British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keef robin

The Best Team

1983 Heathens Team without a doubt.

Simon Wigg, Lance King, Erik Gundersen, Alan Grahame, Phil Collins, Peter Ravn and Jan O Pedersen.

Ended up with a CMA of about 63 if I remember rightly. Reserves had a 7 point average.

Not too shabby!

Just the antidote we needed to Mr Penhall's retirement.

On our return to the sport after a 20 year absence, our Scorpions(at Conference level) in 2006 & 2007 were a joy to watch. Nearly all young lads just starting out in the sport.

2006: W Carter(rider & coach), A Tully, B Compton, B Becker, R Dennis, J Auty, T Woffinden backed up by S Richardson & P Cooper

2007: T Woffinden, J Auty, A Tully, R Dennis, B Compton, B Becker, J Haines backed up by S Richardson, S Anderson, J Cockle

For Lynn in my lifetime it would have to be the 2000 team in the top flight who lost out on the league title that night at Eastbourne, and for the second tier a toss up between the 2006 and 2009 teams which both won the treble.

While those PL sides sweeped up I still have a much bigger affection for the 2005 team

Rye House looking to be treble winners and in the space of a week destroyed their dreams handsomely.

That atmosphere at Rye those two night's will live firmly in the memory as their fans were well and truly irritated while we were all going f'in mental with joy.

That was the year that sent us on the road to success in later years.

You must be a youngster! I am not a Newcastle fan, but many Newcastle teams of the Tom and Joe Owen eras would wipe the floor with either of those.

I AM a kinda youngster :P 21, and I've only been going since 2008, I have heard a lot about Tom and Joe Owen, but obviously, never seen them, or even the likes of Nicki Pedersen and Kenneth Bjerre in Newcastle colours, as I say, the best I've seen is 2010 Newcastle Diamonds... :) What a great year that was... And I only got to go to half the meetings...

• Like 1

Birmingham

Chris Harris

Josh Auty

Ben Barker

Jason Doyle

Danny King

Nico Covatti

Martin Smolinski

That team finished top of the Elite league

Monarchs 2014
Cook, Masters, S Worrall, Sneddon, Sedgmen, Fox, Fricke

Not a team of 'world class' riders but we went 25 matches in a row unbeaten that season. Winning the Play Offs, KOC, Premier Trophy and topping the league. Could also add in the pairs Masters and Fricke won

Cant recall a better team in my time as a Monarchs fan im sure there was some that featured more high profile riders.

• Like 3

Glasgow's first ever league champions in 1993 .

Robert Nagy

Shane Bowes

David Walsh

Nigel Crabtree

Mick Powell

Jesper Olsen

James Grieves

Won the league in a canter and beat Jason Crump's Swindon in the KO Cup Final

Glasgow's first ever league champions in 1993 .

Robert Nagy

Shane Bowes

David Walsh

Nigel Crabtree

Mick Powell

Jesper Olsen

James Grieves

Won the league in a canter and beat Jason Crump's Swindon in the KO Cup Final

Plus David Nagel...

Plus David Nagel...

Yes plus David Nagel

And swap Sean Courtney for Shane Bowes and Stewart MacDonald for Nagel and you have a pretty good 1994 side too

Edited by Paulco

either Hackney 1988 or Newcastle 1982 in the NL for me - that would be a great hypothetical match ...

no way that could happen today though as both teams had 7 Brits as regular starters ....

• Like 1

Hull 2004

Paul Thorp

Emiliano Sanchez

Garry Stead

Emil Kramer

Magnus Karlsson

Ross Brady

Joel Parsons

Oxford 1986 - the only team with a 100% BL record:

Hans Nielsen

Simon Wigg

Marvyn Cox

Andy Grahame

Per Sorensen

Nigel De'ath

Jon Surman

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Monarchs 2014

Cook, Masters, S Worrall, Sneddon, Sedgmen, Fox, Fricke

Not a team of 'world class' riders but we went 25 matches in a row unbeaten that season. Winning the Play Offs, KOC, Premier Trophy and topping the league. Could also add in the pairs Masters and Fricke won

Cant recall a better team in my time as a Monarchs fan im sure there was some that featured more high profile riders.

Beat me too it cj!

And it was the big improvements they each made in their averages and their standards.

Hackney Hawks 1980: Petersen, Plech, Thomsen, Thomas, White, Willmott and Jankowski..Wooden spoonists in 79 to runners-up, with only one change (Jankowski for Bobby McNeil.)

Hackney Kestrels 1988: Galvin, Loram, Louis, Mogridge, Whittaker, Thomas and Rolls..2 draws and 2 defeats (both by 2 points) all season, with an all British team.

1980, that was the first side I can remember supporting for a whole season.

1988, still my favourite side. I recently re-read Mike Western's book about that season.

1980, that was the first side I can remember supporting for a whole season.

1988, still my favourite side. I recently re-read Mike Western's book about that season.

Seven men for one season, a great read. It was a shame we lost half the team to Ipswich the following year.