British Speedway Forum

I could be totally wrong with this it has been 40 years but I'm sure the first I knew about Kevin Holden was when I bought the star. I'm sure the covers headline said. Holden dead or Holden killed. Maybe wrong on that but remember being stunned when I went to buy it

​A couple of years ago, there was another thread in SPEEDWAY NEWS AND DISCUSSIONS with the same title dealing with the tragedy of Kevin Holden's death.

It also carried a mention of the inquest which was quite interesting - but very sad - to read.

This is the Link to the previous thread about the Kevin Holden tragedy.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=33636

Edited by Guest

Gary Peterson was my first speedway-related death, then Tommy Jansson. It really shocked me as a teenager, somebody doing something I loved watching was a t risk of being killed. Kevin Holden was scoring really well in his few matches for new club Poole, I recall, and still know what Star magazine (Steve Bastable on the cover) the news of his death featured.

Really does stick in the memory... even 40 years on.

Same as you.At least Gary was the first rider i had seen and even met and got his autograph and then died.Was a shock as you say.Possibly the first person i sort of knew that had died,although my great Grandmother had died before,but i was young at the time and she just sort of disappeared more than died......

Svein Kaasa was the first rider i knew of who died as a result of a track crash. He started the 1972 season at Oxford but was soon replaced by Preben Rosenkilde and eventually signed for Glasgow where he was showing promising form before his death. I was quite shocked by the news I remember and in my present job portraying a Viking I have adopted his name (Svein) in memory of him.

• Like 1

The first Rider I can remember being killed in a Track accident was Peter Craven in 1963.

That was before I had even been to Speedway. My first Meeting being in 1964.

The first rider I can recall in a fatal accident was in October, 1946, when Birmingham's Canadian rider Charlie Appleby died after an accident at Newcastle.

Svein Kaasa was the first rider i knew of who died as a result of a track crash. He started the 1972 season at Oxford but was soon replaced by Preben Rosenkilde and eventually signed for Glasgow where he was showing promising form before his death. I was quite shocked by the news I remember and in my present job portraying a Viking I have adopted his name (Svein) in memory of him.

Thinking back Svein ( because Martin was involved) and Geoff Curtis were the first i can remember passing Geoff i believe would of gone on to good things.

Thinking back Svein ( because Martin was involved) and Geoff Curtis were the first i can remember passing Geoff i believe would of gone on to good things.

You're right Sid and I remember Norman Hunter saying that he saw the poor lad fighting for his life in the changing room with the doctor trying all he could to revive him.

As regards Geoff he used to live not far from me and it was strongly rumoured that he was about to join 'The Rebels' for the 1974 season. His protege Alan Sorensen rode a few second halves at Cowley and, I believe, Swindon that season.

Edited by steve roberts

You're right Sid and I remember Norman Hunter saying that he saw the poor lad fighting for his life in the changing room with the doctor trying all he could to revive him.

As regards Geoff he used to live not far from me and it was strongly rumoured that he was about to join 'The Rebels' for the 1974 season. His protege Alan Sorensen rode a few second halves at Cowley and, I believe, Swindon that season.

i

I remember Alan Sorensen along with other juniors around that time Bobo Valentine, Billy Wall, Martin Hitch and later in 75 Melvin Soffe.Can you remember John Bishop having a spell with you 69/70 maybe? i went for a few meetings in 73/74 when Kilb joined you i was a big fan went to that big individual meeting there a few years was it the Supporters club trophy.? Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

iI remember Alan Sorensen along with other juniors around that time Bobo Valentine, Billy Wall, Martin Hitch and later in 75 Melvin Soffe.Can you remember John Bishop having a spell with you 69/70 maybe? i went for a few meetings in 73/74 when Kilb joined you i was a big fan went to that big individual meeting there a few years was it the Supporters club trophy.?

Yes I well remember my brother coming home from meetings and talking about John Bishop...just before my time!

I recall Melvin Soffe together with Kevin Pope...I think Billy Wall was actually born in Oxford?

The big Individual meeting at Cowley used to be 'The Champions Trophy'...prize money of £100!

Yes I well remember my brother coming home from meetings and talking about John Bishop...just before my time!

I recall Melvin Soffe together with Kevin Pope...I think Billy Wall was actually born in Oxford?

The big Individual meeting at Cowley used to be 'The Champions Trophy'...prize money of £100!

Kevin Pope, Malc Holloway, Richard Evans, Kevin Young had some real old ding dongs in the second halves.I never ever in my wildest dreams thought Malc would achieve what he did but thinking now in a way he underachieved.

Kevin Pope, Malc Holloway, Richard Evans, Kevin Young had some real old ding dongs in the second halves.I never ever in my wildest dreams thought Malc would achieve what he did but thinking now in a way he underachieved.

Kevin Young showed some promise when with Oxford but was sacked when he missed a meeting to ride at/for Swindon during a second half if I remember?

Kevin Young showed some promise when with Oxford but was sacked when he missed a meeting to ride at/for Swindon during a second half if I remember?

I thought he was on loan to Oxford like Malc ? was he not a Swindon asset.? Edited by Sidney the robin

I have no idea in what seasons 'The Champions Trophy' was contested with its £100 prize money. But remember spending differentials have changed over the years. If the event was staged in 1970 for example, its spending value was equal to £1,512 in today's terms.

I have no idea in what seasons 'The Champions Trophy' was contested with its £100 prize money. But remember spending differentials have changed over the years. If the event was staged in 1970 for example, its spending value was equal to £1,512 in today's terms.

I think 1969/75 were the years not sure Steve will correct me. Edited by Sidney the robin