

Try explaining it to a football fan and they will probably laugh.

It is like saying Liverpool are Winning 3 - 0 so if the opponents score they can have 2 goals for the price of one and make the score 3 - 2 and therefore more interesting.

I wish they would remove it completely f on the rules.

• Like 1

It is like saying Liverpool are Winning 3 - 0 so if the opponents score they can have 2 goals for the price of one and make the score 3 - 2 and therefore more interesting.

Fully agree! Even the Elite League title went to the second best team because of this. (Reading v Peterborough)

We should also scrap play offs, to use your analogy, imagine the ridicule if Chelsea and Spurs have to play off with two others no matter what the results are next week or so.

I think this was all down to Sky and I cancelled my Sports Subscriptions 3 years ago although I have to admit this was largely due to wanting to be shot of Pearson and his manic Woofy Woofy nonsense

Never really been happy with the TR rule , I've always felt to get double points the rider should at least have to win the race , don't se why you should get extra points for beating the opponents second string rider for 3 rd place , I also feel that it should not be available to the home team

• Like 1

Last season the NL did away with tactical (Maybe a different name) rides, was it a good move or not ?. The move was made i think primarily because a Team or Teams had lost matches because of the double points rule.

I think if the Tactical ride rule was re-introduced as 3,2,1 point score if a Team was 8 or more points behind, it would prove to be more of a spectacle for spectators, surely its much better than watching un competitive races, Im not saying that a tactical should be allowed to unfairly influence the result of a meeting which is what double points did, but once a meeting is heading for only one result surely its better that racing remains of interest.

The National League is much better for not having a tactical ride rule.

The other leagues should catch up.

Never heard of away goals count double on European cup matches

Only in the event of a draw at the end of the second leg

Only in the event of a draw at the end of the second leg

Its not quite the same, but its still one goal counting as two.

I must admit I haven't really missed TR rides in the NL.

I am delighted that the N.L. dispensed with the ludicrous TR and double points. A winning score is a winning score and should not be

artificially altered. The other leagues should follow suit now that Sky are not there to influence. I hope that no one considers bring back

the Tactical Substitute rule...always brought in for heat 8 to give a top rider an easy win over inferior opposition and leaving a rider who

really needs the ride ( and poss points) ie, the reserve, without the money. Years ago at Hackney where I was a regular, match after

match was lost by a heat 8 T/S . Good riddance to that rule.

The suggestion came from the Buxton team manager via myself at the AGM and there was no one more surprised than me when it was voted on and accepted. This year a suggestion was made by another club to reinstate it and it got no support so its obviously what the NL clubs want as a whole. Most changes that are suggested arise from a situation a particular club has and then it is either supported by the rest of the league or not.

• Like 2

Never really been happy with the TR rule , I've always felt to get double points the rider should at least have to win the race , don't se why you should get extra points for beating the opponents second string rider for 3 rd place , I also feel that it should not be available to the home team

I have no problem with Speedway having a tactical element and in fact I think it adds to the show to have some sort of tactical element. Dont like double points however. I also feel that any tactical elements stated aim should be to combat home advantage and as such should only be available to the away side.

• Like 1

The suggestion came from the Buxton team manager via myself at the AGM and there was no one more surprised than me when it was voted on and accepted. This year a suggestion was made by another club to reinstate it and it got no support so its obviously what the NL clubs want as a whole. Most changes that are suggested arise from a situation a particular club has and then it is either supported by the rest of the league or not.

So the lack of a tactical ride is here to stay and that seems to be what the majority on this thread want too.

What i am trying to suggest is whilst I notice no-one is in favour of double points, in my opinion its just a gimmick brought in for Tv only. Im sure no-one likes to see 50+ point home or away wins, they generally are no good for the Sport as a spectacle, what ways are there to keep spectators interested not so much in the result, but to keep some races interesting ?, as an example to see Boxhall take on the opposing Teams top riders 1 or 2 more times in a meeting thats already lost, but in the case of Eastbourne losing away to Mildy even that would not have helped, because they didnt have an outstanding rider at that particular meeting so even such a rule would not have helped improve the spectacle in such an instance. Im just putting this out their for discussion as Speedway as a whole needs to be doing something that supporters find easy to understand, not by messing with averages (12+ average what a joke that is) which clearly is not working, and leave the Sport open to manipulation.

Then we have the added situation of the NL having the NO asset rule Imposed yes Imposed on it by the BSPA heirachy, which then doesnt allow the NL to even have a vote at the AGM, how can they decide whats best for a League deemed seperate when it comes to voting, but part of when it comes to imposing self interested rulings ?.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

I am delighted that the N.L. dispensed with the ludicrous TR and double points. A winning score is a winning score and should not be

artificially altered. The other leagues should follow suit now that Sky are not there to influence. I hope that no one considers bring back

the Tactical Substitute rule...always brought in for heat 8 to give a top rider an easy win over inferior opposition and leaving a rider who

really needs the ride ( and poss points) ie, the reserve, without the money. Years ago at Hackney where I was a regular, match after

match was lost by a heat 8 T/S . Good riddance to that rule.

True although it rears its ugly head every time a team runs RR and effectively spoils most heat 8's.

As for the nos assets in the NL its truly ludicrous. The teams that nurture, give the initial breaks & take the initial risks on rookie riders no longer have the ability to make them an asset or prosper from the success if a higher tier club wishes to buy them in the future. How many higher tier teams (Scunny aside) are doing anything to help the progression on the next generation of riders?.