British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow Tigers V Peterborough Panthers , Cl , Sat 27th May 2017 At 7pm

Only one rider plus moaning George seemed to think so.

Can't remember the last time we had a strong showing at your track anyway. We won last year by a point (44-45). Both teams struggle away at the rival track. It happens.

Can't remember the last time we had a strong showing at your track anyway. We won last year by a point (44-45). Both teams struggle away at the rival track. It happens.

just wait till the Bears come to Newcastle, doesn't seem to be any fixtures for them, they must be putting it off cos their papping it ;)

just wait till the Bears come to Newcastle, doesn't seem to be any fixtures for them, they must be putting it off cos their papping it ;)

It'll pretty much be the same score but we'll be the ones celebrating it.

Thought we might have survived the 5 o clock downpour , but as per usual the rain gods went " haha get it right up you speedway fans " and then it stopped soon as the meeting was called off .

Dragging myself into Glasgow on a Saturday night is hard enough without the raingod taking the piss :sad:

So it was back home to watch the GP on a dodgy track .

• Like 1

Thought we might have survived the 5 o clock downpour , but as per usual the rain gods went " haha get it right up you speedway fans " and then it stopped soon as the meeting was called off .

Serious question with regard to that is, why doesn't a club with Glasgow's financial clout and savvy invest a few hundred quid in track covers to save the thousands a rain-off costs? At Berwick tonight the covers saved the track from the late downpour, rain went off and we saw some awesome racing, despite a heavy defeat and the crashes which weren't caused by the track. This was the third or fourth meeting saved by covers at Shielfield Park this year alone. It took the Tigers five years to catch up with Berwick on foam-fence safety so how long before you get covers?

Serious question with regard to that is, why doesn't a club with Glasgow's financial clout and savvy invest a few hundred quid in track covers to save the thousands a rain-off costs? At Berwick tonight the covers saved the track from the late downpour, rain went off and we saw some awesome racing, despite a heavy defeat and the crashes which weren't caused by the track. This was the third or fourth meeting saved by covers at Shielfield Park this year alone. It took the Tigers five years to catch up with Berwick on foam-fence safety so how long before you get covers?

Five years i would hazard a guess at.

But you are correct covers should be looked at.

So just to digest

1. We are 5 years behind Berwick in poly foam fence

2. We are 5 years behind Berwick track covers

3. We are 5 years in front of Berwick at speedway

Don't think i have missed anything.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

And if we and other clubs had the money invested in us that you lot have had then we'd be on an even keel :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I agree , everything the Facenna's have done has improved the speedway experience in Glasgow immensely , why that hasn't included covers for the track is baffling .

Five years i would hazard a guess at.

But you are correct covers should be looked at.

So just to digest

1. We are 5 years behind Berwick in poly foam fence

2. We are 5 years behind Berwick track covers

Don't think i have missed anything.

Berwick do things very well , we have been fortunate to be where we are , without the financial clout behind us it's doubtful we'd still be running . We don't want to develop a smugness associated with elsewhere , so we wont go down the road of claiming we're in front of anybody .

• Like 3

Serious question with regard to that is, why doesn't a club with Glasgow's financial clout and savvy invest a few hundred quid in track covers to save the thousands a rain-off costs?

Seriously, a 'few hundred quid' for track covers, where can you purchase them from ?

Don't know if they would work at Newcastle, cos the drainage is pants, and suppose that needs to work also, yeah ?

I agree , everything the Facenna's have done has improved the speedway experience in Glasgow immensely , why that hasn't included covers for the track is baffling .

Berwick do things very well , we have been fortunate to be where we are , without the financial clout behind us it's doubtful we'd still be running . We don't want to develop a smugness associated with elsewhere , so we wont go down the road of claiming we're in front of anybody .

Ffs my tongue was firmly in my cheek and this s*it gets posted people get too serious on here.

We may have financial clout but its not a bottomless pit. The facennas have made it clear they want to break even following their initial investment. According to official facebook Gerry was going to speak to the crowd before yesterday meeting. Don't suppose it was to wish them happy holidays 😩

Edited by SharpenRake
  • Like 1

And if we and other clubs had the money invested in us that you lot have had then we'd be on an even keel :rolleyes:

For the record the finances the Facennas invested went on stadium improvements fact.

What the team budget is nobody knows so I can't see how anyone can claim they know how much the budget is may be more who knows , I certainly don't.

The cost of track covers would be equivelent to 1 rain off or less and you will save on average 5 meetings per season with them, you just need around 8 volunteers to cover the track at somepoint before rain starts and some people who are in the pits before the meeting to take them off, preferably start around an hour and a half before scheduled start time, obviously dont take them off if it's still raining, that gives time for the track staff to work on the track.

For the record the finances the Facennas invested went on stadium improvements fact.

What the team budget is nobody knows so I can't see how anyone can claim they know how much the budget is may be more who knows , I certainly don't.

It attracts the riders though... fact, wether you are paying your riders more or not it attracts riders to the club because of the money being put into it. Take Dan Bewley, was riding for Edinburgh (a very siccessful team) and moved to Glasgow despite surely being wanted to be retained by Edinburgh. Edited by allthegearbutnaeidea

The cost of track covers would be equivelent to 1 rain off or less and you will save on average 5 meetings per season with them, you just need around 8 volunteers to cover the track at somepoint before rain starts and some people who are in the pits before the meeting to take them off, preferably start around an hour and a half before scheduled start time, obviously dont take them off if it's still raining, that gives time for the track staff to work on the track.

It attracts the riders though... fact, wether you are paying your riders more or not it attracts riders to the club because of the money being put into it. Take Dan Bewley, was riding for Edinburgh (a very siccessful team) and moved to Glasgow despite surely being wanted to be retained by Edinburgh.

He moved to Glasgow because of Bell Vue and Edinburgh racing on a Friday and he already stated that.

Wether it attracts the riders you would need to ask them I couldn't say for fact that stadium investment is what initially attracted them or not.

We may have financial clout but its not a bottomless pit. The facennas have made it clear they want to break even following their initial investment. According to official facebook Gerry was going to speak to the crowd before yesterday meeting. Don't suppose it was to wish them happy holidays

This

Hits the Nail on the head it is a business they operate and they are extremely good at it.

But as with every business it has to be profitable or at least not loss making.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

Its impossible to know if we break even, only the owners will know that. However as business people im surprised we havent taken action regarding our poor fixture allocation. We have suffered from this for several years. Chuck in 2 rainoffs on top of 2 blank fixtures and having to switch to Sundays for 2 meetings before the end of May and any continuity for fans is lost.

For our last home meet against Redcar, the crowd was very poor. We also have another blank fixture in June, then its school summer holidays when crowds naturally dip as people are away.